Help My EOS 7D is sick :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
After being simply cock-a-whoop with my new camera, it turns out that I've got an issue that a fair few other 7D owners are experiencing - there appears to be a vertical "corduroy" pattern at ISO 100. It might not look like a big deal, but it can be rather noticeable on large prints particularly on blue sky. Adding in curves adjustment layers also serves to enhance the pattern.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, a moan and a warning to anyone thinking about buying a 7D. I will be phoning Canon in the morning to see what they can do, one bloke had the entire sensor and associated circuitry replaced and that cured the problem.

Anyway, here are some crops that exhibit the problem

mg0454jpeg.jpg

mg1609jpeg.jpg

Edit: the issue also afflicts the EOS 5D Mk 2 - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=34854011

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
argh, that's awful! return it forthwith!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Print all your shots on canvas, nobody will tell the difference!

Got to think of the positives

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The 20D used to have a similar problem on high ISO, it was fixed with a software update to the camera.

old.user4556

Just spoken to Canon who were incredibly professional and helpful (no waiting around or arsing about); it's clearly under warranty and he gave me the option of taking it up with Warehouseexpress or to send the body direct to Canon for inspection and repair (if required). Their turnaround time is a week minimum which I thought was awesome, but if you're a member of CPS (which I presume is canon professional services, or something) then it's much quicker. Certainly beats Pentax's six week fuck around for a simple lens repair.

old.user4556

I gotta say, bar this problem, the 7D is the absolute shit. I know it's just a camera, but by christ I'm having a lot of fun with it. The most important and impressive tech on it has to be the autofocus in terms of speed / accuracy, it's right up there with the 1D. My 70-200mm arrive a few weeks ago and it's been a hoot for taking bird shots that my Pentax was completely useless for. Here's a pic of a pigeon that came past at warp speed that I seriously didn't think the AF could handle:

mg0795a.jpg

Landscape:

mg08931s.jpg

With regards to this banding problem, it's worst at ISO 100 but it seems to go away from ISO 160 and upwards - bit weird. I can get by using ISO 160 for landscape just now and I'm torn about sending it back to Canon. I've read stories of cameras coming back from Canon not fixed, so I may just wait a few months for a firmware update.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Popular spot that. :) Saw the attached in the new Digital Photographer magazine.

Impressive AF on that pigeon too. That seems to be one area where there is a bit of a gulf between the 50D and the 7D.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 18

old.user4556

Oh yeah, very very popular, they're gonna have to put a viewing platform in because of all the marks left by tripods! ;) I've taken that particular shot from lower down right by the water, with the following taken from probably exactly the same spot (it looks like he's corrected for distortion as that looks a little 'stretched' to me).

mg0891ssquare.jpg

Although it's a popular spot, there are a wide variety of shots taken at the same spot at differing times of the year and different weather conditions. In winter, the landscape has hues of brown and pale purple but in the summer you can get rich green and vibrant purple in the heather. If you're lucky you can get a snowy shot with stormy clouds and the river in spate.

old.user4556

What exactly about low light do you need to know teeds? I presume you mean having to use high ISOs due to low light? or are you referring to how the AF system performs in low light? Is it a 1D Mk3 or a 1DS Mk3?

TdC

well, low as in concert photography, and yes the performance of the AF. my friend uses quite high ISO's though on his camera you don't really see it (if I think back to my film days, ye gods, 6400 was teh grainy fook tbh). iirc he uses a 5D mk3 because it performs best with the high values he needs (according to him, better than the 1D).

he winges continuously about the AF performance, where Nikon is better he says, but dislikes the big N for the UI, and other things that I kind of phase out and stop listening when he gets really hard core nerd on me ;)

TdC

oh , it's a 5D mk II he emails me

old.user4556

I can't really say without knowing all the variables involved, but generally the performance of the AF system tails off as the amount of available light drops off. The AF system needs a contrasty subject to be able to lock focus properly (try autofocusing against a bright white wall), so I'm guessing his subject matter isn't illuminated that well. Additionally, some lenses hunt for focus worse than others. My Canon 15-85mm EF-S (one of Canon's latest) is much, much better achieving focus in low light than my Canon EF 50mm (an old lens design), so the question is what lenses is he using with the camera? Is he using Canon lenses?

The AF system in the 1D series is (as you would expect) the best as they use cross-type AF sensors across the whole AF sensor array where as the 5D Mk2 only has single axis (less accurate) sensors on the peripheral AF sensors (however,the centre focus point is a cross-type point). It's possible that the AF may be less reliable in low light whilst using an outer AF point as they are less sensitive. FWIW, the 7D's AF system is more akin to the 1D in that it employs cross-type AF points for all of the AF points.

HTH?

Also, take a look at this AF torture test:

Autofocus Torture Test Updated (Canon 1D MKIV & Nikon D3S added) | Pro Photo Home

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom