Muslim sues tesco for making him carry alcohol

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
He claims he was forced to leave because handling beer, spirits and wine is against his strict Islamic beliefs and that he was victimised when he asked the company to give him another role.
Mr Ahmed, who was raised in Saudi Arabia, told the tribunal he had no idea his job entailed handling alcohol when he started work last September at the depot in Lichfield, Staffordshire.

why is this any of tesco fault?
stupid fucking idiot.

tris-

isnt this just the same as saying "well im fat, and unfit and i dont believe in exerting my self so i dont want to do my job at any type of pace". and then moaning because you get fired for not doing your job?
its still a reason based on a belief in the end. this type of shit has no place at work. youre paid to do something and you should do it if you want to work there.

or am i just insane?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Maybe he should get a more suitable job, like working in the poppy fields? I hear thats allowed by some Muslims

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i would really really like to know what other muslims think of this kind of exploitative behaviour (the guy was obviously using this as an excuse to make a shit load of cash, play the religious prejudice card and no one will stand up to you), and whether they are as disgusted by it as i am. Surely by people like this using their religion or colour or whatever to make a fast buck they are being seriously disrespectful to people who have legitimate claims against people who actually are mistreating them.

/disgusted.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So? Is this only news and shocking 'cause it's a religion thing?

Have we looked at US lawsuits, which britain is a "older brother" of sorts, and what those include? Cats in microwaves etc?

People say religion shouldn't be treated specially, yet answers to a religious lawsuit that is silly, are filled with disgust and shock and anger even.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
tbh (not stalking you btw its just that you answer everything too damn fast) i'm pretty sodding disgusted with folk who exploit situations for financial gain when its either their fault or nothing bad has even happened (i.e. the case in point marc posted) or those fat people who sue McDonalds or people who sue after burning themselves on hot chocolate saying that the container wasn't marked "hot".

it'd be like running about having unprotected nookie with every streetwalker you can find then suing because you get the clap.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh if you're disgusted equally at every bugger alive suing for a penny for a bonk, then yes, be disgusted and outraged as much as your heart can stand :D

Just that mostly these "silly lawsuits" get a lol and a *Cough*, but every time religion coes to play, it seems like people are yelling for murder.

And i'm not answering fast, i move i a different reality you slowpants :p

The thing that stops you from posting in 15 seconds or so? 30 years here mam.

tris-

its nothing to do with religion.
hes got a contract to work and hes got duties like everyone else who is being paid a wage to do it.
if he didnt like the job, he can quit. no one makes him work. no one made him apply to work there.
belief shouldnt come into play at work. youre there following a contract and thats that.

but for some reason if its a religious belief being impeded the courts are brought in. but in my example above of a personal belief, id be told to go fuck my self if i used it for an excuse. if my belief is that i should be paid to do nothing while at work, why cant i enforce it? its still a belief just as a muslim belief towards alcohol.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
The content of the case doesn't really matter, it is the conduct of the managers which will be the likely reason this goes to court.
If you raised a grievence about anything and are victimised as a result you have grounds for a complaint/court case
regardless of religion/race/belief/sex

I think seel hit the nail on the head tbh

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
It appears he is suing for racial discrimination as well - I'm not sure how they can show that. "In my country, it is illegal to handle beer", "Thats a great story, get back to work".

It's like someone going to work in a bakery who has a peanut allergy. The bakery may not explicitly declare there may be peanuts involved (and hence the job is not suitable) because they rightly assume that any applicants who have allergies would query this.

The person going for the job should be responsible enough to ask about the environment. I don't believe its the employers responsibility to state every potential situation in the job requirements, I think "General Duties" is fair enough.

Its yet another example of people not wanting to take responsibility for themselves. He should have asked at the interview, especially since he admits he knew other supermarkets sold alcohol.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
when i worked at ASDA i frequently complained that the managers (i complained to the managers, wasn't moping about grumping behind their backs) put me doing the heaviest aisle and i couldn't cope with it because it was causing me physical pain...the next night, im back on the same sodding aisle again, complain, next night same aisle.

supermarket managers don't listen to anyone its not a racial/discriminatory thing its because they are ignorant...

now where the hell was i going with this? bugger if i know anyway, all im saying is if you want to be the top hat then fine be the god damned top hat but i swear i will draw blood if someone doesnt pour me a pina colada soon and i'm being the scottie dog so you can all bugger off!

Nuurrrse!!!

Lucius

Banned
Maybe he is over reacting but it was unfair if the managers refused to let him do another role in the store.

tris-

Maybe he is over reacting but it was unfair if the managers refused to let him do another role in the store.

well if his role is x then why should he be allowed to do y just because of a belief?

i dont believe in hardwork so when i sign up as a bricky it would be unfair if they didnt let me sit there and watch.

liloe

It's my birthday today!

If you drive a forklift truck, you can't select what to drive, end of the story.

My religion forbids me to eat porc meat … if my boss asks me to drive that stuff around, I'll do it. Who am I to enforce my beliefs on others? I'm not eating it, I'm just driving it around, so what.

It's not like that guy is drinking the alcohol, his job is only to drive it around. The choice of drinking it remains for the customer.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
The guy should be thanking his lucky stars he got any kind of job out of them in the first place.

If I turned up for an interview with no idea what the employer I was interviewing for did or what I might be expected to do then i'd rightly expect to be told to f**k off. Tell the prat to actually bother to find out some details of the job before applying for it next time.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
So going forward now, Tescos will have to include a statement on the job description that says "involves transporting alcohol. Big deal.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
when i worked at ASDA i frequently complained that the managers (i complained to the managers, wasn't moping about grumping behind their backs) put me doing the heaviest aisle and i couldn't cope with it because it was causing me physical pain...the next night, im back on the same sodding aisle again, complain, next night same aisle.

supermarket managers don't listen to anyone its not a racial/discriminatory thing its because they are ignorant...
They didn't listen to him though, did they :p
I am pretty sure you had a valid case, difference being he is taking them to court

We are becoming more and more like american's and turning into a sue for everything culture

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
They didn't listen to him though, did they :p
I am pretty sure you had a valid case, difference being he is taking them to court

We are becoming more and more like american's and turning into a sue for everything culture
I wouldn't say 'we' Chronic, just stupid fucks like this guy.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The smaller the store, the better the manage-employee respect/relationship tbh :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
*Ahum* *Prepares Team America voice*

DURKA DURKA MOHAMMED JIHAD! DURKA DUKRA!

Yes. I went there.

Mey

Part of the furniture
This sort of stuff makes me want to change my degree to a law one and fight against stupid sueings.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
he applied for the job and he cant do it so hes been sacked/left why is this a problem?

Zede

Part of the furniture
He probably knew from the start he was on to a little earner there.

Problem is dumb ass white folks in the warehouse more than likely did discriminate - ive worked in logistics for 19 years and been in 1000s of freight/good warehouses, and the staff are all the same. I can see am all at dinner time, sun/star, pie & a fag. Play the race card, make some cash !

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Think Tris- nailed this one right on through

Only reason he got a case is because it is a religion; If it had been a personal belief, there had been no case.

And No; This is not the same as cat in microwave or coffee in container which isn't labelled HOT. Those cases are not about "My personal belief is that coffee is not hot" or something like that; No, they said they was not made aware of it, i.e. lack of given knowledge led to injury (dead cat, burned thighs).
Where is the injury here? His feelings; Great, he got his FEELINGS hurt due to claimed religious beliefs. Because he got a religious reason to be emotionally hurt by his job, it is considered legitimate (argue all you will, but you can't refute that spilling hot coffee down your lap will not cause injury, that is FACTUAL injury) by the courts, but if you claim being emotionally hurt by personal believes which got no religious nature, you're told to fuck off.
So this claim is 1 step further out than those cases people cite from America.
Not only could you laugh about he was supposed to know the logical outcome, i.e. laugh at his lack of knowledge that the job would include transportation of alchohol, which would be the same as the women not knowing the coffee was hot, but you also got the consideration; Was he really hurt?
You cannot doubt whatever the women with coffee was hurt.
You cannot doubt whatever the women, who had her cat die in a microwave, was emotionally hurt
You CAN doubt whatever this guy got emotionally offended/hurt, because it is just a belief.

But with the hypocrisy and all to much respect for religion in our society, he will probarly end up with getting money in compensation because he could use the magic word "religion" about his personal convictions and suddenly they are unquestionable, even by law.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
he applied for the job and he cant do it so hes been sacked/left why is this a problem?

Becuase he played the race card and passed Go! Which entitles him to free everything for life in UK society these days. ;)

If this was a Brit in Saudi he would have his Visa cancelled and be on the next flight home. Why can't we do the same?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i've said what i think, but Iceforge, are you actually trying to disbute the legitimacy of emotional weigh-ins?

Also, i meant that the reasction from people is what gives religion a "special place". People get outraged if religion is mentioned, when they should act the same as towards any "silly lawsuit".

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
ever been into a muslim run shop in the UK? what do they sell? booze and pepperami's... they dont have a problem with it. that twat just wants cash fast. simple as.

hang him under shariah law. see if he likes that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom