Multiple partitions and Page file...

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Im using 2 hard drives currently. One HDD split in two partitions, one with Windows, and other for storing / games. And the other HDD is for storing stuff on. Whic of the three partitions/drives should i put the page file on for best performance ?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Erm. The one that's least active when doing whatever you want to be fastest?

Example:
I have 4 HDDs:
1. Windows.
2. Games
3. Data
4. Data

Got two page files, one on 3 and one on 4. They're kept at < 50% full and defragmented. They are also on their own channels, the idea being that if I'm in windows and doing stuff the pagefile access has it's own data channel so won't be slowed. also when in games any game data loading into memory won't be slowed by reading and writing onto same disk.

tbh I have no idea if it makes any really noticable difference.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
I'd put it on the same drive at the Windows install because splitting the OS and the pagefile can get you into trouble. If the disk with the pagefile on it fails (or if you're like my former boss, you put the pagefile on a removable drive, and forget to bring it into work... :twak: ), you may end up with an unbootable system, which is otherwise fine.

Hopefully, you've plenty of memory and aren't running too many things at once so won't be paging much to disk anyway...

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
dysfunction said:
The one with windows on

It can be useful to creat a separate fat32 partition for the pagefile on the same drive as windows. Useful to keep defragging to a minimum. Although with most system tasks it shouldn't make that much of a difference unless you are doing something particually memory heavy, having it on the primary partition shouldnt effect you that much.

As for defragging, i've only ever needed to defrag a pagefile once and that was on a SQL server, never needed it on a desktop. Probably better integrated since MS bought Sysinternals.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/PageDefrag.mspx

Vae

Resident Freddy
Personally I've got a 3Gb partition of my main drive (a raptor) partitioned and used only for the page file. I think part of the theory was that windows therefore knows exactly where to find the page file which slightly speeds things up and also no defragging etc needed.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Got 3 hdd´s installed now. So i formated one and installed windows on it. But i got a problem ever since i installed the new Samsung 320gb disk. I need to have the Windows Xp pro sp2 cd in my drive, else it says Disk boot failiure, please insert your blablalba windows cd or whatever in the cdrom drive. When i insert it, it checks the cdrom as usual, and then boots into windows.

Few hours ago i had to reformat because it just auto booted on the windows setup cd, even tho i didn´t press a button. And if i removed the cdrom completely, it just keep checking for a cd and telling me Disk boot failure.

Im afraid if i reboot it fcks up completely and i need to reformat again. 3:rd time today.

G

dont use a pagefile, get lots of uber fast memory, you knows it.........

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have my page file on my media disk so a fast disk that dose not get accessed alot perfect way imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom