my fps sux !

O

old.thadevil

ty for the info on Q3 stuff bro - i have checked my fps and its 40 - 45 ....i cant see why as i have a high spec comp and RivaTnT2 3d card - any one who knows what could be causing this please reply ....
tnx again Gav

O

old.MeanMrMustard

Nothing wrong with 40-45. I have TNT2m64 and i get 40-45. If you don't like it then turn down the detail settings. I can play comfortably at 25 fps so 40 is good. Of course if you want 150+ get a Geforce 2 ultra

O

old.thadevil

thanx again bro ! please read on ->

So if i get a GFORCE2 3DGpx Card that will sort out my problem because at the mo i find it to jerky to play ????
Can ya gimmie some details on this card ie: price spec.....thnx
Gav

[Edited by thadevil on 31-01-01 at 21:32]

O

old.MeanMrMustard

lol, tbh i wouldn't get a Geforce 2 ULTRA enless you have won chris tarrents, who wants to be a million air. It costs £400 (lol-i still chuckle when i think that ppl charge that amount of money). If you want great framerates, any of the Geforce 2 cards will be fine. Geforce2 MX costs £100 and is still a pretty fast card. Geforce 2 GTS £200 a fast card.
Geforce2 pro £300 (i think) VERY fast card. Geforce 2 ultra $400 I have seen one of these and it is very nice but the bang for the buck is a little off. If you have a lot of money get a pro since it is only a tad slower than the ultra and £100 less (you could spend 50 quid of that on cooling devices to overclock it to as fast as the Ultra)

If you are strapped for cash then then get an MX, good card but not a future proof as the GTS.

Only get the Ultra if you have a lot of money and only accept the best from your comp.

Spec of MX
Specifications

Architectural Highlights

NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR)
2nd Generation T and L Engines
Double Data Rate (DDR) Memory
DirectX Texture Compression
700 Mtexel Fill Rate
20 Million triangles/sec through T and L and setup
2.8 GB/sec Memory Bandwidth
NVIDIA Unified Driver Architecture™
Specification

256-bit graphics architecture
AGP 2X and 4X support, including
Fast Writes and Execute Mode
Maximum 3D/2D resolution of 2048*1536 @ 60Hz
32Mb of DDR SGRAM
3D Features

High Performance Hardware
Antialiasing
Optimised DirectX and OpenGL acceleration
256-bit graphics engine
8 texture-mapped, filtered, lit texels per clock cycle
Single pass multi-texturing
32-bit Colours Z/Stencil buffer
High Quality Texture Filtering, including Anisotropic
Advanced per-pixel, perspective- correct texturing and Shading
Cube environment mapping
Per-pixel dot product 3 bump mapping
Per-pixel lighting and shading
Projective textures
Procedural textures
Multi-texture and multi-pass
Texture modulation
Per-pixel Bump mapping
Light maps
Reflection maps
BRDF Support: Bi-Directional Reflectance Distribution Functions
DX6 texture compression
Fog and Depth Cueing
Radial or Linear
Per-vertex or per-pixel
2D Features

High Performance 256-bit 2D acceleration
Optimised for multiple colour depths including 32, 24, 16,15 and 8-bits per pixel
True-colour hardware cursor
Multi-buffering (double, triple, quad buffering) for smooth animation and video playback
X and Y smooth up scaling and downscaling
Per-pixel colour keying
Multiple video windows with hardware colour space conversion (YUV 4:2:2 and 4:2:0) and 5-tap horizontal by 3-tap vertical filtering
DVD sub-picture alpha blended compositing
Video acceleration for DirectShow, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and Indeo
Drivers

Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, display drivers
Windows95, Windows 98 display drivers supporting DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectVideo, ActiveX
OpenGL ICD for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT
Fully PC00, PC99, PC99a compliant.

O

old.MeanMrMustard

well it all depends on what processor your running and how much ram you have. If you don't want to spend money then just lower the resolution in game.

O

old.TUG

Without sounding rude, high spec'd PC's don't have vid cards from 3 generations back (i.e. TNT2!) :D

Yep, as Mr Mustard says, the MX is nice VFM. Even better is the GeForce 1 DDR if you play @ 1024*768*32bit colour.

If you wanna get an MX, I know how you can get one for 60 quid if you're a 1st time customer @ http://www.buy.com :D

O

old.MeanMrMustard

Yeah, i didn't want to tell you but the TNT2 wouldn't be my idea of a top end card. Still it will last quite a long time yet but you won't be getting good FPS and good graphics. I am hopeing to upgrade to geforce 2 GTS when the NV20 comes out because hopefully it will be a lot lower than it is now.

O

old.MeanMrMustard

Put it this way. Picking 1 random line from that spec list...

8 texture-mapped, filtered, lit texels per clock cycle
the tnt2 has 2 texture-mapped, filtered, lit texels per clock cycle :)

O

old.MeanMrMustard

TUG, does the MX support T&L?

EDIT*ahh yes forget it

O

old.thadevil

thanx again you guys ->

Cool i have just checked that the GForce2 mx is availiable on PCI - which leads me to my next question .....whats the difference between pci and agp ???? whats the better one ???
Gav

O

old.TUG

AGP has a dedicated high bandwidth data bus meaning data can come and go quicker to the vid card basically, however it doesn't make *too* much difference to the performance over a PCI based card *as of yet!* but in the future things are likely to be different :)

You can catch me on ICQ whenever ya want Mr Devil ;)

O

old.MeanMrMustard

especially with AGP x8 being announced :)

O

old.Quorthon

which will be another pointless invention since it is well known that in the real world, agp 2x/4x is not currently utilised as was originally intended and give negligible differences in frame rates in games such as Q3, even though they might influence theoretical mem bandwidth scores in benchmarking apps such as 3dmark. I suspect 8x will be an equally damp squib.

Q

O

old.Quorthon

oh and Thadevil

go to the upset chaps q3 guide at

http://ucguides.savageuniverse.com/Quake3/AquaQuake3Guide.html

Which gives all sorts of framerate and visual tweaks to eek the most fps possible out of your system. They have a number of example configs depending on whether you want best image quality, best performance or various blends in between.

This is really what it comes down to - ie how pretty do you like your games? If you want the ultimate image quality, you will have to pay.

Q

O

old.thadevil

Mislead

Yeah well i payed over £1500 for a comp i was told was the multimedia breakthrough of the century last year lol and it would cope with any game on the market for atleast two years :) Damn sales people lol turns out i aint even got an agp slot Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....but i am focused on making this machine as up to date as possible with out spending mega bux ....does any one know how much a new Mother board would be and is it a straight forward swap over to fit a new more upto date 1????
Gav

C

Chameleon

Go to the link that Quorthon posted mate and download the different cfg files there. Try each and find ya balance between fps and ugly.
Also, once done, run a timedemo (described in the guide) and see what your fps comes out at and also (using /cg_drawfps 1) check what your average is while 'in-game'. Then check your

/com_maxfps

setting, as this may be causing the lag u describe.
If you are getting an everage fps much lower than your com_maxfps, you will get graphics lag.

To give u an example ........ I used to get about 80 fps, then I tweaked all the settings I could find until it was a nice balance between ugly and lotsa fps and now I get 150 fps. This allows com_maxfps to be set to 125 and the games v smooth :D
It's a good investment of your time to get your config right imo.

Ch@m

O

old.Quorthon

lo Chameleon m8,

That reminds me, there is another geezer using your name frequenting the jolt/bw ra3 servers!!!!

Mistook him for yourself the other night.....

Q

O

old.thadevil

maybee its LAG drom my 56ker??

i have just noticed that when i play offline the Jitters are some what les than when online My ping varies from 300 - 700 could this be the biggest part of my problem ...also its not the actual sceenary that does jitter it its the players as they move the kinda flash -there then not there is the only way of describing it ??
i ran a cg_Drawfps 1 command and found that my fps were between 45 and 83 so i have set my max framerate as 50 - have i done right ???

O

old.Quorthon

Re: maybee its LAG drom my 56ker??

Originally posted by thadevil
i have just noticed that when i play offline the Jitters are some what les than when online My ping varies from 300 - 700 could this be the biggest part of my problem ...also its not the actual sceenary that does jitter it its the players as they move the kinda flash -there then not there is the only way of describing it ??
i ran a cg_Drawfps 1 command and found that my fps were between 45 and 83 so i have set my max framerate as 50 - have i done right ???

Yeah this is about right for the fps levels you describe - its still worth looking at the guide I mentioned above though, to see can you eek a bit more out of your system - you will find that for basic Q3, a TNT2 is ok, but if you get into some 16 player Ra3 games on open maps, the frame rate will fall drastically.

As for the jittering, this is known as "lag", and with a ping of 300-700 this could be very bad. The guides referred to above actually have lots of tips about how to tweak your network settings to minimise this, so I suggest you look this up.

Q

O

old.MeanMrMustard

Well try it in off line mode and see if it still happens. Also When a slaes assistant tells you that a PC will last 2-3 years he mean in 3 years time you will be getting poor FPS with all detail off and at low resolutions :( I personally hate the way games graphics engines advance so fast, i don't have the cash to buy a new graphics card every year or so on top of paying for my other hobbies :(.

O

old.thadevil

how do i D/L the cgf files?

when i click download all i get is all the settings written down and i cant even copy and paste them into console ????how can i put it into my console in my
Gav

C

Chameleon

Originally posted by Quorthon
lo Chameleon m8,

That reminds me, there is another geezer using your name frequenting the jolt/bw ra3 servers!!!!

Mistook him for yourself the other night.....

Q

Ello mate.
Ah!!!! the old chameleon thing eh ;)
My clan (BoP) bizzarely has Ch@meleon (me) and a guy called Chamelion. Weird I know :)
Main differences being the slight change in spelling and the @ in mine.
The only other way to tell is that he's the consistant one who always plays well ....... while im the one whos either playing out of his skin with the railgun, or pissing and moaning about his ping or pl ;)

C

Chameleon

Re: how do i D/L the cgf files?

Originally posted by thadevil
when i click download all i get is all the settings written down and i cant even copy and paste them into console ????how can i put it into my console in my
Gav

If you right click on them, you should be able to select something like 'save target as' and then specify a location to put them in.
Alternatively, copy the stuff into a text file (use notepad or write). Go to the bottom of the file and add a line that says

Echo CUSTOM CFG LOADED SUCCESSFULLY

and then when u go to save it, change the file types to 'ALL' and then call it

anyname.cfg

and save it in c:\programfiles\quakeIIIarena\baseq3 (if thats where u installed q3).
Then, from the console (once your in the game) type

/exec anyname.cfg

you should see the last line

CUSTOM CFG LOADED SUCCESSFULLY

so now you know its loaded.

Now do

/vid_restart

as some changes may not take effect until you do this.

Give each file that u download a different name, exec each, see what u like best, pick one (or a combination of settings) and then rename that final file that you are happy with to

autoexec.cfg

and put in 'baseq3' directory.
This will now automatically load every time u start the game. (albeit version 1.27 is a bit buggy about this)

If you play RA3, or play on osp servers, copy this autoexec.cfg into the 'arena' and 'osp' directories too.

Any more probs, let us know.

Ch@m

O

old.*ARD*(UK)

I agree with some of the other replies. Don't bother with a Geforce Ultra. I use a Hercules 3d Prophet MX, 1ghz T/Bird, 128mb, Cable modem, Abit KT7Raid M/Board and get 90-95 fps. The mx was ninty quid from Game Store, KT7 120 quid, T/bird 150 quid. Don.t think I'll need to bother upgrading for some time. Q3A is smooth as silk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom