My new phone...

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
...is shit, so shit that I've actually decided to sell it on ebay and use my old phone.

My old phone and also now current until further notice is the Nokia Europe - Nokia N81 - Technical specifications nice and simple to use and very practical, nice big screen, slides to protect the keys and prevents pocket dialing, 8GB memory built in so no annoying memory cards, an ordinary jack socket so any headphones I have can be used, the camera isn't fantastic but that's why I have a 6 megapixel digital camera anyway, all in all generally a nice phone and thanks to my collection of nokias over the years I have phone chargers stashed all over the country.

The new phone is the Sony Ericsson - Mobile phones - Overview - C902 which is basically sold on it's 5 megapixel camera and numerous pointless features aimed at gadget junkies imo. Memory card required but not supplied, special sony ericsson headphones required, crap keys and a generally a crap layout.

Both were free btw, my sister works at phones for you and gets the contracts cheap and the handsets free. But does anybody else have either of these phones because I can't understand how a latest model phone can feel so inferior to one thats a few months old now after coming so highly recomended.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I have the k850i and I love it, the c920 is basically the same phone, but with a few more touch screen buttons.

I think you are just used to nokias, sony phones do feel wierd after nokias. The N series still have too many software glitches on them for my liking.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It all depends on what you're after. An old nokia 36xxxxx is still better for texting/phoning purposes as it was built for it.

Modern phones often forget they are supposed to be phones.

I have, at the moment, a samsung g800. Can basically switch to any phone in the market as i work with 'em.

G800 is good, lasting battery, good calling, good messaging, all around good handling and can handle games well too with good quality.

Only problem is that the two front buttons(when slider closed) can unlock it so pocket calling occurs sometimes :D

Also, you can't lock it with them so you have to slide out/back in to lock it.

Minor annoyance.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've just had a new phone as well. After 4 years of buying lovely SonyEricssons I went for an N95 8Gb? My review? Nice phone, just a shame its a Nokia. Why do I say this?

1) Nokias QC is shit. I have been supplied with a new phone worth 500 notes the down button doesn't work on. Only time I've had that issue with an SE was when my T610 was 2 years old. That was a 200 pound phone. Nokia, you suck.

2) Nokias user interface is the work of Satan. It's the most un-intuitive pile of shit I have ever tried. Nokia, you really suck.

3) Nokias battery life is shit. I don;t appreciate having to charge my phone every night. It's not a massive problem doing so, but I'd like to think that if I forget I would still be able to use my phone for the evening. Nokia, you really REALLY suck.

Good points?

1) The 5Mp camera is nice, but not a patch on the one I had in a K850i. Also, an LED flash and no shutter are errors on a £500 phone.

2) 8Gb of storage is nice, but I;d like a decent music player to use it with. Nokias sucks ass.

3) My first Sat-nav! Entirely pointless as I know where I'm going, nice to have tho.

I'll probably keep it for a while, then ebay it when the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 comes out.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Hah Bods, funny you should say that but all those criticisms you just aimed at Nokias are the EXACT problems my girlfriend has with her k850i.

IMO Sony Ericssons are an utter abomination. The least user friendly and illogical phones to use in the world, the only thing they get right is the camera. I charge my Nokia once a week, my girlfriend is lucky to get through a day with her k850i. It's basically permanently attached to the wall.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Bodhi in Sony fanboi comments shocker!

;)

Personally I hate SE's. I have a Nokia N80 and it's great. Battery usually lasts 3 days or so before I need to charge it, so the battery life ain't too bad.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Personally I hate SE's. I have a Nokia N80 and it's great. Battery usually lasts 3 days or so before I need to charge it, so the battery life ain't too bad.

Me too....except I have the N95 8GB...

I wont get another SE thats for sure....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
And I won't get another Nokia n-series. Garbage, the lot of them. Not sure I'd get an SE phone either tbh. It may be the Jebus phone for me...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Oh yes, I remember the raging success that was the N80. The N80 which still ranks as the most returned phone Vodafone have ever had. Number 2 was the N95. Funnily enough SE's didn't even make the top 10. Hmmmm.

I think you forget I used to work in the industry. If you can't get more than a day out of a K850i then you are doing something seriously wrong. I got at least 3 days out of mine, and being a heavy user I found that more than acceptable. This pitiful excuse for a Nokia battery I find shocking.

00dave

I thought you lot were all technical wizzards compared to me, are you telling me you don't understand how rechargeable batteries work?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I get about 3 days from my N95 8GB Bodhi. Try turning wifi scanning off, as well as bluetooth when not required.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I get about 3 days from my N95 8GB Bodhi. Try turning wifi scanning off, as well as bluetooth when not required.

yes me too...and if I its not used a great deal it can last for 5 to 6 days (with it switched on all the time)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I swore by Nokias then I got a SE W880i and it pisses on my previous Nokias. Battery lasts a week and I get a good signal where I never could with a Nokia.

It annoys me that it auto saves messages received and sent and you can't turn that feature off but that is about my only complaint.

Worst phones to me are the Samsungs, now their batteries are awful.

Kryten

Old Cow.
You say the C902 needs special Sony headphones?
Sounds like a step back from Sony: my w960 came with headphones but with an adapter so you can use any headphones you like, which was the case with a couple of other walkman phones across the range.

Definitely takes getting used to going from one brand of phone to another, still stuck on SE here.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Kryten, thats because the walkman phones are all about the audio features. The C and K series are more about the camera.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ah, fair play. Friend of mine's just got her C902, still mostly because of the music though.

How's the camera compare to the K800 as an example? (always my benchmark for a camera phone!)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I had a SE k800 and then upgraded (on a whim whilst walking down Guildford high street with my brother) to the Samsung F490.

Nice phone just hate touchscreen on a phone now so went and bought a SE w890. Very nice and very happy with it. Used to be a Nokia person since Orange first started but got pissed off with the constant rebooting of the phone due to bugs etc.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Agree with Trem on Samsungs - they're shit beyond belief. The phone's UI is just so damn crap and counter-intuitive.

I mostly use my N80 for texting and browsing the web in work (where we have no net access), with the occasional phone call. Suits me down to the ground, but I am tempted by the 3G iPhone though...

Sar

Part of the furniture

Ditto my N80 - I never use wifi, as it only costs me a pound per day with T-Mobile to browse the web all day long. And I rarely use bluetooth tbh, so my battery will last a good long time.

00dave

battery life can also be determined by your signal, or lack of. If you're somewhere with poor or no signal the phone will waste a lot of power trying to find one and can sometimes drain itself in a few hours, and signal is determined more by your network than your phone. Orange used to have pretty bad coverage but I think they've improved a lot.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It annoys me that it auto saves the filth messages received and sent between me and Teedles and you can't turn that feature off which leads to my missus beating me to within an inch of my life when she reads them but that is about my only complaint.
Corrected

soze

I am a FH squatter
I used to love SE phone but of the 5 i have had since the K750 they have all been poor K800 with software, K810 had a dead camera, P1 died in a week and the K850 which i looked forward too for ages then the screen came out and the buttons were constantly sticking under the cover. I have gone back to nokia now for my own phone a 6120 right now and a 6210N next week fingers crossed.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Just turn off the bluetooth on the SE's and the battery life is fine, though i'm rather bored of SE now think i may make a switch back to nokia seeing as it's been a good year or two since my 3210.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Corrected

Well its sort of true. Say I were to enter into a secret bumming relationship with Teedles there would be no way of me hiding the messages due to my ever forgetful brain.

Do you think Teedles fancies me? Should I text him?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Do you think Teedles fancies me? Should I text him?
With that hot avatar, how could he resist? PM me if you want his number!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom