multi core support

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
just wondering im upgrading my pc end of the month am getting a quad core 6600 they so cheap be silly not to is warhammer gonna have support for dual and quad core cpu's and what about sli? alot of games are starting to take advantage of this kinda of pc setup just wondering if there will be options in war to allow it?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I dont see the point of SLI unless you have 2 of the best GFX cards out. You may as well just buy 1 top of the range card.

Having 2 cards running SLI does not double performace (not that you said that), however alot of people think it will.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ye i agree m8 sli isnt worth it but alot of ppl do use it and its going to get refined eventually to be practical just wondering if ea mythic are planning ahead to utilise such features.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Last official word on the matter I can remember was NO, no multicore support. But that was way back in oct/nov.

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
Chipper i am doing much the same thing, although persoanlly i am tring to make myself wait longer to be closer to WAR release so maybe i can get more for my money then maybe. (IE top of range graphics cards drop a £ or two) but with that said i am tempted to get it all now so i can upgrade and play AoC till WAR is out.... so many choices....

have not bothered going for SLI as you are getting so much power in single cards now anyways with multi chips etc already built in. 790 mobo boards, and as you say, hopefully support for mutli core processors. This time round though i will make sure i get a "main hdd" which will run at 10,000rpm for smoother/faster loading of things like in game maps, or probably find ToK will be improved too as that might become a "large file" on your drive as the game builds up.

where you buying your bits and pieces from btw ? i mainly been looking at scan.co.uk

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i got case hd psu and a new dvd writer from micro direct heard bad things about em but i cant complain at all was smooth ordering and delivered in 2days

am looking at overclockers for my mobo cpu ram and gfx card really good price for a 8800GTX atm on there and the bundle i want from there is pretty reasonable too

Intel Core 2 Quad LGA775 Q6600 2.40GHz Retail / Gigabyte P35C_DS3R / 2GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PV-T80F-SHE9)

am building mine up now cos ive got aoc comin want to make sure i got a good rig for it

didnt think about getting a high speed HD might put it on ma list :)

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
i got case hd psu and a new dvd writer from micro direct heard bad things about em but i cant complain at all was smooth ordering and delivered in 2days

am looking at overclockers for my mobo cpu ram and gfx card really good price for a 8800GTX atm on there and the bundle i want from there is pretty reasonable too

Intel Core 2 Quad LGA775 Q6600 2.40GHz Retail / Gigabyte P35C_DS3R / 2GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 DDR2 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle
XFX GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PV-T80F-SHE9)

am building mine up now cos ive got aoc comin want to make sure i got a good rig for it

didnt think about getting a high speed HD might put it on ma list :)

Not sure if GTX is worth getting now... I have it at home and its great, but i also have 8800GT 512 at work and its only about 10-15% less performance on same display (22" widescreen). I`d get 8800GTS 512 if i were you. :)

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
... This time round though i will make sure i get a "main hdd" which will run at 10,000rpm for smoother/faster loading of things like in game maps...

Buy a "solid state" disc for your \WAR - directory imo! 10k HDs are so 90's ;)

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
I built my mate a PC about a month or so ago, checked Ebuyer, Overclockers (which I live about 10 minutes away from) and computer hardware, components, systems and peripherals at the lowest prices from IT supplier Aria Technology...... to my suprise Aria came out on top by quite a few quid. So I'd give them a look in!

I'll be building myself a new one soon aswell however I'm waiting a while.... apart from WAR the only thing I'm looking forward to is Fallout 3 which is out in June I think so I'll build myself one just before then!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure if GTX is worth getting now... I have it at home and its great, but i also have 8800GT 512 at work and its only about 10-15% less performance on same display (22" widescreen). I`d get 8800GTS 512 if i were you. :)
I agree with this.

I have a 8800GTX 768 MB in my comp - my wife's got a 8800 GTS 320 MB (same brand on both cards).
The difference in performance is slim to say the least on a 22" wide screen running at 1680x1050. (maximum/optimal resolution for that screen).

Not at all worth the difference in price - in my opinion - unless you run at a higher resolution (incl. dual monitor setups)

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 8800GTX 768 MB in my comp - my wife's got a 8800 GTS 320 MB (same brand on both cards).
The difference in performance is slim to say the least on a 22" wide screen running at 1680x1050. (maximum/optimal resolution for that screen).

New 8800GTS 512 is based on G92 chip and actually as powerfull as 8800GTX wich is actually G80. 8800GTS 640 and 320 both are G80 too, sometimes people can get really confused with those. :)

Belsameth

Tainted
On higher resolutions the 8800GTX still wins tho. Even with it's older chip, it has more bandwith availible on card and more memory which make it, together with the Ultra, still the fastest single chip card.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ok so am bloody torn now thxs to you am looking to spend no more than 200 quid on a gfx card tbh 8800gtx still looks like the best option but also considering a 9800 gtx

Belsameth

Tainted
Even tho I have 2 8800GTXes in SLI it is true that if you take budget into account the 9800GT or even the 8800GT are better options when comparing price to performence...

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
Buy a "solid state" disc for your \WAR - directory imo! 10k HDs are so 90's ;)

I did notice these drives, but i thought these were just about being "mobile" ? didnt think they were any faster ? maybe i go read into them in a min :confused:

edit : oops mistaking solid state with SAS drives that i noticed on scan website other day, like 15k rpm

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
wow nice idea but they aint bloody cheap are they

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
wow nice idea but they aint bloody cheap are they

hehe the SSD drives are very expensive, even more so when u consider 64GB is the only real option if you plan to setup a vista machine which takes up a stupid amount of space on its own, (recommended 20GB, 15GB free space as the minimum requirement) u could get away with the 32GB but thats still alot of money, depends on how many games u going to install on that drive.

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
When playing u dont need the OS on a SSD. As I said, one simple disk for your /WAR - directory only :) 99,99% of the IO-operations while gaming is to the WAR-directory. The OS is mostly idling in the background.

PS: asuming u have enough physical memory to avoid the OS memory-swaping to disk :)

So...

c:\ normal SATA disk (OS)
d:\ normal SATA disk (movies, other games, mp3s and stuff)
e:\ SSD for your WAR directory only (16-32GB should be enough I guess?!)

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
When playing u dont need the OS on a SSD. As I said, one simple disk for your /WAR - directory only :) 99,99% of the IO-operations while gaming is to the WAR-directory. The OS is mostly idling in the background.

PS: asuming u have enough physical memory to avoid the OS memory-swaping to disk :)

So...

c:\ normal SATA disk (OS)
d:\ normal SATA disk (movies, other games, mp3s and stuff)
e:\ SSD for your WAR directory only (16-32GB should be enough I guess?!)

ah i see, sorry not so up-to-date/technical these days. i am also guessing another option would also be to just get windows to put the swap file on the SSD to ? so even if the system/game was going to make use of it, you have fast access.
Its all very expensive though :(

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
ah i see, sorry not so up-to-date/technical these days. i am also guessing another option would also be to just get windows to put the swap file on the SSD to ? so even if the system/game was going to make use of it, you have fast access.
Its all very expensive though :(

Isn't 2x 10k raptors in a raid 0 cheaper, faster and more stable then this SSD thingy ?

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
Isn't 2x 10k raptors in a raid 0 cheaper, faster and more stable then this SSD thingy ?

Cheaper? Yes
Faster? Yes...faster if reading one continous file (nonfragmented)
More stable? no way....clasic HDs is the last mechanical core component in a PC nowadays (excluding DVDs and so on) its the most unstable and crucial part regarding dataloss. How many of you have had a HD crash? :p

The nice thing about SSD is the seektime, raptor drives have 8,5ms seektime a SSD drive has <1ms. Thats ~nine times faster then a raptor drive.
Take DAoC i.e, 30000++ files in a file directory structure. Seektime is the botleneck for RvR performance. Thats where SSD >>> Raptors in Raid >>> Single raptors >>> Clasic SATA drives.
I expect WAR to be a bit more "intelligent" in that matter, gathering all the gamedata in a local database for higher performance (i hope), but still seektime is crucial when it comes to RvR play.
RvR is a scenario where its imposible to "cache everyting" in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom