''Murica shutting down'

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Fun fact; if you call it Obamacare (its Fox News name), it get's a 36% approval rating. If you call it The Assisted Care Act (its actual name), you get a 45% approval rating. And if you don't call it by its actual name and describe what the act is actually supposed to do, the approval rating is well over 50%. I'd love to say the Americans are a bunch of media-manipulated pig-ignorant morons, but I doubt we're that much different en masse. :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The budget effects on business are huge. In our industry (Aerospace) we have been informed that the FAA are not processing PMA applications. This paperwork is required to legally sell parts to airlines. So a new aircraft could be delivered or retrofitted under FAA TC (Type Certificate) or STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) but no spares will be sold with the aircraft from the various Avionics Companies. A single widebody aircraft being grounded due to lack of spares would cost around 50k USD per day (Interest alone) plus loss of revenue, airport parking fees.... None of the Avionics retailers can legally sell the parts. They will stop manufacturing if this goes on too long and start laying off staff.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
945829_10151659708122727_613477606_n.png

Chilly

Balls of steel
While I agree with almost everything you've said, Congress was actually elected 3 years ago now, before this last election. So the President actually has a mandate right now, and one AFTER Obamacare for that matter.
Oops, good spot. It's often the way I describe, but in this case not. Ta.

Poag

m00?
Additionally. Obama actually got re-elected using The Health Care act as his platform......nothing really says "we support this" like that does.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
The commons can override the Lords, in the UK, by the way. The commons can do literally anything, they are the power. They let the Lords live through mercy and tradition.

I believe the Commons can only override the Lords after the Lords has bounced the legislation back three times. I quite like the idea of the Lords, at least in my memory they've tended to act "in the good of the country" whereas the Commons tends to work for re-election and is becoming more of a popularity contest.

They've got bonkers employment laws in the USA if you can get told not to come in tomorrow, you won't get pay and we might not want you back.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Fun fact; if you call it Obamacare (its Fox News name), it get's a 36% approval rating. If you call it The Assisted Care Act (its actual name), you get a 45% approval rating. And if you don't call it by its actual name and describe what the act is actually supposed to do, the approval rating is well over 50%. I'd love to say the Americans are a bunch of media-manipulated pig-ignorant morons, but I doubt we're that much different en masse. :(

Got a source for that? I like that fact.

soze

I am a FH squatter
A friend was saying why does a president leaving his 2nd term never do anything great. Like Obama bans all guns or similar. As they can't get a third term the president could say forget party loyalty I am going to leave my mark. But I suppose this shut down shows even the president can't do anything he likes when his biggest achievement in 2 terms can be stripped away like that just because the other side don't like it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It's not the president that makes law, it's congress& senate. He can instruct his party to do so but they may well say "just cos you aint getting re-elected doesnt mean we're not" and that's why nothing ever changes :)

rynnor

Rockhound
The only certainty is that we will go through this crap again next year.

Poag

m00?
Next year? Ok January is next year..but its only 3 months away!

The passed law only pushed back the problem...didn't settle it for now. I expect the same brinkmanship in 3 months tbh.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Next year? Ok January is next year..but its only 3 months away!

The passed law only pushed back the problem...didn't settle it for now. I expect the same brinkmanship in 3 months tbh.

Its a worry, but a schism in the Republican Party is looking more likely at the moment; a lot of the more centrist (read, not batshit insane) Republicans are trying to distance themselves from the Tea Party lunatics; which might mean the GOP has other things to worry about.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
The problem is, with the way many politicians have legally gerrymanderd their districts, there is no incentive to move towards the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom