Move over ladies

Damini

Part of the furniture
There's a new face in town! Got this game on pre-order, and so (if I manage to get this godforsaken mydoom crap off my brand spanking new PC) I shall be joining your ranks soon. I know absolutely nothing about this game (dyslexia + lots of infomation on websites = dribble down chin) so I'm pretty much going in blind. If anyone has the patience to answer any of the following questions, I'll be much obliged:

Is it class based?

Will I, as the permanent suck fest ever newby that I am in these games, be unable to hang out with higher levels characters, and be forced to roam wastelands, talking to an imaginary cat?

Can you have more than one character per server?

Is there a specific place to go if people who type as if they swopped a keyboard for a motorola mobile make you want to stab things?

Please can someone tell me that not all creatures are colour coded like a bliming electrical plug according to danger?

Talk to me! Interact! Respond! Giv gold! Make way! Tremble before me!

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Roar, it's Damini!

Is it class based?
Err yes!

Will I, as the permanent suck fest ever newby that I am in this games, be unable to hang out with higher levels characters, and be forced to roam wastelands, talking to an imaginary cat?
Yes, but not only can you have a cat, you can have a parrot, a cockroach, and numerous other completely useless friends too! But on a serious note, it's very easy to level, even for you ;)

Can you have more than one character per server?
Yes, you can have 10!

Is there a specific place to go if people who type as if they swopped a keyboard for a motorola mobile make you want to stab things?
/ignore is your friend. And so is /leave 1 (meaning the general spam/noob channel)

Please can someone tell me that not all creatures are colour coded like a bliming electrical plug according to danger?
Err, well there's no blue, but still the old familiar grey, green, yellow and red :)

Talk to me! Interact! Respond! Giv gold! Make way! Tremble before me!

Welcome! :worthy:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Damini said:
Is it class based?

Yes, similar to other RPGs you can choose from tank types, caster types, and hybrid types. Unlike other games the classes do seem to be fairly well balanced and all able to solo effectively(ish). Most classes can be played by either faction, Horde or Alliance (think realm here) though there are a couple that are faction-specific.

Will I, as the perma newby suck fest I always remain in these games, be unable to hang out with higher level characters, and be forced to wander the wastelands alone, roleplaying that I have lost my cat?

This is always going to be a problem in a level-based game, but levelling is quite alot easier than, say, DAOC. Get a decent guild where people may be playing alt characters so there are folks available to help you if you get stuck up a tree looking for Jessie.

Can you have more than one character on each server?

Yes, but I think they must be Horde or Alliance, not a mixture on any given server. You can also make characters on other servers.

Is there a specific place to go if people talking like they swopped their keyboard for a motorola phone makes you want to stab things?

You can join or leave different chat channels so if people are giving it the 'OMFG D00DZ L00K @ ME UB3R PWNZING TH1S L33T DORF!!' shit you can ignore it effectively. Get a decent mature guild, again, for intelligent conversation, or like me, just talk to yourself a while ;)

Can someone please please tell me that all creatures aren't colour coded like some poxey electrical plug according to danger?

They are, but they also come with a handy numbering system so you can see what level they are.

Good Luck!

mank!

Part of the furniture
Hello! Shy explained most of it but with the help of a few friends, I managed to pick up the game in a few hours without having any previous RPG experience and being a thoroughbred n00b to all things intelligent. It's a remarkably easy game to play and once you've got the hang of the basics - which are very basic - you won't have any problem at all.

Some stuff confuses me a bit still, I couldn't work out how to fish or use my blacksmithing skills but never mind :D

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
mank said:
Some stuff confuses me a bit still, I couldn't work out how to fish or use my blacksmithing skills but never mind :D

Press P for your spellbook and drag the little icon onto your quickbar :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
I'm not that stupid, honest. I still couldn't get it to work, although I went fishing once in Orgrimmar and caught some strangely named fish but could never work out how to do it again :]

Damini

Part of the furniture
I don't like colour coding things. I always get people coming up to me and telling me I'm an eejit for attacking things that I shouldn't. I like attacking things I shouldn't. It gives me a sense of well being/strikes me dead. I guess I'm still pining for UO, where you had no idea how badly something was going to ruin you until you decided to headbutt it. I think it's far more fun that way.

I'm no good with guilds really. I'm fairly nomadic, and I am REALLY annoying to hang out with on a semi permanent basis. I will wander off, distracted, in the middle of conversations, and occasionally I will accidentally hit things that perhaps a sane person wouldn't. Whenever I've joined guilds before, it's been in more of a mascot capacity, and I'm strictly NOT to be relied on in a crisis. These qualities make me a bad person to guild with. I'm going into this game incognito anyway, I have a dread fear that I might inadvertently PK a kid that reads my books, then gloat over their corpse, and that would be bad.

mank!

Part of the furniture
You don't have to group up all the time in WoW, even if you're in a guild. I got to level 18 pretty much on my own, but you will have to group up with random Polish people from time to time. I'm useless in a guild as well, just ask Jup!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
mank said:
You don't have to group up all the time in WoW, even if you're in a guild. I got to level 18 pretty much on my own, but you will have to group up with random Polish people from time to time. I'm useless in a guild as well, just ask Jup!

He telleth the truth, forsooth!!!!!

:p ;)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Sounds like you belong with us Damini! We are the Crack Suicide Squad, so named from that famous Monty Python scene. We like to attack things we shouldn't. We like to charge in on mobs we have absolutely no chance of defeating. We like to die, laugh about it and die again trying to get our corpses back!

www.cracksuicidesquad.com

edit: Here's a pic of our little trip to the dark portal. Us level 40, them level 61 elite (uber boss strength).

Clicky!

mank!

Part of the furniture
Gat_Decor said:
i dunno mank, we teamed up pretty good the other night ;)

Only because I generally just twatted stuff and you kept healing me :p

Damini

Part of the furniture
Oh Shy, where were you in my UO days? I once managed to get the two people I was with killed, then myself killed, and then when a friends guild turned up to rescue me, every single one of them died too, and so another friend turned up and had to smuggle me out of a gate. *Sigh* Those were the days!

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
Yes, but I think they must be Horde or Alliance, not a mixture on any given server. You can also make characters on other servers.
I just had to elaborate on this one a little:

You can have up to 10 characters per server, and up to 50 in total. If your 10 characters exist on a Normal server (I'm guessing Roleplaying servers as well) they can belong to both Horde and Alliance. However; on the PvP servers you can only have characters belonging to one faction.

Good luck and have fun Damini :)

Syri

FH is my second home
Damini said:
the colour coding doesn't stand out quite as much as daoc, but it does give the actual level number of the creatures. anything that's loads higher though has ?? as it's level, so if you just stick with those, you'll be fine ;)

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Syri said:
the colour coding doesn't stand out quite as much as daoc, but it does give the actual level number of the creatures. anything that's loads higher though has ?? as it's level, so if you just stick with those, you'll be fine ;)

There are mods that can tell you what level those lovely ?? mobs are, which is quite fun!

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Hey Damini - had a feeling you might end up playing WoW. Feel free to pester me on irc (and you are, of course, welcome in Feast For Crows). :cheers:

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
The death penalty is very small in WoW - basically just run back to your body so dying isn't a huge deal compared to many games. I have a habit of fumbling my keys and blinking (blink is a short range teleport) into lots of nasty stuff which then rips the group apart. ;)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
The death penalty is very small in WoW - basically just run back to your body so dying isn't a huge deal compared to many games. I have a habit of fumbling my keys and blinking (blink is a short range teleport) into lots of nasty stuff which then rips the group apart. ;)
There is also a small monetary penalty as all equipment worn and/or in your backpacks take a durability hit. Even if you choose not to repair the items, the merchants will pay less for those items. (the amount it would cost to repair them)

Durability doesn't affect stats on items unless they hit 0 durability, which will make the item function as if it wasn't equipped. Items with 0 durability doesn't disappear, but you would have to repair them in order to get any benefits from them.

What else? Item binding. Basically, some items can't be given/sold to other players as they are bound to your soul. For some odd reason you can still sell them to merchants in order to get some monetary value back from them when you're done. (you can also disenchant them if you're an enchanter, but that's beyond the scope of this post).

The reason for item binding is probably to control the economy of the game. Once such items are used, they're out of the economy.

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Just allways walk around drinking, then mobs lvl's will be wrong and when you infact belive you are attacked some lvl 12 cat it could infact be 22 ^^

Just that its pretty exspensive being drunk all the time, but im sure you can get a few sponsors :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
Damini: Sponsored Drunk. It has a distinguished air about it, don't you think?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
ooooo I am glad you are playing to Damini \o/

The game is very easy to pick up and relitively easy to solo in regardless of class. As for trying to hit something out of your league the quests kinda lead you though the zones so you will never actually be playing too far from your level which should be able to solo mobs 3 levels above you without too much trouble and if you are in a group higher than that. There are the occasional lvl?? NPC's which roam your home land and gank you on the road but its all good fun.

If you want a fun bunch of people to play with you are very welcome to join BarrysSquad Ps players just let me know :)

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Yay Damini.

I too was a big UO player. Loved it. There was always the danger of very bad things happening or getting PKed while just as you forked out for that keep and you had the deed on you as you were placing it (still haunts me).

I was hooked on the beta I will be playing the game come friday/saturday. It really is very easy to play I've tried a few MMORPG's since my UO days and I've never stuck with any of them up until WoW.

Let me know what server you're going on and I'll let you get me into trouble :p. I'm not really bothered about leveling up really quick I prefer just to have fun. ( I went on a two man raid into enemy lands at level 8 - that was a laugh!).

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Level one's raiding RageFire Chasm is pretty fun too :)

Very pleased to see both Mank and the lovely Damini will be playing!

mank!

Part of the furniture
I went into Ragefire Chasm on my own as a level 15, took on the first thing I saw and it was a level 16 elite snake. It twatted me :D

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
It's a shame that many of the Freddys lot have elected to play Horde. They're just so ugly and not fun to play and you have to run around in a desert the vast majority of the time unless you venture into the elven forests just north of the barrens.

Elves, Gnomes, Dwarves and Humans are just so much more entertaining and the areas in which you adventure far more picturesque. If they insist on playing Horde I'll probably have to join them but it'd be against my better judgement :(

Ziva

Fluffy
Nice to read you will be playing WoW too Damini. I hope you will enjoy it :)

One more thing about the color codes. Some mobs have the word "elite" attached to it. This means you are supposed to fight them beeing grouped but reading your desire to attack mobs tha't you aren't supposed to fight i think they will make a nice challenge for you when solo :D

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Colors in WoW is easy;
Red - Attacks you whenever you like it or not...
Yellow - ignores you unless you pester it...
Gray - either "tagged" by someone else (you wont get squat from killing it, except maybe a angry tell) or to low level for you to gain exp (you still get items tho)...
Green - "but these are my friends!" - Princess Leia, Starwars - The return of the Jedi...

When it comes to levels its quite easy... a monster two levels higher or two levels lower then you gives good exp and is somewhat safe to kill. This is ofc depending on what type of mob it is, and how good your spells/skills/items is.

Umm... feels like i forgot something...

Aada

Part of the furniture
Nice my post about who started this pointless thread got deleted what a suprise its a mod that started the thread.. like i said go to the WoW site.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
A mod started this thread? I thought Damini did.. (though maybe she is moderately mad)

Whilst the WoW site may give some of the information she requested, it can't tell her whether it thinks it will be her sort of game, if it thinks she will enjoy it, what kind of server she should play on or what guilds/groups/people will be playing.. which is more what Damini was asking I believe. (of course I may be wrong but that is a rarity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom