My letter to Mythic.

O

old.chesnor

Originally posted by liste
Vae, yes. it is just like setting a stop watch.

so do that instead. it gives you something that you can use to your advantage in the game. hence, it is a cheat.

the crafting one, is ALSO a cheat, be it a little less serious :)

Odd that, considering Mythic said they didn't consider it cheating....

btw, the exact quote from Mythic was "No, we wouldn't ban anyone for using a program which just parses the chat log and plays sounds based on the occurrence of certain text strings. However, we can't endorse its usage and we certainly can't endorse its distribution to others."

O

old.Vae

Originally posted by liste
Vae, yes. it is just like setting a stop watch.

so do that instead. it gives you something that you can use to your advantage in the game. hence, it is a cheat.

the crafting one, is ALSO a cheat, be it a little less serious :)

For the record I don't actually use any of these programs but I believe their use is allowed since they don't interfere with Daoc and would stand up for their use being so allowed.

As for something giving you an advantage in game you could say that looking at a printed out map or setting a stopwatch etc are all giving you an advantage and hence cheating. Same could be said that adding sound effects to crafting messages does the same however I disagree utterly.

There is no exploitation in the game happening. There is no interference with the games program. There is no macroing occuring. All the effects are ones which can either be duplicated manually e.g. a stopwatch, or they are audial interpretations of visual actions i.e. messages on screen triggering sounds. Therefore I see no conflict with the CoC and according to the Mythic employee quoted above and also according to the contact from the guy who wrote the tradeskill program with Mythic there was no problem there either.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this issue Liste since we appear to come from opposing viewpoints.

L

liste

im not doing anything else than disagreeing Vae :)

debate, 's all

P

pcentella

All the effects are ones which can either be duplicated manually e.g. a stopwatch, or they are audial interpretations of visual actions i.e. messages on screen triggering sounds
Macroing can be duplicated manually. Yet it breaks CoC.

O

old.Vae

Originally posted by pcentella

Hence my comment earlier that there is no macroing occuring since that is specifically prohibited by the CoC. None of these other actions i.e. a timer, is.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by pcentella
Such as a "pecking" device. Hits the keyboard for crafting.

C

cadiva

Originally posted by SFXman
I'd agree on the fact that women can concentrate on one thing only, us men though can handle many things at once ;)
*cough*Driving*cough*
But anyway, resting can be a lot longer time than it takes to check a map or change a song on Winamp. Not like there is a compulsory chatting session during downtime with your group members :)

Sorry, it's still a case of 17-year-old unemployed (probably student) bloke being unable to direct all their current brain power on just the one thing but having amazing lack of concentration and seriously small attention span therefore needing to have 3 or 4 other things to occupy the period of time when the brain switches between said other things to prevent boredom.

Oh yeah, and sad attempt at humour through deliberate misreading of previous statement which said women can concentrate on the same thing for a long period of time without getting bored (sex after marriage girls?! ;) )

Disclaimer (just in case the males among you fail to spot the tongue in cheek): The above statement is a joke, predominately being used to wind up said 17-year-old students with the concentration span of a goldfish

EDIT: Stupid typo

C

cadiva

I don't understand this attitude

Originally posted by Lambsbreed
But some people actually got other things to do rather than looking at DAOC all the time, Microsoft or not.

Urm, scuse the swearing here but if this is the case why the fuck are you playing it in the first place then?

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by cadiva
As for crafting, I read a book usually while I'm crafting, or I'm alternatively talking to my guildmates in guild chat, neither of which interferes with what's occuring on the slowest green bar in history.

I'm glad you found ways around the no alt-tab. we all did probably.
that doesn't make it a less desired feature tho (for most at least)

L

Lambsbreed

Re: I don't understand this attitude

Urm, scuse the swearing here but if this is the case why the fuck are you playing it in the first place then?

Actually statements like this encourage me not to. If i'm not allowed to state my oppinion without being flamed in this community, then fuck the community.

C

[Cerebus]

Sorry, it's still a case of 17-year-old unemployed (probably student) bloke being unable to direct all their current brain power on just the one thing but having amazing lack of concentration and seriously small attention span therefore needing to have 3 or 4 other things to occupy the period of time when the brain switches between said other things to prevent boredom.

Oh yeah, and sad attempt at humour through deliberate misreading of previous statement which said women can concentrate on the same thing for a long period of time without getting bored (sex after marriage girls?!

Must be that time of the month :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom