Mythic introduces buffbot support in 1.60D

W

wyleia

- You can now run two instances of Camelot on one computer in full screen mode. The 1.60b implementation of this feature required that both instances be in windowed mode. Now you can do the same in full-screen mode.

woot, dont need that second computer or that unmentionable program to keep yer buffbot online while u are now :))

Wyleia Mythweaver
50th Sorc of The 30
http://www.the30.org.uk

V

VodkaFairy

I've given up hoping this game will ever be fair :p

Sooner or later you will get boosted and nerfed shortly after. Buffbots are the only thing that really piss me off though, not fair :(

J

Jilly

I don't get it Wyleia

They forbid us to use that program and then present us with the same program and we keep the bot problem:(

It's money with GOA ..cos they dont get any from any people who use daox but as long as u pay 2 accounts to them they r happy and now gonna give that service (will game pay price rise ? )...thats wrong.

I am a serious spellcrafter and admit that..I take a lot of pride in what I do but I can afford only 1 account and would love to run daox to help with my spellcrafting calculations but not to run a 2nd char.

have i got it all wrong ? i dont run daox but really need to now with spellcrafting. Logging in and out to check or calculate items is so time consuming

I can't believe they r giving the bot people the right to make and use bots ;( Got a 50 cleric and only use her for helping in 50 epics and guild work....other than that she is redundant as in emain they dont want clerics for anything othere than in comabt heals :( they got their bots for buffs :(

Personally i don't need no bots ...i'm too good for that

O

old.Hendrick

Does that mean you can run two accounts on one PC, or does it mean you can run your one account twice with different characters?

F

Fightersuntzu

two accounts on 1 pc - trying to login with an already logged in account gives you an error message.

So, basically, run 2 versions of DAoC on the same comp, keep your buffbot in the background and your main up front.

/sigh Mythic - more interested in the cash than the game.

J

Jilly

Yep FighterSunTzu that's really true and very sad :(

C

cHodAX

Like they haven't made enough money from this game anyway, hell they take $250,000 a month from U.S. subscriptions alone and the game has been live 18 months. So there is $4.5 million before we get started, now lets say they have made a further $2 million from the rights worldwide by selling into Europe/Italy/Korea etc..... $6.5 million for a game that took just 12 months to develop and has half it's development staff stolen to work on Mythic's next golden goose.

It is greed plain and simple, they know thier cash cow has a good 6 months left at most so they are quite happy to wreck the game for 90% of the players just to pull in a few extra $100,000. The idea of buffbots isn't what bugs me, it is the idea the bot can sit in a keep and never die whilst the buffed character runs rampage and the buffs never drop no matter how bar he is from the buffer. Will they make buffs drop on zone or ranged? Yes they will, in about 3 months time when half the community is so pissed off that they have left for pastures new, they will then patch buffs to try hang onto to the remaining players and squeeze a little extra cash from them.

G

granny

This is absolute nonsense. Do any of you have any true idea of the costs involved in running an MMORPG? The business model is not an easy one, nor is it a huge cash cow. They are difficult things to run requiring a massive amount of something that hardly any other game requires - continued development costs. Personally I'm all in favour of Mythic allowing and encouraging people to run 2 accounts for whatever reason if it helps guarantee DaoC's continued existence and development.

If you want some insight into the costs and problems involved with MMORPG's then have a read of this post by one of the SWG developers. It's a very long read but it is incredibly informative and I found it quite an eye-opener.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by granny
This is absolute nonsense. Do any of you have any true idea of the costs involved in running an MMORPG? The business model is not an easy one, nor is it a huge cash cow. They are difficult things to run requiring a massive amount of something that hardly any other game requires - continued development costs. Personally I'm all in favour of Mythic allowing and encouraging people to run 2 accounts for whatever reason if it helps guarantee DaoC's continued existence and development.

If you want some insight into the costs and problems involved with MMORPG's then have a read of this post by one of the SWG developers. It's a very long read but it is incredibly informative and I found it quite an eye-opener.

SWG was developed from the ground up and uses it's own engine, DAoC took 12 months and is based on NetImmerse. The graphics/sound/netcode engine was ready to go, they just had to create content and gameplay engine. Buying a proven engine off the shelf is considerably cheaper than taking 3 years to create your own. SWG has over 100 people working on it, Mythic had 30. You are comparing apples with oranges. Fact is Mythic have made a huge amount of revenue from this game and the only reason they have allowed buffbots to exist is to make more money at the expense of other customers gaming experience. 90% of the players in this game agree with me, you are the minority who would like to everyone to belive buffbots aren't killing this game.

Oh and that dev made some gutless remarks in that post, he never mentions any names but throws mud at other MMORPGs and comes up with some bullshit figures of double digits millions for a game that is doing quite poorly, which one does he mean?
DoAC? Nope that cost a fraction of what SWG is costing to make. E&B? Not a chance, it was rushed out and had a small team developing it. AC2? Nope, might have cost millions but not 10+ million that is for sure. Many previews have stated SWG is going to cost more to develop than any other MMORPG ever made, hell that was thier excuse when they set a possible price of £15-20 a month and now they say they are doing it cheaply compared to other games. Frankly the guy is talking bullshit.

G

granny

Well I can't authoritatively comment on most of what you said chodax, I simply don't know, but this:

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
90% of the players in this game agree with me, you are the minority who would like to everyone to belive buffbots aren't killing this game.

... I honestly don't find that to be the case. I've only recently started played DaoC again after 8 months away from it and from what I've seen and heard it's more like 50/50 than 90/10 against/for buffbots. OK maybe a lot of that 50% really *are* strongly against buffbots but that doesn't stop them using them. I don't know if I'll use one when/if I get any characters up to any kind of level where it'd be worth the effort & expense, in fact I doubt I will - I'm more of a casual player than most people seem to be, but I don't care if other people want to use them.

There's nothing forcing anyone to use them or to pay for 2 accounts if you don't want to is there?

G

granny

Oh and that dev made some gutless remarks in that post, he never mentions any names but throws mud at other MMORPGs and comes up with some bullshit figures of double digits millions for a game that is doing quite poorly, which one does he mean?

Oh that was AC2. And avoiding a lawsuit from Microsoft could be classed as gutless yeah, personally I'd call it prudent :D

C

cHodAX

Oh that was AC2. And avoiding a lawsuit from Microsoft could be classed as gutless yeah, personally I'd call it prudent :D

If that game cost more than 2 mill someone needs shooting at Microsoft, it is stilll alpha code and doesn't look like it would be good even if they took 2 more years on it. As for the buffbots thing, I think you misunderstand me. I have no problem with buffbots being used for PvE but they completely ruin RvR. Stealthers become vastly overpowered when they get full buffed by full buff spec'ed chars who can never be killed to make the buffs drop. It is an unfair advantage gained by the fact that Mythic want everyone to have a second account rather than a problem that would be difficult to code out. Hell they have a radius on PBT so they could reuse much of that code for buffs.

C

cHodAX

Oh and as for the the number of buffbot users, goto Emain and look in the Albion PK. Even at primetime there are never more than a handful of buffbots in the keep, now goto Mid PK in Emain and Hadrians, look on in shock at the number of Shaman who are stood there all night occasionaly handing out end buffs. Middy is rapidly becoming known as the buffbot realm, when clerics get thier new goodies in future patches you will see dozens more buffbots parked in the PK's. In the long run it will kill the game if not fixed.

G

granny

If that game cost more than 2 mill someone needs shooting at Microsoft, it is stilll alpha code and doesn't look like it would be good even if they took 2 more years on it. As for the buffbots thing, I think you misunderstand me. I have no problem with buffbots being used for PvE but they completely ruin RvR. Stealthers become vastly overpowered when they get full buffed by full buff spec'ed chars who can never be killed to make the buffs drop. It is an unfair advantage gained by the fact that Mythic want everyone to have a second account rather than a problem that would be difficult to code out. Hell they have a radius on PBT so they could reuse much of that code for buffs.

So how's that different from a stealther being buffed by a real person playing a real character who then just stays safely in the PK? What's to stop you taking the stealther out with the help of a few other people? Surely a group of different classes is going to be more versatile, useful and fun to RvR with? Or is this all about the RvR solo'ers?

Not flaming or being argumentative btw, just wanting to find out :) Seems to me that RvR for a lot of people has become "who can be the most uber on their own" which sounds to me like just an extension of CS and tbh I really don't care in the slightest about people with that attitude towards the game :/

C

cHodAX

People don't just sit in the PK and buff a mate all day everyday, that is the fundamental difference. Real healers/buffers run about and risk dying, when they die the groups buffs drop which is how the game was intended to be. Leaving the healer in the PK forever so you don't lose buffs is the lamest aspect I can think of in this game, it ranks right up there with radar and 'teh twick' :(

C

cHodAX

What's 'teh twick' ?

A way of forcing lag so you there is a chance you can't be hit be hit when mezzed/rooted. I haven't personally done it so I can't be more detailed but I am hearing and seeing it used more and more each day.

One more point, if Midgard took half thier Shaman out of the portal keeps and actually played them then Albion/Hibernia would be having a much harder time. Midgard on this server is very short of actively playing casters it seems, many have either power leveled Shadowblade alts and buff bots or left for pastures new. You only have to look at the class stats to figure out that and also you can see it is hurting the realm of Midgard having so little diversity when it comes to the big fights.

A

agraucred

one fix could be buffs act like chants, the buff class casts them once and anyone in the group and radius is effected (with a limit on the amount off buffs that can run). or just leave it the same with a group/radius limit.

i deffinatly dont agree with Mythics idea. when the game first came out they stopped alt-tab to reduce cheats and the amount of people just sat afk with the game minimised, now they are pretty much asking for people to do it. buff bots are seriously ruining the same, RvR and PvE. and imagine how hard itll be to get onto a server if each person is running two clients? use your fucking heads mythic! they rnt gonna get any cash if people rnt able to get online with there main character, cant be arsed to make an alt on another server (which will probably be full aswell), and decide to cancel there account.

L

liste

A way of forcing lag so you there is a chance you can't be hit be hit when mezzed/rooted. I haven't personally done it so I can't be more detailed but I am hearing and seeing it used more and more each day.

Currently being investigated very thoroughly. So far, there are no grounds in these myths

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by liste

Currently being investigated very thoroughly. So far, there are no grounds in these myths

Not true Liste, I have spoken to people who have been able to replicate this effect with high success.

F

Fightersuntzu

New 'areas' should be created around the PK/BKs(and these areas end just outside max range for their guards) - if the buffer is inside and the buffee is not, start a timer, after 30 seconds - drop the buffs.

's the only way you can fix buffbots, but mythic aint doing it.

And yes, what chod said is true - i have seen it.

J

Jilly

well guys ...it looks as tho it will be no better to play daoc than CounterStrike soon.

We will spend a lot of time downloading files to stop the cheaters:(

jeez it really is sad

H

hrodelbert

people doing anything in life will do their utmost to get an advantage over others... having buffbots is an example of this.. I don't really condemn it even though i don't have one my self. from mythics point of view they are a company and they want to make money, thats what companies do at the end of the day they are accountable to their shareholders etc. hmmm not very tidy and i don't think i made a point but hey do i ever? :)

J

Jilly

LOL Hirod ..you tried :)

I can see what u r saying but we pay to play this game and maybe they are now exploiting us to the extreme....and yes we get exploited by many organisaitons everyday...doesn't make it right tho.

H

hrodelbert

as long as there a few nice people in every realm we can all /hug and /kiss :clap:

S

Sarnat

Wow Chod, your calculations are really amazing. Not.

A

agraucred

i personally dont see how money will be made. ok, people will open up new accounts, thats some short term cash. but think of the costs in opening up new servers when the current are filled due to buffbots! and then think how many people will say "fuck the new servers, ive spent a hell of alot of time getting my char to lvl 50/RR <whatever>/Legendary Crafter in <whatever>, if i cant play it now im off" and cancel there account (or two if they have a buffbot). and then "Spies"? everyone is going to have the oppertunity to create chars in another realm if they wanted too. its ruining the game. relic raids wont be possible because someone always knows about it, and considering the main goal of the game is getting these relics...

S

Sigurd

It's really rather sad, fighting against buffbotted characters, there's a certain infil running around Thidranki in excalibur, buffed and twinked to the teeth at all times - he is the only player to have beaten me 1 on 1 there so far... I'm fed up of the biased towards powergamers - why can't the more casual gamers get some attention for once??

Users who are viewing this thread