Moving to Croydon

G

Some stupid person has just offered me alot of cash to move to Croydon and work there, does anyone have any ideas how much the houses are to rent and what type of area it is.

Brooky

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
From Leeds to croydon.... well its scary to say but that might actually be a good thing! Watch out for the trams!

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Deebs currently lives in this area. This could be a good or a bad point depening on sexual preferences.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Depends what part of Croydon you're moving to too, there's some nice houses there... Most of it is a dump though.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not the greatest area in the world. Not hugely nice, but not a massive shithole or anything. There's a lot worse. :)

As long as you don't plan to enjoy the nightlife there, you'll be fine. Go elsewhere for nightlife (central london is uber close + easy by train from there).

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
I've spent far too much time in Croydon!! Nestle, Direct Line (where I worked with Deebs, Mikeybear, Ted and others for my sins!) and too many good nights out. My thoughts are:

West Croydon is to be avoided at ALL costs, it's miserable and full of scum. That is, full of scum unless anyone on here lives there in which case I accept there's exceptions.... West Croydon is where their main A&E hospital is (Mayday) - It's there for a reason :touch:

East and South Croydon have some nice areas depending on what you are looking for, there's a lot of development (for example Deebs has a lovely place over that way) and rent is circa £7-800 for something NICE. Liveable property is available for £600 up but the higher figures will get you a decent new-build or large victorian flat. Houses start at £900 for anything of a decent size.

Just out of Croydon (20minute commute by car/tram) you have areas such as Shirley, West Wickham, Beckenham, Bromley (can be nearer 30mins at bad traffic times but I lived there until recently so wanted to mention it!). All of those areas are nice in a suburbia way, Bromley is VERY nice but you pay for it (2 bed flat would cost £200k+ to buy)

Going out, eating, drinking, cinema, etc., all very well catered for and London is a short 10 minute ride on a choo choo puff.

Croydon is seriously derised by others but it really has something for everyone (I especially like the new bars that have turned up around the "grants" development).

The only downside in my opinion is the scrotes. There's a fair share drawn in by the more than plentiful supply of scantily clad loose women and as a result shaven heads and ben sherman shirts feature heavily in areas. Great thing is that Croydon caters for these in it's own way and they tend to sod off to places like "Brannigans" for cheap beer and slobber - leaving the decent bars and enjoyable surroundings for the rest of us.

Hope that helps!

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
You're going to love Croydon, heh. Take it from me, the nightlife is great. The crime, street gangs and ... other bad things are not.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Dubbs said:
West Wickham,

My cousin lives in West Wickham, that place is virtually out in the sticks, very nice area. She makes up for it by being a teacher in one of the worst schools in Lambeth.

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Xane - W.Wickham is really close to Croydon - no more than 10 minutes.

It's funny what people regard as "the sticks" I've lived in Sidcup, Bromley and then Sidcup again... all at some point have been described as "the sticks" to me. Personally I call anything outside of a London Borough as sticks. Some I know still think of Lewisham and Deptford as it!!!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nothing wrong with Croydon. Crime wise I am sure you get more violence in Leeds.

Night life can get boring, but London is a short trip away. Living in Croydon could mean living in any one of the sorrounding boroughs. There is a lot of choice.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will said:
Ch3tan and Mystic_G are also Croydon lads.
Ssssshhhhhh, Thornton Heath ffs, most people don't know that it's a part of croydon (cos they don't care)

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
West Wickham is the land that time couldnt be arsed with, and is where old people go to die. It has all the appeal of a dog turd on a golf course, but only half the nightlife.
Avoid.
Croydon is where to go for a stabbing if you cant afford Liverpool. It was bombed flat in the war and lovingly recreated in steel reinforced concrete slabs in the 50's and 60's and longs for the Luftwaffes return. It has the Whitgift shopping centre that is crowded beyond belief on slow days, many people promenading in their shell suits and showing their lambert & butlers off to the masses.
I live in Beckenham which has outrageously rich people lving in big houses in some parts, and the rest is thousand of flats... mile after mile of blocks of flats in fact, for the riff raff like me.
Beckenham has a LOT of pubs and restaraunts and was the first town in the UK to be completely covered by public CCTV. Its there for a reason.

Civic pride, I've heard of it.

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:
Ssssshhhhhh, Thornton Heath ffs, most people don't know that it's a part of croydon (cos they don't care)

If I lived in Thornton Heath I'd tell people it's Croydon to go UP the social pecking order!!! ;)

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
TedTheDog said:
West Wickham is the land that time couldnt be arsed with, and is where old people go to die. It has all the appeal of a dog turd on a golf course, but only half the nightlife.
Avoid.
Croydon is where to go for a stabbing if you cant afford Liverpool. It was bombed flat in the war and lovingly recreated in steel reinforced concrete slabs in the 50's and 60's and longs for the Luftwaffes return. It has the Whitgift shopping centre that is crowded beyond belief on slow days, many people promenading in their shell suits and showing their lambert & butlers off to the masses.
I live in Beckenham which has outrageously rich people lving in big houses in some parts, and the rest is thousand of flats... mile after mile of blocks of flats in fact, for the riff raff like me.
Beckenham has a LOT of pubs and restaraunts and was the first town in the UK to be completely covered by public CCTV. Its there for a reason.

Civic pride, I've heard of it.

Only 2 types of people live in Beckenham. The first are those that can't afford Bromley - the second are those that are moving up in the world from Croydon. ;)

Hi Ted.

P.S Now living in Sidcup which is as suburbia as it gets! It's full of South London criminals who moved there from the East End in the 70s and there seems to be rather too many builders driving round in Mitsibushi Trucks (I think they're the sons of the crims!). It suits me well as most of my friends are living around the area but have to say it's not a pretty site by any means!

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
Personally, Croydons nightlife suits me. Living there ... well ... just don't.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dubbs said:
If I lived in Thornton Heath I'd tell people it's Croydon to go UP the social pecking order!!! ;)
No way, we've got that "crazy" thing going on, which is way better than just plain old "it moves, it gets stabbed" thing croydon has.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Careful, Croydon bashing I can handle, just dont diss the heath!

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Well you know what they say... even muggers, murderers, thieves and scum don't shit on their own doorstep. All the crims of Croydon have to live somewhere don't they.

Wanna guess where? (Give you a clue, it rhymes with jis-filled sheath)

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom