MSN Audio

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
How the hell do you use the audio on MS Messenger?

Do you invite someone then when it joins just speak? Mine dont seem to work :( I have set it all up and sometimes it just keeps connecting to my mate :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Darthshearer

I've never really used the audio option myself, but if your search for 'audio' on this MSN Messenger Help Page (also accessible via 'Help' > 'Help Topics' from messenger) it should detail the basics of how to get everything working.

Kind Regards

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers Jonty :)

I have managed to connect to Kamelion with no probs at all. But that is when he gives me the invitation. When I send him on we have problems :eek7:

Its the same with me my accept it will just keep saying connect when I send him an invitaion or visa versa.

I am going to try it tonight when I get home ,with both firewalls disabled.

Thanks again Jonty

/m bows to the feet of Jonty

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Give over, house rules, no bowing :p

Anyway, be sure to let us all know how you get on. Given that extra information your trouble may be related to your connection, but that's pretty much a stab in the dark. Perhaps others board members will be able to shed light on matters.

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I went to a family gathering and we were discussing using video/audio over the internet as my brother-in-law's daughter is going on a world tour and would like to use it to send messages back home. A few of us swapped .NET Passport addresses and I set up Windows Messenger on my brother-in-law's PC.

Thus, I was trying both audio and video stuff the other night, between my brother-in-law and myself, then another relative stepped in, and we tried between them and my brother-in-law.

Get this; I was using Remote Assistance to my brother-in-law's machine, and he was in a two-way video conference using Windows Messenger to the other relation ! This was working fine, but when I tried a video or audio connection to my brother-in-law, and then to the other relation, and then to another friend later on that night, none of it would work.

I think I just have a dodgy webcam, it's actually a digital camera being used as a webcam, and its a pretty crap one, I suspect this is at fault as everyone else seemed to work and the connections were fine regarding the firewall as I could initiate Remote Assistance.

Another point was I was using MSN Messenger 6.1 whereas everyone else was using Windows Messenger 4.7. You might want to de-install MSN Messenger and revert back to Windows Messenger (as built in to Windows, but you need to use the Update to get it to 4.7).

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
MSN messenger 6.1 is more advanced that windows messenger and actually has more functionality, but it doesnt seem to be back compatible in that way. As wm4.7 doesnt have the functions required it just ignores 6.1

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

That's a point worth mentioning, that MSN Messenger 6.1 may well be incompatible with older versions of both MSN and Windows Messenger. Also, those who have forcefully removed Windows Messenger (not just used Microsoft's ways of hiding it) may encounter trouble in some instances too. Do you know if both you and your friends are using the same version of Messenger, Darthshearer? Also, have you run the audio configuration utility in messenger?

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
MSN messenger 6.1 is more advanced that windows messenger and actually has more functionality,

I am trying to see this.

Both are driven by .NET Passport and can use Video and Audio, Whiteboard, and Remote Assistance. So what big thing does MSN Messenger have over the regular one ?

I think you'll find MSN Messenger appears in the Add/Remove Programs and can be de-installed, I've certainly managed to go back to it at one point. But whether you use it or not, you must upgrade Windows Messenger to version 4.7 as it will continue to be used internally.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi xane

Windows Messenger 4.x is being discontinued by Microsoft. v5.x of the software is now intended for business users only. Home users are thus being encouraged to upgrade to MSN Messenger.

MSN Messenger has various added functionality over Windows Messenger. Off the top of my head ...

• Custom emoticons (make your own smilies), window backgrounds and display pictures (avatars) - all of which can be shared
  • Enchanced file and photo sharing and audio/video capabilities
  • XML message logging/history
  • Application sharing, whiteboard, remote assistance and 3° functionality
  • Integrated Flash-based games
And the list goes on :) Some of that can be found in Windows Messenger, of course, but MSN is a big step forwards (MSN can require Windows Messenger be installed for some of the functionality).

Just generally, as for installing and uninstalling, MSN Messenger can be treated like any other program. Windows Messenger, outmoded as it is, is however more integrated. The option in the Add/Remove control panel just removes the links from the Start Menu but keeps the program itself intact so other programs, like MSN Messenger, can utilise it if needs be. Those who forcefully remove Windows Messenger (not just use the Add/Remove option or regedit hack to hide it) may thus encounter some trouble.

Kind Regards

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Another consideration is regarding the network connection/firewall setup. If you use a router to connect to the net you may well be using Network Address Translation (NAT) whereby your IP address is not visible to other computers on the internet. I know that versions of msn messenger prior to 6.1 had issues with NAT setups but I haven't tried with the very latest. There are applications available which are able to provide a workaround for this issue (names escape me though).

Alternative solutions may be to use TeamSpeak or Roger Wilco instead. Good luck either way.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry, I meant to say MSN Messenger is in the Add/Remove Programs and can be fully deinstalled, whereas Windows Messenger is in the Add/Remove Windows Components and never gets deinstalled but you can remove it from the Start Menu.

There are also scripts to prevent WM from running when you run Outlook Express and go to certain websites (like Hotmail).

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
There were some protocol based changes to MSN6 as well. Fucntionality such as File Sharing will now function over NAT networks, which in 4.x is did not.

It's NAT that I want to focus on. Are you behind it? If so, Audio and Video in MSN6 need Universal Plug and Play to work over NAT. This means both enabling it on your system if it's been disabled (bear in mind that the initial security holes have been patched) and having a router that supports it. A Linux box can and will do it (it was one of the new features in Smoothwall 2, for instance).

I hope that that's the only problem facing you, and that you have sufficient set up to work through it.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Shovel said:
There were some protocol based changes to MSN6 as well. Fucntionality such as File Sharing will now function over NAT networks, which in 4.x is did not.

It's NAT that I want to focus on. Are you behind it? If so, Audio and Video in MSN6 need Universal Plug and Play to work over NAT. This means both enabling it on your system if it's been disabled (bear in mind that the initial security holes have been patched) and having a router that supports it. A Linux box can and will do it (it was one of the new features in Smoothwall 2, for instance).

I hope that that's the only problem facing you, and that you have sufficient set up to work through it.

I agree with all the above....upnp is the way to go, or failing that DMZ. There are indeed version conflict problems as well...I've had all this crap, so much so, I upgraded my windows to xp (windows messenger) so I could connect.

Sadly there is no hard/fast rule. With MSN messenger for peering & netmeeting (cant remember the version), I could happily connect either way from behind NAT (xp side) - but only one way Windows 2000 (windows messenger) > xp (windows messenger). I have never been able to connect to the inlaws xp (windows messenger - they dont have NAT)...its a colossal pain...if you can connect one way...be greatful & praise Mr Gates for his vision of connectivity :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom