Mythic working with UO makers :o

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Spotted this over on VE3D, it is a bit vauge but worth a post anyway...

These are exciting days for MMORPG fans here at EA. With the acquisition of Mythic, the UO team will be working with the creative folks who brought us Dark Age of Camelot and are hard at work on the spectacular-looking Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I’m thrilled that the UO team and Mythic will work together to forge Britannia’s future.

There is much to talk about with our new partners, and it will take some time to review and finalize our plans. Because we need to take that time, we are postponing the announcement that we were going to make this week. The in-game fiction cycle will take a break for a bit and will return soon

as taken from here...

http://camelotvault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=18926

and here...

http://www.uo.com/

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Wazkyr said:
never played UO... was it any good :p ?

after about a year and a half after release it was good for about 4 months. then it got fucked up again :(

Outlander

Part of the furniture
UO was awesome for what it did to the genre imo, but it did have so many ups and downs :(

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
UO was the mmorpg experiment, although it was totally unbalanced, laggy, lamer-sensitive and full with bugs, it was highly enjoyable since there had never been anything like it (a huge living world with 100s of players where you could do 'everything')

It was fun until EA took over, then you could buy premium accounts to start with more skills and they started p00ping out shitloads of expansions and that kind of typical EA moneypharm4g3 (and still people say "omfg stupid d0000m yelling prophets " etc in the other thread -_- )

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Morchaoron said:
UO was the mmorpg experiment, although it was totally unbalanced, laggy, lamer-sensitive and full with bugs, it was highly enjoyable since there had never been anything like it (a huge living world with 100s of players where you could do 'everything')

It was fun until EA took over, then you could buy premium accounts to start with more skills and they started p00ping out shitloads of expansions and that kind of typical EA moneypharm4g3 (and still people say "omfg stupid d0000m yelling prophets " etc in the other thread -_- )

Thats why im worried about DAOC and War, looking at Ultima Online/The Sims and the way they added expansion after expansion every 3-5 months

P

Pretarded

UO was totaly sweet untill EA took it over.
My first MMORPG and one of the best imo.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Morchaoron said:
It was fun until EA took over, then you could buy premium accounts to start with more skills
Thats seriusly the lamest form of making money i can think of, cant piss me more off :(

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
dont worry ppl, as long as EA doesnt have the licence wer ok ;D

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
grizzy said:
dont worry ppl, as long as EA doesnt have the licence wer ok ;D

Erm, EA owns mythic, who has the license to make W.A.R - hence EA owns the license.

EDIT: EA *will* own Mythic, they dont yet.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
UO was the best MMORPG I ever played - and played them all I have!
Best bit about it was you could be a bit evil without destroying someone's life in the game.

UO was great till they added Trammel :mad: Ah, how I hark back to the days of killing someone's pack horse after it'd be done to me so many times when I was a (youngling). All part of the game though :)

One of the bits about it was you could attack your guild mates without warning all the time :p

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
Fana said:
Erm, EA owns mythic, who has the license to make W.A.R - hence EA owns the license.

EDIT: EA *will* own Mythic, they dont yet.

:twak:

did u even read what u wrote? owning the licence to warhammer and owning a licence to make a product of warhammer have quite a HUGE difference of weight .. lemme put it into more simple words :

owning warhammer licence >>>>>>>> owning a licence to make a warhammer product

so ..... GW has the right to control EA Myt .. *cough* $$ Mythic and if the wish, they can take away the licence to make W.A.R at any given moment.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
grizzy said:

did u even read what u wrote? owning the licence to warhammer and owning a licence to make a product of warhammer have quite a HUGE difference of weight .. lemme put it into more simple words :

so ..... GW has the right to control EA Myt .. *cough* $$ Mythic and if the wish, they can take away the licence to make W.A.R at any given moment.

very true
Games Workshop revoked the rights to make the previous incarnation of Warhammer from teh company that was doing it
That company unsuccessfully tried to release the work they had done under another title until GW's lawyers decended on them.

GW is a very very canny company, they would never sign over the rights to any of their IP, they'll pull it from Mythic/EA as quicky if they dont like the direction the game is taking.

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
Basicly ppl are just overacting and not thinking clearly... we'll eaither get a very good game or we dont get shit :p

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:
they'll pull it from Mythic/EA as quicky if they dont like the direction the game is taking.

that should be the case, however, GW themselves are not video game designers (let alone mmorpg devs) and do not have the expertise mythic has, thats why i doubt it will be a good thing if they decide to 'intervene' in mythics work on the game itself...

ofcourse its a different story with EA....

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
UO was the best online game ever, EA screwed it up beyond belief. I cannot express how bad EA was for UO.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
grizzy said:
Basicly ppl are just overacting and not thinking clearly... we'll eaither get a very good game or we dont get shit :p

Well said. I'm sure we'll all find another game we all like at some point even if it's not Warhammer

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
grizzy said:

No they cant - they have signed a contract that lets Mythic develop a MMORPG based on the Warhammer IP, and they also recently signed another contract that stated they approve of EA Mythic as the "new" developer". They cannot "take the license away at any given moment". They can only do that if Mythic (EA Mythic) fails on their side of the contractual obligation - they likely have clauses stating they must approve the direction of the game etc, but they will never be able to just pull the plug if they have second thoughts: The basic principle of contractual law is "Pacta sunt servanda" which is latin for "a contract shall be honored". If GW arent pleased with teh direction they can inform Mythic of this and demand certain changes be made, and if for some reason they cannot come to an agreement the issue will end up in a buisness arbitrations court - they cannot say "waaa we dont want to play with you anymore, we are taking our IP, screw you!". That doesnt fly in the buisness world. Once you are in a contractual obligation you sieze to have full control.

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
they also recently signed another contract that stated they approve of EA Mythic as the "new" developer".

Where did you read that? :)

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
Fana said:
No they cant - they have signed a contract that lets Mythic develop a MMORPG based on the Warhammer IP, and they also recently signed another contract that stated they approve of EA Mythic as the "new" developer". They cannot "take the license away at any given moment". They can only do that if Mythic (EA Mythic) fails on their side of the contractual obligation - they likely have clauses stating they must approve the direction of the game etc, but they will never be able to just pull the plug if they have second thoughts: The basic principle of contractual law is "Pacta sunt servanda" which is latin for "a contract shall be honored". If GW arent pleased with teh direction they can inform Mythic of this and demand certain changes be made, and if for some reason they cannot come to an agreement the issue will end up in a buisness arbitrations court - they cannot say "waaa we dont want to play with you anymore, we are taking our IP, screw you!". That doesnt fly in the buisness world. Once you are in a contractual obligation you sieze to have full control.

ROFLROFLROFLORLFOROFLFOORLFORLFR :eek7:

fyi ... the reason can be as easy as ''we dont like this, change it or we roll''

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
I really love it how people from the internet are experts about everything. :)

Regardless, none of you have seen the contract between Mythic and EA, and I highly doubt you've seen the contract between Mythic and GW either, therefore its safe to assume you really don't know fuck all, because they are bound by whats in the contract. Hell part of the contract could be Mythic have to eat shreddies for cereal twice a week, it doesn't matter. Whatever they agreed or signed against in the contract is how it is.

Unless anybody here secretly has access to such contracts, and thus are proberly risking their jobs by talking in depth about the details, shut up with the GW can do this, and Mythic can do this crap. You don't have a clue.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Ryuno said:
I really love it how people from the internet are experts about everything. :)

Regardless, none of you have seen the contract between Mythic and EA, and I highly doubt you've seen the contract between Mythic and GW either, therefore its safe to assume you really don't know fuck all, because they are bound by whats in the contract. Hell part of the contract could be Mythic have to eat shreddies for cereal twice a week, it doesn't matter. Whatever they agreed or signed against in the contract is how it is.

Unless anybody here secretly has access to such contracts, and thus are proberly risking their jobs by talking in depth about the details, shut up with the GW can do this, and Mythic can do this crap. You don't have a clue.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Morchaoron said:
It was fun until EA took over, then you could buy premium accounts to start with more skills

That's 100% bullshit, and if EA start trying to force that kind of greed-crazed shit into WAR I'll be seriously looking at stopping my subscription on principle.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Morchaoron said:

I don't understand how EA can be blamed for Ultima Online turning into a buggy game or being crap etc when they (EA) already owned Origin before UO was released?
EA bought Origin in 1992 and UO didn't come out until 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_Systems

Adari

Part of the furniture
Actually, the maker of UO is Richard Garriott who is now working on NCSoft's Tabula Rasa.

EA has little to do with Ultima Online not being what it was at release. EA also never "took over" UO, as they owned UO and Origin in the first place. I guess they can be blamed for publishing Origin's poorly developed expansions, which decreased UO popularity, but that's about it.

As for these "premium accounts"... no;

In Ultima Online you can buy Advanced Character Tokens from either the official UO website or from ingame vendors owned by players. These tokens allow a new character to receive an amount of skill points and stat points without training, giving this new character a slight advantage. However, this advantage is not at all as good as people on here make it out to be, if anything, it is a headstart. It is very minor and doesn't influence the game in any way.

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
Wazkyr said:
Thats seriusly the lamest form of making money i can think of, cant piss me more off :(

the WORST part is that you actually KNOW that they made those accounts JUST to make money!! if they do this with daoc, im changing to WoW..

P

Pretarded

Adari said:
Actually, the maker of UO is Richard Garriott who is now working on NCSoft's Tabula Rasa.

EA has little to do with Ultima Online not being what it was at release. EA also never "took over" UO, as they owned UO and Origin in the first place. I guess they can be blamed for publishing Origin's poorly developed expansions, which decreased UO popularity, but that's about it.
As soonas Richard Garriott left Origin the game went down to drain and he left coz he couldnt take shit from EA anymore.
And then trammel, aos, Samurai shit came >.<

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
Pretarded said:
As soonas Richard Garriott left Origin the game went down to drain and he left coz he couldnt take shit from EA anymore.
And then trammel, aos, Samurai shit came >.<

Amen. I played from 1997 and I left just before pub16 (march 2002) when it started to get crap, tried it several times after that including AoS and it was appauling.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Adari said:
In Ultima Online you can buy Advanced Character Tokens from either the official UO website or from ingame vendors owned by players. These tokens allow a new character to receive an amount of skill points and stat points without training, giving this new character a slight advantage. However, this advantage is not at all as good as people on here make it out to be, if anything, it is a headstart. It is very minor and doesn't influence the game in any way.

so if daoc had "free account" or "20 quid account and get /level" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom