My thanks GoA

Gustav

One of Freddy's beloved
This was the response from a RightNow query I received within 24 hours. I am deeply impressed and really appreciative. I know there are many of you who think they aren't up to scratch but this was something they solved very quickly. Yes you may have problems with them but to be honest, this was a very quick turn around. Thanks GoA for making my gaming over the years really fun and I know that you will continue to do so. I had a problem with attaining the Charred Pentaglyph from the final boss mob in the Co5 dungeon. Because of my stupidity I had deleted the quest item and was worried I had messed up my chance at getting it. Yes, before all you forum trolls come here and say its minor and easy to fix, it was a big thing for me and I want to post my thanks to their efforts over the years.

Gustav

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response (CM) 07/26/2007 02:55 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your query.

You do not need the item to complete this quest, as long as you are on the right step in your journal you can enter the dungeon and kill Utgard-Lok, at which point you will receive the Charred Pentaglyph. To be on the safe side, I have placed the Infernal Crystal from the previous quest in your character's inventory, so there should be no problems preventing you from completing this quest. Good luck!

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Community Manager

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
So, I'm out looking for a fight and you're questing?! :twak:

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Great to see the new guy at GoA rules.

Good thing they got rid of the incompetence that was Requiel. Just a shame he now wrecks WAR.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
No he wasn't. He might've been a good bumchum to chat with on MSN, but he wasn't good at being a community manager.

The number of times he failed to deliver important information through the correct channels is incredible.

But sure, if you liked chatting him up it's cool and he was probably a nice guy. But being a nice guy ain't all of it and the rest he didn't have. Poor WAR.

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
Thats based on you one sided narrow minded point of view
You say "But sure, if you liked chatting him up it's cool and he was probably a nice guy. But being a nice guy ain't all of it"
Ever think that he was under starters orders from his oversee'ers not to say a word about it?
What i cant understand is why ppl on this forum bash the ppl who are taking the orders and u refuse to base the ppl giving the orders

I personaly have never talked to him on msn, so i dont know if he is a nice guy or not, but he did his job the way he was suppose to, becuase if he didnt A) He never wood have lasted long enough to see Daoc's 5th year and B) wood never have gotten the promotion to war community manager

U fail to realize lot of the facts even tho u type your posts like they are based on facts, u say "The number of times he failed to deliver important information through the correct channels is incredible." thats BULLCRAP, he gave the information as it was given to him, if u cared so much to make a judgement on this, u might want to go check something called company policy

If is against the rules of the company for ANY community manager to leak out information that the company doesnt want told to the general public, and before u say "doesnt that make it worse" NO, becuase if say that information had something along that lines that cud put goa in a legal situation, well then we are ALL screwed becuase one individual desided it was in THERE best interest to loot GOA for everything it's worth, where wood we be then?

No dark age of camelot for anybody
No warhammer for anybody
No future projects of any kind becuase goa got looted by a noob

Community managers are to report the information as it has been reported to them, they cannot under any situation tell information to the public that may give the community false sence of hope, a reason to take legal action or any information regarding a problem in a product that doesnt originaly belong to them (namly, DARK AGE OF CAMELOT / WARHAMMER)

So again i say, dont bash Requiel or Roaken, cus they are doing there jobs properly

"edit"

Also u have to look at this from his personal view, if he gave out sencitive information like that (that cud lead to legal issues for goa) then he wood loss his job, if he losses his job he cannot pay the bills, which wood result in relationship problems, (getting back on track now) if he did lets say give out information that he wasnt suppose to, then goa goes into law suit after law suit after lawsuit, ultimatly taking them down, daoc and war come down after afew days of this, and then who does everybody look at becuase he gave out information? yes.. now u have it, sooo eather WAY he is gonna get bashed, soo i personaly think he'd rather keep his job, keep his wife and the house he lives in, and take afew bashings from the public, rather then lossing everything in his life and ALSO taking bashings from the public
But hey, thats just me going into to much detail, also i think i understand company policys a tad bit better then u do mate

Unleashed

Loyal Freddie
This was the response from a RightNow query I received within 24 hours. I am deeply impressed and really appreciative. I know there are many of you who think they aren't up to scratch but this was something they solved very quickly. Yes you may have problems with them but to be honest, this was a very quick turn around. Thanks GoA for making my gaming over the years really fun and I know that you will continue to do so. I had a problem with attaining the Charred Pentaglyph from the final boss mob in the Co5 dungeon. Because of my stupidity I had deleted the quest item and was worried I had messed up my chance at getting it. Yes, before all you forum trolls come here and say its minor and easy to fix, it was a big thing for me and I want to post my thanks to their efforts over the years.

Gustav

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response (CM) 07/26/2007 02:55 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your query.

You do not need the item to complete this quest, as long as you are on the right step in your journal you can enter the dungeon and kill Utgard-Lok, at which point you will receive the Charred Pentaglyph. To be on the safe side, I have placed the Infernal Crystal from the previous quest in your character's inventory, so there should be no problems preventing you from completing this quest. Good luck!

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Community Manager

Best place for you is PvE because you suck in RvR!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No he wasn't. He might've been a good bumchum to chat with on MSN, but he wasn't good at being a community manager.

The number of times he failed to deliver important information through the correct channels is incredible.

But sure, if you liked chatting him up it's cool and he was probably a nice guy. But being a nice guy ain't all of it and the rest he didn't have. Poor WAR.

It's shite like this being posted on here that means you'll get LESS info in the long term, because they just won't bother coming to FH at all...

Tool.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
It's shite like this being posted on here that means you'll get LESS info in the long term, because they just won't bother coming to FH at all...

That´s true. But that doesn´t change the facts.
As a community manager, he knows that he will alway be in the crossfire, getting criticized and flamed for anything, even if it´s absolutely not his (or his companies) fault. That´s one part of the job. I´ve been in this position myself and I know how hard it is sometimes.
Not posting anymore in response, acting like the prima donna, is a human reaction. But still, it´s not exactly professional. Nobody can expect people to sit quietly and hold back, just to not piss off the officials so they might stop doing their job.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie

Tool.

Having this discussion with you is probably not too clever. You are in a situation where you obviously are interested in promoting more traffic on this site (with good reason I might add).

However, my point have always been it's a major mistake to rely on FH to provide information to the public. Yet they have in periods done excactly that. This means a small part of the player base have found out why their game didn't work. Yet the major part who only read the official pages (and didn't know about FH) was left in the dark.

That's a problem Jupitus and why I personally think GoA are incompetent in their player relationship management.

All they had to do was make a link on the official page to FH stating they used this site as their communication channel - that would have been a start.

Yet we have often seen situations where the german or french part of daoc.goa.com recieved important information while the english section was blank for days at times.

To VegetaFH1: I agree, GoA is as much to blame. Their rigid structures seems to prevent the GMs in many ways. That said, the GM's seemed to endorse these things and the fact they didn't change in 5 years shows their position.

Edit: To illustrate my point. Go find the info about the Vista problems on daoc.goa.com. Good luck hunting. :)

ZukeSB

Fledgling Freddie
Ixnay !

Been married a year now, i'm pwned irl.

My sis deleted all my chars for some reason so i doubt i'll be back, unless i use the free trial thingy for a look.

Zuke.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Heh. The trolls are out.

GOA GMs have always been good, and I've found in specific instances, excellent. As an entity, GOA might at times be really irritating but I've never had an issue with the GMs themselves. I've been on too many raids, had too many times where they've performed over and above what they need to do for me to bash them.

I remember getting help when relic raids would stress the server (yes, back in the day we did indeed have that many people in a single zone). I remember (specificially Requiel) running around sorting ML raid after ML raid when the extremely buggy ToA landed on DAoC as well as turning up for a RL meet of DAoC goons.

Sorry, I've got nothing but contempt for the trolls that just want to take a pop.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Nothing to say about GM's, either good or bad.

But i still think GOA should have an official forum for fast announcements and customer support. RN is nice but not enough. True, the forum will be flooded with whines and flames, but every forum is like this.

Instead of taking advantage of a forum used by a good proportion of the english player base, FH, Requiel did it but not enough, GOA stepped back with Roaken. And that's piety, customer wise.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Not sure GOA should have an official forum - they shut down their original one fast enough.

Make announcements on the GOA site. If they need a discussion then they just sling up a link to FH, but emphasise that FH is an 'unofficial' point of contact & not actually modded by themselves.

I didn't have issues with GOA GM's for the majority of my time in DAoC, but things all went to pot from the Pryd DB crash onwards. The GM before Req (Kemor??) was sound, had a sense of humour & was as far more liable to just chat with you as warn you.

Req made some mistakes & compounded them with developing an attitude that just didn't sit well for a community manager which was quite unfortunate as having met him at a RL meet he was actually a top bloke.

The problem with Community Management is that a lot of people only see the bad stuff. While I could reel off things such as the bad communication & mis-information surrounding the Pryd db crash, the TT incident, the spawning of guards on people that were just duelling & not rp farming I can only recall one incident of seeing Req help (ML9 many moons ago when you needed 90% of Hib pryd to turn up to do it). That might not be everyone else’s recollection of the bloke though.

I'd like to say that I've nothing against Req personally (like I said I liked him when I met him), just that some things could have been handled more 'diplomatically' which is what you need from a Community Manager. Not seen Roaken in action (seen his name around) but I'd understand why he wouldn't want to dip his toe into FH too often. No matter what my beef was with Req I'd say that a large proportion of the FH user base treated him with a contempt that he really didn't deserve & if I'm honest I would probably acted in a similar way to him after experiencing the bile that was thrown at him from here. If we'd discussed things constructively with him it could all have been so different. I just hope we do so with Roaken.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Jesus I do go on - apologies. The things I'll do to get out of re-writing Group Policy :(.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Many arguments have been used already - personally I have no complaints about the GMs. They have their hands tied, and are freely releasing information here.

Take a step back and look at FH and the way people talk to/about GMs. Would YOU be nice to you, seeing as how they get treated for it? (And don't start coming up with excuses, just take a good look at it from a person-to-person point of view, and not as a player.)

GMs releasing information on FH is a service, not a given right. GOA not releasing information on their official page is what you have to eat (which I agree lacks thoroughly at times) - the fact that you learn -something- here, is something you should appreciate, not yell about.

Seeing the way GMs are treated here, it's amazing Requiel even bothered to continue while working on DAOC. I'm pretty sure he regrets it, but had the dedication to continue anyway.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Heh. The trolls are out.

GOA GMs have always been good, and I've found in specific instances, excellent. As an entity, GOA might at times be really irritating but I've never had an issue with the GMs themselves. I've been on too many raids, had too many times where they've performed over and above what they need to do for me to bash them.

I remember getting help when relic raids would stress the server (yes, back in the day we did indeed have that many people in a single zone). I remember (specificially Requiel) running around sorting ML raid after ML raid when the extremely buggy ToA landed on DAoC as well as turning up for a RL meet of DAoC goons.

Sorry, I've got nothing but contempt for the trolls that just want to take a pop.

Obviously you'll have to be a troll to have something against GoA. I think I can remember something about you being absent from this game for quite some time before returning (correct me if I am wrong), might be nice to actually have some recent or at least relevant info to refer to as to regards what has happened on the servers for the last years. You might want to refrain from calling people trolls when their opinion differ from yours. If someone posted like "GOA SUX", I'd understand, but when someone makes a completly legitimate post like he did, and you ridicule it by calling it trolling, then it sure backfires.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

I disagree with that, He was always quick to give information on here (you cant expect him to be there 24 hours a day) the problem was that the information he did give was either wrong or an outright lie half the time, sometimes you just have to follow the company line though, it was his job at the end of the day.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Great to see the new guy at GoA rules.

Good thing they got rid of the incompetence that was Requiel. Just a shame he now wrecks WAR.

Dreading what Warhammer in europe is going to be like... I'm gonna try it in europe for like 3-4 weeks and if its utter toss i'm offski to usa servers lol.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Another example is how GoA handled this Vista issue.

They patch and find the Vista bug. Two days later they get a fix in.

The good thing:
1) They actually fixed the bug pretty fast.

The bad thing:
1) They didn't find (and fix) the bug before patching.
2) They went two days without admitting to the bug and saying they were working on it.

Why not just a quick note on Daoc.Goa.Com saying:

"Hey gang! Vista, bugged, working, more info tomorrow."
And the day after:
"Hey again! EA Mythic, still working. Vista, tomorrow more."
And then the 27th:
"Hey finally! Vista, fixed, trouble, sorry."

But no no... the monkeys at GoA couldn't even figure out to do that.

Call me a troll all you want Roo, but please try to defend that lack of information. Please explain to me how it would have been a problem for the GM's to acknowledge for the costumers there is a problem and a solution hopefully soon is on it's way.

Until you do that, I'll stand by my oppinion and say that the GM's may be a fine pal of yours on MSN, but they are acting out the fool in their current role. A role that makes them appear incompetent and bad at their job.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
cant belive anybody wanna stick up for goa tbh ^^ still no news about the population problem an thats been going on for 8 months? been some news on fh but nothing offial on their own site? is that how it should be? what about all the people who dont use freddyshouse ? goa have always been crap at running a mmorpg an they will never get better im affraid :( thougt they would have learnt something after running daoc for so many years but noooooooo

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Obviously you'll have to be a troll to have something against GoA. I think I can remember something about you being absent from this game for quite some time before returning (correct me if I am wrong), might be nice to actually have some recent or at least relevant info to refer to as to regards what has happened on the servers for the last years. You might want to refrain from calling people trolls when their opinion differ from yours. If someone posted like "GOA SUX", I'd understand, but when someone makes a completly legitimate post like he did, and you ridicule it by calling it trolling, then it sure backfires.

If you read the whole thread prior to my post there was indeed a fair bit of trolling which wasn't even close to reasoned debate. Your wording suggests my post was aimed at one particular post which it wasn't, and that the posts prior were wonderfully worded and reasoned arguments...which many weren't.

In my post I clearly referred to GOA GMs, not GOA as an entity. Somehow I don't think community managers are responsible for company policy, data updates, backups, networking/routing, server integrity etc. GOA as an organisation have cocked up at times and I don't defend that. I might not feel the need to rant until the sun goes dark but I won't defend them.

I have since reactivating encountered various GMs but nothing folks want to see on forums - its all pretty mundane (or, shock horror...good) so not very exciting reading.

Erm, well. One little thing <shuffles feet>

I think the storytelling quality on the Friday posts could be upped a tad. I'm guessing that a lot is translated from other languages but I do wince a bit at the poor use of English language. And before anyone reaches down my throat in search of my kidneys, I'm also pretty sure they do a better job than I could :D

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
A) What makes you think that GM's make posts on the European Website
B) If GOA were not going to do anything about the population issue, what then? What if the language issue was the problem?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
the bit under there name <uk cluster GM> or whatever is a pretty big give away :p

And they aren't doing anything at all, that much is pretty clear by now :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
My guess is the expected revenue from English servers vs cost/difficulty to implement a solution to integrate English servers with other servers isn't viable for GOA/Mythic, especially when most resources will be poured into WAR. Cash cow DAoC while they can, leave the GMs squirming in the middle with the poisoned chalice and gear up for WAR.

I'd imagine certain members of staff tried to push forward solutions for the English clusters but have hit resourcing problems which in business terms just cannot be justified.

I look at it like this:

Am I enjoying DAoC in its present form? If yes, continue paying subs. If no, cancel subs. Not basing it on what may or may not come in the future.

I'm not expecting anything on the English cluster from GOA frustrating as it is not to be able to do the types of thing due to lack of numbers that I used to love in DAoC. Work has meant my playtime has now dropped somewhat anyway but would still be nice to be able to do those good ol' things.

I have no intention of starting new chars on another server.

It has occurred to me that GOA may simply say "Nae luck, your client end is getting changed to German and we're clustering you with the guys that stole all the Dutch bicycles."
That would of course be the Scottish-ish translation.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
I agree in your summary of the situation Roo. However sad that summary is for the game and the ethics at GoA.

What is forgotten though is excactly WAR. GoA will be and are being judged on how they handle Camelot.

So far they are doing a bad job. A job so bad that it will spill over and put a shadow on the EU WAR release.

Don't neglect the playerbase GoA. They are afterall who pays your bills. Not to mention, they tend to share their experiences.

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
The European website being this Raven: Chronicles of Camelot

Not the unofficial forum such as Freddyshouse...

Oh and also the player base for the european servers is basically all about mainland europe, French players and German players, their servers haven't had these spikes in players and continue to hit 1k per server per night at least.

I'm just saying if they can't do anything about clustering with another language server do you think they would really announce it to the players? Bearing in mind that the game was never meant to be multilingual - else the client would have been made so that generic languages could be implemented via the client rather that server side.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
well i suppose they have given up the pretense of doing something about it now :)

but why oh why cant they offer a char transfer to either the french, German of even US servers. After 5 years of paying subs i think people are at least owed that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom