My idea of an eventual upped Thane.

F

fafa

Ok most of peeps agree that Thanes are fun to play, they are great soloer PvE, and can tank as well as a warrior (if shield specced). But on a large scale, what can they gives to a perfect RvR group ? Maybe just able to interupt casters, or break mincer/bard speed and other casters speed.

Warrior can do the job way better than Thanes. We know that :)

Still ... i love the Thanes, mostly because they are followers of Thor and i'm really in the Trip of the norse gods and mythologies and also because Thanes are great duelers :p and can take ram unbuffed (well just on their own with self buff).

What could help the Thanes beeing a better RvR group friendly class?

Well i have my own ideas ... i know most of peeps who will read this thread will argue on that and this and think its not really a good idea and etc.

Both, Hibernia and Albion have 2 class that can gives Power regen to their groups (alb: Sorcerers, minestrels ; hib: Bard, mentalist). On midgards we just have pac healers wich can give pom. Then why not gives the Thanes a group regen pow chants ? That could fit very well with the thane IMO.

Mjolnir ... Well very nice graphic effect etc, but ... c'mon this is the worst AoE spells in the game, very high power cost and very low damage, exellent at breaking mezz :) so ... well if you have a dozen of Thanes spamming mjolnir on a keep door while defending the keep, yea it can have an impact but ... that usually never happens :p
So i think mjolnir should see his base dmg upped or ... gives this spell another effect ? Like a few second of stun, even 3 or 6 but something that would tell why mjollnir is casting time 4sec and such high pow cost.

And lastly ... the RAs, very disapointed about this ... Thanes are hybrid class, like paladins, champions ... both of them don't have access to mcl (i'm right?) but both of them don't have a spell lines like the thanes, Thanes with mcl thats just what i ask, would help the Thanes greatly since their spell are all very high cost. Also ... even Thanes spell are not that much high dmg we can't even do crits with these, just give us that RA :(

Also ... skald, warrior wear chain and got evade1, what about the Thane ?

Your opinions ? :D

(no not on my spelling, but the Thanes :p)

S

SilverHood

heh, what I'd like to see on thanes (and pallies and champs)

baseline spells - buffs and insta dd
specline spells - dd, mjolnir, insta pbaoe

never gonna happen though :)

on a side note, thanes *can* get mcl , though at 3 points, its simply too expensive: you'd need to be RR7 or higher to have the spare points.

biggest thing that bugs me, is that thanes have to take RA's which augment their combat capacity.... cos at the end of the day, a thane is a fighter first, caster second. And we suck at both.... tho soloing wizards is the easist thing in the game :)
The thane special RA is abysmally bad, and the RA's needed to make us decent fighters cost some 40 realm ability points. Then you can add some AoM, maybe lw, or something. (getting a Thane to RR5+ without an RvR guild is also bloody hard... been there, done that, took forever, you're trash to everyone, a group with more than 1 thane is doomed to fail, unless you're with Roo :p )

Thanes just lack the punch to make them viable... if they made our dmg add act like group dmg add, but made it a conc buff, and stuck a range on it... like the shammy grp end regen, then that would be ace.... this would steal away a role from the skalds.... but if it stacked with any other dmg add (not sure if stacking is fixed yet), then that would be ace.

Evade 1 would be ace... our low dex and quick wont make it that effective, but i'd be nice anyway

oh, and we need to get off these rogue tables and onto the hybrid table... we're servants of Thor FFS!! Not overgrown Don Juans with an attitude problem.

F

fafa

wow you sure we can get mcl now ? didn't read 1.62 read me files.

P

panzer_ulv

As a Thane, with low HP, i would settle for massive melee-damage.

Low hp=high damage. A normal equation i Daoc. I started the Thane, believing i would rock the house. Dinged 50 June last year, played the son of a gun fpr a month....and re-rolled.

Now wiith the sb nef behind us, i'm hoping for my Thane to be viable again. Been killed maybe 50-60 times in DF while doing the Thane duty: Farm like hell. It's doing a great job, but this is RvR we are talking about. Gimme more melee and i'll be a happy Thane.

S

SilverHood

hmm, it's not on the thane RA list... could have sworn it was there on the trainer list.... mebbe I'm just being a 'tard :/

H

hoden

thanes cant get mcl if they could i would have got it as most fun i have is on keep defence and takes spamming mjol on casters , Hoden is now almost rr5 and i`m working hard at the moment to get him there when i can , however i cnat find grps very easy , the ones i get are by starting a grp of my own and leading or though ingame friends . still i love playing my thane in rvr . one simple RA that was of use to a grp , the one we have is shite . or a buff of some sort and we would find it much easier to find a grp . with the new caps i can now hit over 2000 hp with buffs and sc suit items etc , which is not half bad for hunting stealthers , which i`m forced to do when there is no grps about . once hoden is rr5 i`m prob gonna give him a rvr rest and play me skald a class i dont like as much but the simple run speed song makes you wanted in grps , lets face it rest song and resists songs are not worth toffee :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by SilverHood
hmm, it's not on the thane RA list... could have sworn it was there on the trainer list.... mebbe I'm just being a 'tard :/
That's not like you... oh no hang on a sec :p

H

hoden

thought of a RA that would get thanes in grps , givf Group purge to thanes for 14 points , you could say it was like the electric shock to wake people back up from their ZZzzzZZZzzzzZZzzzZ , the joy of grp purge yummy :)

F

-foadon-

erm..
your complaining about the defense of thanes?
you get to spec into shield, while skalds (with even less specpoints) get NO shieldspec and no points to spec in parry, and tbh, evade 1, cmon, think you evade like hell or so? :)

2dly, if anyone deserves a new ability such as power regen chant its skalds, also anyone who deserves a decent group RA its skalds, the class needs some serious upgrades.
thanes are already balanced with the castable dd, the str/con (which will be upped if TL keeps asking for it) and the dmg add

and your complaining about the base dmg of mjollnir?? you think your a caster or so? essentially your still a tank, who is granted magical abilities, not a caster who is granted melee abilities

and to silverhood : low dex --> warriors have 15 dex more then you, not an astonishing amount tbh, and quick is the same as any tank class

G

Glyph_mid

Foadon, thanes dont advance dex when gaining levels, warriors do, leaving us with very small amounts of dex.

What i hate most about thanes is when i want to DD someone with the level 48 bolt, i get 2-3 DDs off, and i notice my end is around 70% :(

S

SilverHood

yeah, the end cost of spells sucks... easier to melee a bit, burn the endurance off, and then start casting.

my thane had 120 dex when I played him... for a shield user, that's pretty bad :p

thanes are already balanced with the castable dd, the str/con (which will be upped if TL keeps asking for it) and the dmg add

I wouldn't agree, and neither wpuld 99% of other thanes :)

would you pick a thane over a warrior in a RvR group? besides, skalds get groups anyway, thanes don't :p

F

-foadon-

im not talking about to whether pick up a warr or thane, since in rvr u will be the defense mostly, and warrior having the tank RAs will be easely picked, but im syaing for a hybrid, thane arent underpowered in the way skalds are

i mean fgs, a skald takes down a yellow con and has to rest for hp, a thane will get maybe what, 3-4 hits?

you had 120 dex? then you werent capped my friend, iirc u are norse? 50 +75 = 125, add maybe 10 from char creation = 135, add 12 from aug dex 2 for RAs, thats 147, my warr has 162 dex unbuffed, which is 15 more then a thane, indeed a thanes dex is much lower if you are a troll thane vs a kobold warrior, but that is all cus of race, not class

it is just laughable that thanes keep asking for more love while they already have one of the best potential hybrid abilities

abilities as in being able to chainbolt someone, can you tell me any other tank in the game that can chainbolt?
also your dd is energy based, for some ppl (hibs) not a 100% important stat unlike body from skald

so glyph, no you dont advance in dex while lvling, but you could pick a class that doesnt have 35 starting dex if you plan on taking a shield user, a warrior gets 15 dex from 5-50, so a troll warrior has the same dex as a norse thane

ask divious, together with the RR he makes the best thane iv seen

i have no problem with upgrading classes, but i have a problem of upgrading classes that dont need it the most

S

SilverHood

i'm a troll... (or was)... 45+75 = 125

you're missing the point slightly foadon... a skald can offer a group something... a thane can not... btw, you ever tried using energy dd's agint hibs? they will have 52% resist, excluding aom.... the damage is laughable, you might as well not bother

besides, just because skalds need love, doesnt mean thanes should not get some too... we're on the same team, remember :p

think most trolls were originally 2 handers (i know I was).... but 2 handers are so unviable for a thane there isn't much choice in spec these days.... I respecced after a paladin blocked 7 hits in a row...

our low weaponskill means shit damage, means stealthers evade like mad (trying hitting a buffed infil or NS.... they will evade over 50% of your attacks).

Just get us onto the hybrid tables and I'll shut up about thanes :)

D

Damon_D

Hehe yeah a skald can offer speed on /stick..thats it....And dont get me startet on who has low weaponskill...

C

Cozak

Im a norse thane.. level 49, 42+11 shield with MoB3 I can solo red con cambions in DF only getting hit 4-5times per fight my DEX is 132.. ok great defence.. but 1009 weapon skill?? Increase in thanes base weapon skill would be nice.

D

Damon_D

Hehe my skald can solo a yellow con..orange con if I kite for an hour ..red con LOL....

G

Glyph_mid

Ok juhuuuu, we can solo reds in DF, which really helps my grouping in rvr...or not, wait.

As said, a skald might be a speedbot on /stick, but, you WILL get invited to a group, a thane wont.

Ok i can chainbolt, but thats leaves me with 1 slam, if the slam fails to land somehow, it leaves me with 2-3 styles and im ooe.

I am not saying skalds dont need love, because they certainly do, who wouldnt pick a minstrel over a skald. But same goes for thanes, Id much rather have a champ or paladin in my group, thats for sure.

Yes, I could have picked a class with more dex from base, but it was my first char and i thought...woo, a 2h thane must be uber...well no

P

panzer_ulv

Foadon, i am a bit suprised to see yo agitate vs the Thanes? Nobody is asking to simply up the Thane, Skalds needs it as well. We all know that.

But saying that Thanes are ok, well....play one. And don't say ' i have a lvl 27' or so. At 50, out in the open RvR zones, it's a gimp. A really really horrific gimp.

Sure, there are Thanes with 11 million rp. But does it make the class a great one? Not a bit. Just showing that someone are playing the clas an awful lot of time.

Thanes are in dire need of Mythic attention NOW,

S

Solid

Anyone who claims a thane is a viable RvR class is smoking some crazy shit.

Thanes AND Skalds suck on a massive scale versus other melee chars in RvR.

Skalds do not suffer being ostracized by their realm mates cos they have the one thing that every group needs, aka speed5.

Without speed 5, skalds are just as bad, if not worse than thanes are.

Skalds dont train Str primary, they are forced to use a level 34 DD as one of their two damage dealing spells, they cannot spec shield, essentially forcing them into a 2H spec and cannot spec parry to a useful level to have any form of viable defence.

Even tho the Skald has the worst defence in Midgard amongst all the viking classes, it also has the lowest damage output, which is chronically tragic.

Skalds were meant to be the 2H widlfing group friendly shock troops, like they were in early retail, now they hit like wet fishes and their battlesongs line is still woefully lacking.

That said, Thanes are equally as bad when it comes to RvR viability.

Anyone claiming to sucessfully solo reds unbuffed with a Thane is either high RR and has bought lots of passive RA's or is bullshitting thru his teeth.

Thanes description = essentially 100% DAMAGE, considering they do not have ANY group friendly abilities and everything they do is geared towards Damage in RvR, the actual damage potential is kinda pathetic (on a par with Skalds who actually have a better weaponskill table than Thanes believe it or not - proof is on VN boards)

C

Cozak

solid before you go saying i bullshit thru my teeth, maybe you should wake the fuck up.
1) Im RR2
2) I have 2 passive RA's Aug Dex2 MoB3
3) If you cant solo reds with 50+ shield you are severely Gimped

S

SilverHood

mob3 is a lot of passive RA's mind.... my thane only has MoB2 at RR5 :)

C

Cozak

RR2L5
spent all points up until 2L4 on it got one spare now saving for FA2>IP :p

S

Solid

50 shield spec + MoB3 may help you solo reds (note the passive RA's 9% extra block chance is a shitload) but it doesnt help you at all in RvR, so perhaps go play your char in RvR and stop using your red soloing abilities to try and show how 'good' thanes perform.

I am interested in your 'uber red soloing' spec btw

50 shield, whats that leave you for your weapon and stormcallign spec?

eitehr you hit liek a wet fish or you are a ghettogimped warrior with bugger all Stormcalling, high weapon, shield.

C

Cozak

Note: 42+11 = 53 I learnt that when i was 9 :)
50 spec will be: 46sc 42shield 44hammer
Il play my thane in RvR when I hit 50 so, thanks, but il keep using my 'uber red soloing' skills until then.

S

Solid

omg your not even 50 and your proclaiming thanes rock

fgs i have 2.5 years of experience with my thane, if you think you know better, good lck to 50 and good luck in RvR, honestly.

I am done with my Thane in RvR, i learned we are bottom of the pile when it comes to competitiveness and balance in end game group vs group buffed active RA'ed RvR

Next time you say "with my 50 shield spec" perhaps say 42+XX cos i dotn have a problem adding up, you have a problem being clear

C

Cozak

How many 50 shield Thanes do you see? Yes I'am proclaiming thanes rock from my experince with them. Got a problem with that? Tell it to someone who gives a fuck. Im going with the old saying now, Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you are still retarded. I shall level to 50 and enjoy it then we shall see, until then Thanes own, ttfn.

Users who are viewing this thread