Music streaming services

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So I've got six months free premium spotify and it's pretty good.

My mum expressed a desire for a google speaker so she could ask it to play her songs (she wouldn't tbh - her mind won't prompt her to think to do it on her own - but maybe I could be surprised).

It's £15/month for a family spotify sub. Probably worth it for me, mum and the o/h alone, but could put a few more people on it. (Up to six accounts).

Question is - is spotify better than the other alternatives?

I'm committed to the google ecosystem btw. But doesn't mean youtube music is the only alternative.

What do you lot use, if indeed you do. And why? Recommendations?

:)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

My mum expressed a desire for a google speaker so she could ask it to play her songs (she wouldn't tbh - her mind won't prompt her to think to do it on her own - but maybe I could be surprised).

It's £15/month for a family spotify sub. Probably worth it for me, mum and the o/h alone, but could put a few more people on it. (Up to six accounts).

I'm committed to the google ecosystem btw. But doesn't mean youtube music is the only alternative.

They're all pretty much identical except Tidal, which, in theory, pays artists slightly more fairly than the others and also offers higher bit rates.

We have a family Spotify account but that's mainly because my missus loves the podcast range and it easy to use with Sonos speakers.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes I use Spotify. Some great Compilations on there. Makes me listen to music I wouldn't normally think to listen to.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just noticed that google play music only requires users to be in the same country to ude the 'family plan' whereas spotify wants you at the same address (and apparently checks occasionally asking you to verify using google maps).

Was v. tempted with spotify but if they're hard on checking then google might be the way to go.

Anyone know how different their catalogue is?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Aha. New thread.

Apple Music Family Subscription here. No particular reason why. We all have Apple devices but Spotify would have done the same.

I do come across the odd album that isn't on but I listen to some quite niche acts. I don't think Spotify is any better in that regard.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
NB. I keep getting reminders from Amazon that music is part of my Prime account. If you have Prime and haven't chosen a music service, it might be worth a look on those grounds alone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Prime music without the additional sub is really limited in terms of content @DaGaffer otherwise I'd not consider youtube or spotify tbh.

And just so we're consistent in threads: Apple @Wij??!

Teh Bad AIDZ!

Embattle

FH is my second home
NB. I keep getting reminders from Amazon that music is part of my Prime account. If you have Prime and haven't chosen a music service, it might be worth a look on those grounds alone.

The one with your Amazon prime account is the limited one, 2 million songs although some of the unlimited packages get slightly cheaper with a Prime account.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
We had family bundles on both Spotify and Google Play Music, ended up sticking with Spotify as the playlists are better.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Just noticed that google play music only requires users to be in the same country to ude the 'family plan' whereas spotify wants you at the same address (and apparently checks occasionally asking you to verify using google maps).

Was v. tempted with spotify but if they're hard on checking then google might be the way to go.

Anyone know how different their catalogue is?

Ive used Spotify for years with family plan never been asked to verify

Not sure how it would work, people use it on the move after all

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Spotify. Started using it because the wife spent more on CD's a month than the family subscription. It works on most everything so you're not locked into an ecosystem. Plus it's nice to see google/amazon/apple losing at something for a change.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Plus it's nice to see google/amazon/apple losing at something for a change.

I still don't understand how Spotify are still around since all they do is make losses, they can't cross subsidize like the other three either.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I also use spotify although I put all my CDs on my hardrive before I left blighty for Europe - I didn't need the baggage and left with 2 suitcases and a few boxes - gosh seems like a lifetime ago

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Alexa Amazon is only 3.50 a month and you can use it on your phone with the same quality voice commands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom