Moving to another country...

russell

FH is my second home
Woke up today with the urge to move to another country. Guess its been a heavy week!

Where can I move to?

Where has nice weather, a more outdoorsey life, a more relaxed, less complicated way of living?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You won't find "less complicated" living abroad unless you actually mean "without access too".

I have lived in France, Germany and Switzerland. There is much nicer weather but doing stuff is always more complicated than doing the same thing in the UK.

rynnor

Rockhound
Spain/Portugal/Italy - if you can get a job the property is currently cheap - nice lifestyle good food etc.

Southern France is also a possibility - in all of these places beware that they do not have the same settled laws on property and there are many properties that have effectively been illegally built due to zoning laws etc.

If you have kids there are other advantages of moving to another Euro country - if they pick up a second european language they could work in the gravy train that is the EU institutions :)

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
How about Canada? not sure about nicer weather though, I'm actually looking at them myself, A big country with a high standard of living and accepting skilled workers plus economy is in good shape and has a popular Conservative government.

rynnor

Rockhound
How about Canada? not sure about nicer weather though, I'm actually looking at them myself, A big country with a high standard of living and accepting skilled workers plus economy is in good shape and has a popular Conservative government.

It depends on your tolerance for cold and snow/ice - personally this years UK winter was more than enough for me :p

They also have bad work/life balance working enormous hours (much like the US) with few holidays and the job market is not robust.

russell

FH is my second home
My mother lives in the mountains in Valencia and my Dad lives in Gozo, Malta.

I like the idea of somewhere like New Zealand, but in reality it is quite extremely too too far away.

Just after a better quality of life for my kids where they can be outside and enjoy nature.

Maybe I just need a holiday :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Finland finland! :lol:

Teach them kids the meaning of PAAAAAIN!...i mean...cold :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
Woke up today with the urge to move to another country. Guess its been a heavy week!

Where can I move to?

Where has nice weather, a more outdoorsey life, a more relaxed, less complicated way of living?

Malta. "best climate in the EU".

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
New Zealand. It's awesome there.

Uara

Part of the furniture
If i moved to New Zealand I think i'd start hummin the LotR music all the time!

rynnor

Rockhound
My sister moved there - it sucks!

Bad job market - low wages - high cost of living etc. etc.

Medical/Dental is very expensive proportionate to what they are paid - particularly if you have kids.

Rural living (and outside of a few cities you will be rural) looks quaint but is very isolating and services are poor - many people home school their kids due to lack of school availability.

The schools system is tilted in favour of sport rather than academic study - thats great for your sporty kids but the academic ones wont be encouraged the same as in the UK - the focus is sport.

Plus my sisters kids encountered a fair bit of anti-english sentiment out there - go for a holiday but I wouldnt live there.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
they wouldn't have let me in last time I checked anyways. still, I partially agree with the points presented against. Tbh, Australia would be a better market if you want to go down that corner of the world.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Tbh, Australia would be a better market if you want to go down that corner of the world.

Problem is, apart from weather and nice surrounds, the country is too young to be interesting :|

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...and Australia is more rules-obsessed and nearly as police-statey as the UK. And everything's trying to kill you.

Bottom line? Get rich, then everywhere is wonderful...

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Australia! My times in Adelaide where some of the best in my life and i miss it so much!

A nice easy going life, and it did not seem too rules obsessed to me

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Australia! My times in Adelaide where some of the best in my life and i miss it so much!

The country that first worked out how to make money out of speed cameras, the country that seriously debated wearing crash helmets inside cars, the country that is trying to implement a draconian "firewall" nearly as bad as China's, the country where the UK gets most of its Health & Safety ideas from, the country where a bus driver will stop the bus if he sees you've taken your seatbelt off to sleep on a 24 hour bus ride (that actually happened on a trip I was on).

Never mind the fact that climate change is wrecking the place...

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Not to piss on your bonfire or anything but moving to another country isn't a decision which should be made on waking up / impulse.

Don't get me wrong I live in a magical city in a pleasant country but the move is traumatic, can be very lonely for the first few months and you suddenly realise how far away you are from friends and family even if you didn't see them much before you left....

I applaud your adventurous spirit but really think hard before you make that decision...

Sar

Part of the furniture
Take a 2 week holiday.

If you still feel the same make the decision THEN. Not just because you fancy getting away somewhere NOW.

Unless you've killed someone and need offside sharpish, in which case Peru ;)

leviathane

Part of the furniture
heh once i get a bit of cash under my belt after uni, i'm heading either France, Canada or back home to oz.

russell

FH is my second home
I know you are right Yoni. I think I just get itchy feet as I have moved around alot in my life and now lived in the same village for 10 years. Mr Russell would hate to move and I do love being near my friends and family....I just cant shake the feeling that we only get one life ...you know?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I know you are right Yoni. I think I just get itchy feet as I have moved around alot in my life and now lived in the same village for 10 years. Mr Russell would hate to move and I do love being near my friends and family....I just cant shake the feeling that we only get one life ...you know?

You can see the world without having to move there. If you can get the time off you can travel quite cheaply.

russell

FH is my second home
1 can travel cheap, but 5 not so cheap (I have 3 small kiddlies and a hubby). You are right tho -holiday needed not emigration. Prob just me being a drama queen and wanting a change:)

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Moved countries twice now and planning for a third.

but it depends on where you want to go, within Europe the flight time is so short it only takes me 4.5 hours to get to my parents place from Ireland to Holland off which almost 2 hours in Ireland (shitty public transport)
So I do visit Holland on a regular basis.

I would say moving on a whim doesnt matter that much aslong as !! you dont have kids (unless its an English speaking country caus learning a new language is tough) and you look at the flight time (if staying in Europe)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Shove yer wellies on, throw the kids in the car and go for a good walk around the Look Out in Bracknell Forest!! :kissit:

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, I moved to NZ and haven't looked back (just to balance out rynnor's post).

Haven't experienced any anti-English comments, in fact, the Kiwis are one of the most friendliest bunch of people I've ever met. Yeah, there's being called a 'pom' by my kiwi mates, but that's harmless banter.

Job market, I can't really comment - the nature of the industry I'm in and the way it works in NZ means there's a set 'way' of getting a job.

tbh you'd have to live well out in the sticks to home school your children. There's plenty of buses that go out into these rural communities to pick the children up and take them to school.

While I agree that they do put a big emphasis on sports, not all schools are so heavily biased - you can even do Cambridge IGCSEs in a lot of schools.

Yeah, there are some downsides, but hell, the plus points (for me) far outweigh any downers - I live in a house overlooking the Hauraki Gulf and a number of islands. My experience has been far from 'sucking'.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

There's a difference to Holiday an living. I'd love to live somewhere else and have enough cash to make trips to the UK :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not to piss on your bonfire or anything but moving to another country isn't a decision which should be made on waking up / impulse.

Don't get me wrong I live in a magical city in a pleasant country but the move is traumatic, can be very lonely for the first few months and you suddenly realise how far away you are from friends and family even if you didn't see them much before you left....

I applaud your adventurous spirit but really think hard before you make that decision...

Nah. It's easy. My little brother did it one day - just upped and left for Oz. He said it was the best thing he ever did :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom