Moving HL2, CS:S and Steam to another PC

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
OK, so the bits are on their way, and a new PC is on the horizon, but how exactly do I go about moving the whole of halflife across?

I have done the back files up thing and included everything, but does this automatically include HL2 gamesaves? All CS:S console and keyboard settings?

Will I be able to simply put the DVD I burn into the new PC and install the whole lot in one go? Then connect to steam and off I go?(assuming I know my password that is!)

Sharon is getting the old PC, will I be able to play CS:S from that PC as well? In case of emergency? I would only be playing from one or the other, never both.

Thanks guys

RB

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah it does m8. Though I did it, moved to a new hard drive, and it all failed and I had to download afresh anyway.
Take a deep breath :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks Throddy, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed. Even if I have to download the whole thing again I guess it won't be too bad, (it'll use up a fair bit of my BT cap though :) )

I hope that I will now be getting better than 30fps as well, and will feel more like playing CS again. I'll also be through a particularly busy time at work soon.

RB

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive got a Winchester 64-3500 at the moment, still with my old 9800pro, and with a couple of settings Im gettign 100fps 70% of the time, and it just about never goes below 80fps. Very playable indeed :D

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
So far so good,

Getting way over 100fps a lot of the time, difficult to tell the lowest but I'd say 60fps at a guess.

And that is with everything on, and I'm not even running my card in SLI mode, so it could be even better!

The transfer seemed to work OK, in that all my games made it across. My saved games in HL2 didn't make it though. Is there a file on the old PC that I can just copy and paste to bring these as well?

Cheers

RB

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Should've got the 6800GT :(

The dual chip is fine, and plays very well, but can't support dual monitors in SLI mode. This is a pain.

CS:S is now fun though, I'm loving it.

Where is teh KEA server? I cannae find it.

RB

throdgrain

FH is my second home
We dont play on it, generally I leave the password on for matches. We play on various servers tbh, anywhere we can annoy people :)

Gray

FH is my second home
The backing up from Steam is shite :/

Finally did it all, took ages for it to do, as i was saving CS:S/HL2/CS/DoD when i backed it to the disc, i removed Steam and tried to run the disc...

Kept clicking on the icon and nothing was coming up :/, i went back to the copy it saved on the hard drive, managed to bring up the "Decompressing" shite, but it didnt go anywhere after that :/

Had to re-download it all... Was pissed in the beginning but found it only took about an hour or 2 to get the 4/5gb requested. Whoo.

Still didnt solve the crashing mind :s

Spear

Fledgling Freddie
I formatted my machine reinstalled XP and also had to redownload the whole of HL2 from steam.

Kinda pitiful that it doesn't check if the stuff is already in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom