Moving Folders

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I might be thinking about this all the wrong way around, but is there a way to easily move everything from one folder, one folder down?

Say if I made a whole website in root>mysitefolder and wanted to move the contents of 'mysitefolder' into the root in one easy step, rather than copying all the files one at a time? :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
What kind of program would that work on? With Cute FTP it gets stuck if you try and upload too may folders within folders. :)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
<smug mode>
Got a shell account on the host?

host> cd root/mysitefolder
host> mv * ..

</smug mode>

In an FTP client? Use the rename command to move the files on the server end without transferring them back and forth. Cute FTP should be able to handle that.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If you're doing this via FTP, you could use the tree view (working in ffxp here), select everything in the dir and drag it to the folder you want to move it to:

movefolder.jpg

Unless I'm getting it all the wrong way around as well. :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I think that's the same kind of thing that wyrd_fish meant that would mean doing it all a bit at a time so as not to overload things.

I was more thinking of an instant thing like phlash mentioned with the shell, though I don't know what he's talking about becasue I'm a putz. :)

I had thought about the renaming thing, I could upload a whole website into a folder on the sub-root (?) area of my server, rename the 'public_html' (www or whatever) folder to something else and call me new folder public_html, which would be pretty much instant. The only thing wrong with that is I can't test it till it's already up there, unless I start dabbling with offline browser stuff. I was hoping I could put a site in a folder to test it then move it down one when I've got it working. Actually I was just wondering if it was possible and thought that it must be, if only I knew how. :)

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
you can rename across directories eg;

rename file ../file

..which moves the file up!

Chilly

Balls of steel
shell account is by far the quickest way, since ftp has to do each move individualy with all the handshake nonsense each time and such, with the shell its just mv -r * /foo/ or whatever your dir is called, the -r means it will recurse through sub-directories (if there are any)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. How do I access this shell thing? Do I need a special kind of hosting, will it be on my control panel if I have it? :)

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
No, you'd login using a program such as putty with (probably) your FTP name and password. You'd probably connect to yourdomain.com on port 22.

A lot of hosts don't offer SSH access due to the possible security risks. Probably the best way to find out is your hosts FAQ page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom