News My gas bill just went up 35% :(

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
bummer.

I'm with British Gas as well. time to turn off everything and get in plenty of jumpers for the winter I think

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Ask about price fixing until 2009 on both types of energy supply - all the major companies offer it because, I'm afraid, it's set to get a lot worse before Christmas :(

I luckily signed up to both and my prices aren't affected by recent hikes. Sorry to hear of your situation, that's a lot of cash on a monthly basis. :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ask about price fixing until 2009 on both types of energy supply - all the major companies offer it because, I'm afraid, it's set to get a lot worse before Christmas :(

I luckily signed up to both and my prices aren't affected by recent hikes. Sorry to hear of your situation, that's a lot of cash on a monthly basis. :(

Aye things are starting to get tight. I am moving all my food shopping to Aldi and Lidl from this week, some serious savings to be had there and no loss in quality if you do a little research....

Award winning food from Aldi

ALDI - Quality Food Awards 2007

Award winning food from Lidl

Lidl Online

You would pay twice the price for the same quality of those products at Sainsburys.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
This is why you use electrity and not gas from the fifties :p

What the hell you use the gas for anyhow? never found that out.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Aye things are starting to get tight. I am moving all my food shopping to Aldi and Lidl from this week, some serious savings to be had there and no loss in quality if you do a little research....

Lidl Online

You would pay twice the price for the same quality of those products at Sainsburys.

Glad you are using them :) to be fair, these foods are the same everywhere, yet the big chains sell them for anywhere between 3-6 times the cost!

Bread
Cheese
Milk
Orange Juice
Orange Squash
Butter
Ham
Tinned food
Frozen food

There are a few things you cannot get from Lidl/Aldi but they're good for 90% of your shopping.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture

Lidl Online

Definitely some good bargains to be had at those stores - particularly fruit btw, it's dirt cheap in comparison to many stores (although I only eat rubbish, the wife eats lots of fruit and veg). Although I shop there too regularly because it's literally at the end of my street, Sainsburys is quite a rip off.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Bread
Cheese
Milk
Orange Juice
Orange Squash
Butter
Ham
Tinned food
Frozen food

I've got a farmfoods about 30-40meters near me (stlong living in town) and those are pretty much the ONLY things we buy there. We buy stuff like meat/veg from ASDA (Well, what we need anyway) and stuff like toothpaste etc from the smaller shops. Milk and OJ highlighted as we go (myself and parent) through about 3l every 1 1/2 days. OJ I live on too XD

Big companies (ASDA etc) are failing on certain prices, they're cheap on certain things (I mean, fuck, ASDA sweets I've seen cheaper in other shops) but for most others, they're lose.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What are you going to do about it ?

All the suppliers have put their prices up so switching supplier won't do much good.

The high prices are here to stay....at least for the next 2/3 years.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Glad you are using them :) to be fair, these foods are the same everywhere, yet the big chains sell them for anywhere between 3-6 times the cost!

Bread
Cheese
Milk
Orange Juice
Orange Squash
Butter
Ham
Tinned food
Frozen food

There are a few things you cannot get from Lidl/Aldi but they're good for 90% of your shopping.

Aldi and Lidl bread is fine, it is all baked by Allied Bakeries who own Hovis. Thier 100% pure orange juice not concentrate is lovely, the norpak butter is made for them by Lurpak. The ham sucks but the beef pastrami is the dogs bollocks so to speak, not literally. ;) Milk is milk. Oh and Aldi have won numerous awards for thier cheeses as well.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Any of you mother-lickers ever made your own bread ?

Any of you ever milked a cow before ?

Anyone ever put a live wriggling earthworm in their mouth

Ignore that last one.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I have done the other two!

I was such a mama's boy when I was young, like baking several times a week -.-

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Any of you mother-lickers ever made your own bread ?

Any of you ever milked a cow before ?

Anyone ever put a live wriggling earthworm in their mouth

Ignore that last one.

I stopped making my own bread when it became more expensive time/money wise then perfectly fine bread from Lidl.

Lidl uses, in finland, same producers as the branded ones but sell it half the price.

Only problem is that people THINK the meat etc comes from "somewhere" and that if you shop Lidl you're "poor". Silly people :D

I've made own cheese, sausage and jam to name a few by the way :cheers:

Helme

Resident Freddy
Lidl is pure quality, atleast here, the only thing I don't really like is their potatoes but I live next door to a local potato farmer who sells it cheaper anyways :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I stopped making my own bread when it became more expensive time/money wise then perfectly fine bread from Lidl.

Lidl uses, in finland, same producers as the branded ones but sell it half the price.

Only problem is that people THINK the meat etc comes from "somewhere" and that if you shop Lidl you're "poor". Silly people :D

I've made own cheese, sausage and jam to name a few by the way :cheers:

Exactly the same problems in the UK bud, brand snobbery BUT it is coming to and end with the current rises in cost of living. People who are very middle class are now trying the budget supermarkets and finding that there is good quality to be had at great prices. Slowly but surely people are realising.

Apparently Aldi have reported 29% increase in customers since May and Lidl are showing a 17% rise. Wait until the energy price rises take hold, those customer numbers will just keep growing and growing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We do a big shop each month at Tesco for ingredients and a few brands, Heinz ketchup, Heinz beans, proper mayo and beef then do smaller weekly shops at Aldi, save over £50 a month.

I turn all the lights off in the house anyway. have a small LED lamp on my desk for when I am on the PC and 1 light on in the living room. fuck-um, if they want to put their prices up i will stop using their product as much as I can. stocking up with wood for the winter for the log fire :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We do a big shop each month at Tesco for ingredients and a few brands, Heinz ketchup, Heinz beans, proper mayo and beef then do smaller weekly shops at Aldi, save over £50 a month.

I turn all the lights off in the house anyway. have a small LED lamp on my desk for when I am on the PC and 1 light on in the living room. fuck-um, if they want to put their prices up i will stop using their product as much as I can. stocking up with wood for the winter for the log fire :)

Very sensible, give Lidl a try if you can as well. The quality isn't as consistent as Aldi but the do have some superb stuff, just do a little research.

Helme

Resident Freddy
You should try their deep frozen garlic baguettes, they are godlike.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
in denmark its been "popular" to shop ALDI for quite a while. many of my friends parents been doing it for a couple of year - they still have alot of rubbish but their wares arent bad for everyday use as most know. When i lived out i usually shopped ALDI or NETTO, maybe FAKTA (for the danes, they will know). Nowadays in denmark FAKTA is the most expensive discount, so not so popular anymore.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Lidl is great. bought a pair of shoes there 3 years ago and they still aint anywhere near as broken as most of the expensive as hell shoes would have been.

and their food is just great to. cheap as hell but no worse then if bought of one of the brand supermarkets.

only thing i'm not buying from Lidl is their milk because its not from sweden.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You should try their deep frozen garlic baguettes, they are godlike.

Yep the lidl ones with garlic butter are better than ANY you will find elsewhere and only 59p for a pack of 2 as well. :D

pikeh

Resident Freddy
The Lidl in Canterbury is a complete dive imo.
But then again, my 'rents get 10% discount in Morrisons because my sister works there.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The Lidl in Canterbury is a complete dive imo.
But then again, my 'rents get 10% discount in Morrisons because my sister works there.

Don't judge the decor, it is the produce that matters. 90% of the stuff they sell is made in the same factories as the branded stuff other supermarkets sell, it just costs 30% less because they don't have massive overheads to pay such as TV adverts, loads of staff and fancy shops. The stores are basic and clean, they generally have 10-15% of the staff a normal store has and that translates into big savings for the customers. The old quality of produce arguement is really a non-starter anymore, Aldi and Lidl have won dozens of awards from trade bodies and independant media for the quality of thier food.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Don't judge the decor, it is the produce that matters. 90% of the stuff they sell is made in the same factories as the branded stuff other supermarkets sell, it just costs 30% less because they don't have massive overheads to pay such as TV adverts, loads of staff and fancy shops. The stores are basic and clean, they generally have 10-15% of the staff a normal store has and that translates into big savings for the customers. The old quality of produce arguement is really a non-starter anymore, Aldi and Lidl have won dozens of awards from trade bodies and independant media for the quality of thier food.

I guess you're right, didnt do a big shop in there so I cant really comment on the quality of the food, but the shop smelt like manure.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
This is why you use electrity and not gas from the fifties :p

What the hell you use the gas for anyhow? never found that out.

hot water, heating, oven.
says how much gas prices are really if you think about thats all we use it for, water and oven in the summer as apposed to all the electrical appliances, my gas and electricity bills were just about equal before summer every 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom