My Dad

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Well last night, even though I had taken the roof of my mouth off with boiling vlokken, I was in the most amazing frame of mind, I still am to point.... Christmas, New Year, holiday, clothes shopping, friends etc

I decided to call my parents as I was feeling good. It was lateish but they are an hour earlier so thought it would be oki.

Mum answered the phone, unusually. I asked if she was oki and enquired as to why they had gone to bed so early praying she did not tell me they were shagging.. although in hindsight I wish she had.

Daddy isnt well :(, apparently he has been having coughing /sneezing fits and collapsing. These fits are becoming more frequent. Im really close to him, he is like my oldest friend, so wise... Needless to say I am at sixes and sevens as I feel so helpless ;/

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
yeah, imagine him on a bus doing all that coughing and spluttering, annoying the other passengers...................

on a serious note, i hope he is ok, its the time of year when everyone gets some sort of bug, the oldies seem to get it worse every year. My dad has his flu jab every year now so that helps.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
to the hospital !
seriously !
now !
i doubt either of your parents are qualified to diagnose anything, and its far better to be told "oh its ok, its just a cold" or whatever than the other option

hope it works out ok :)

Yoni

It is not a cold... apparently this has been going on for a few months... gonna ring now to check stuff is being done.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
coming from me you'll prolly find this odd, but as Mabs said really. a cold I know, I know a cold, but if I ever really felt bad or fell down or anything I'd be at the doctors like a flash.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
There has been load of bugs going round this year due to the changes in the weather etc etc.

Yoni I am sure he will be fine :) Try and not to panic or anything, hell be cool :)

((Hugs Yoni))

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
It is not a cold... apparently this has been going on for a few months... gonna ring now to check stuff is being done.

well quite, but i wasnt going to start bandying around words and jinx it so was playing it safe :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Some god awful bugs going around this year and I hope thats what your dad has got (in a nice way). It sounds like when he is sneezing he is making something loose, like a nerve or something in his brain, sort of being knocked out.

Isn't it right that when you sneeze you go unconcious for a split second, maybe a nerve is knackered and its conveying the wrong message to the brain.

What the fuck do I know though, hope papa Yoni gets better soon and I am sure he will.

Yoni

Some god awful bugs going around this year and I hope thats what your dad has got (in a nice way). It sounds like when he is sneezing he is making something loose, like a nerve or something in his brain, sort of being knocked out.

Isn't it right that when you sneeze you go unconcious for a split second, maybe a nerve is knackered and its conveying the wrong message to the brain.

What the fuck do I know though, hope papa Yoni gets better soon and I am sure he will.
It is not a virus or a cold. Basically when he coughs or sneezes violently which is the majority of the time it stops the flow of blood to his head which causes him to pass out. Although not a killer situationally it could be catastrophic in that he is still driving and he and mum are the prime carers for my 1 year old nephew and my new niece when she is born early next year... not to mention if he is just out walking or cooking etc etc

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
To help him along:

Blood flow can be improved by keeping the body warm and the feet cool, wet socks in a warm bed is the easiest way. Lots of fluids thins the blood too.

Fruit juices strong in acid are good for easing coughing and sneezing fits, the acidic enviroment kills bacteria in the throat and the vitaman c is good for the immune system, 1000mg is ideal but more is ok because you can't overdose on vit c as the body disposes of any excess it doesnt want.

An as much fresh garlic as you can feed him. Garlic is a wonderful natural antiseptic, and is excellent for the heart.

These are all methods to ease symptoms and are not a cure for anything.

Yoni

he went to the drs this afternoon.. he is also anemic and they want to start testing for bowel cancer asap.. ironically his diet has always been high in iron. I am not sure whether any of this is related to these sneezing / coughing passing out things.

I will pass on that information to my mum Dave.. as I obviously can not just pop round myself :|

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gah Yonstar - I hope he's ok! :fluffle:

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
If coughing and sneezing violently id what is making him pass out then, as Dave said, that sounds like something to do with bloodflow to the brain, and the most obvious culprit would be veins in the neck. I really would advise getting him to A&E will all urgency, where they can do an ultrasound on said blood vessels and make sure there are no bulges where there shouldn't be. If the Gp is worried about him too, thats enough for me to say get him to A&E asap.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
...and iirc mycenae is a nurse so take her advice Yonlar, give your Mum a ring.

Yoni

He has been to the Drs today who said it is not life threaterning as it stands although situationally as I have already said it could be horrible. Currently I am more concerned with the bowel cancer stuff. I will telephone again tomorrow to see how his is however I do not want him worried that I am worried as potentially this is not good for him either.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
to be honest yons, I don't want you or him to worry more than is necessary either, but if the Dr is worried enough to want to test for cancer, then this is something you could have a more definitive answer to within 4 hours in A&E. A simple blood test can give you a very good idea of cancer markers, and you wouldn't have 2 weeks of agonising waiting like you would if the GP did it. I still think he should go to A&E.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Doesn't this sound like the sort of thing where an MRI would be useful too?

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I'm sorry yoni, my thoughts are with you and everyone else but i'm pretty sure you don't have to worry too much.

Damn it you made me make a post.
/me disappears in a puff of smoke

Uara

Part of the furniture
awwwwwwww hope things get better with your dad!! I'd recommend a trip to A&E as well, with something like this its better to be safe than sorry/*

*I'm not advocating every tom,dick and harry going to see their GP as they've got a slight cold as that is just annoying and pointless!

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
MRI and/or a CT Nath.....again, these can be done in A&E if deemed necessary.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
He has been to the Drs today who said it is not life threaterning as it stands although situationally as I have already said it could be horrible. Currently I am more concerned with the bowel cancer stuff. I will telephone again tomorrow to see how his is however I do not want him worried that I am worried as potentially this is not good for him either.

It's sad to hear that your dad is ill. Try to stay positive and I hope he gets better.

I know you feel helpless at the moment but the Doctors treating him are in the best position to know what tests are required and I am sure they are doing everything in their powers to help him.

If the doctors are worried about bowel cancer by far and away the best test to do is colonoscopy (or a variant of this). This is where the doctors stick a camera into your anus and look at the large intestine. They will also be able to take small tissue samples for analysis. It sounds quite unpleasant but is a very safe procedure with less than 1 in 1000 cases having any complications. The patient is also sedated so they will be awake during the procedure but are likely to forget the whole thing.

Blood test while useful are un-reliable. An MRI or other scan may also be needed as well as the colonoscopy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom