Mouse/keyboard switch

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Since my lap is standing next to my crt screen and getting sick and tired of always reaching for it, the lap. It is my chat/torrent/movie/music machine. I was thinking if I could get some sort of device that made me switch between the 2 computers. But just with one set of mouse/keyboard. Both usb.

Take care.

dex

Fledgling Freddie
if both lap and pc are on a router ya can use software a prog i think called synergy i used to have it on mine can use 1 keyboard and mouse for more than 1 pc goes off the side of the screen the mouse pointer and appears on the other screen then use mouse & keyboard on that then pull it back across onto the other 1.. great if using 2nd pc for bb account

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie

Before rushing into buying a very expensive KVM switch double check your requirements.

If your laptop and CRT only have D-Sub VGA inputs or if you want to continue to use two different displays and just switch the keboard/mouse, then a cheap 25quid KVM switch will be more than adequate.

something like;

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11081)Belkin-KVM-Omniview-2port-USB-with-builtin.aspx

If however you want to include monitor switching and both your CRT and laptop use DVI inputs then you will need something a little pricer. Either ones like the previous poster recommends or something alittle cheaper like;

Aten Master View 2 Port USB & DVI KVM Switch, its viewable on the link below;

http://www.kvmswitchdirect.com/acat...ntrolling_2_computers_11.html#a1_21F1DD102UUK

If you do have a look round on your own, one thing to keep in mind is NEVER get a hard switch. Even tho they will be very cheap (circa 10-15 quid) do not be tempted. All these do is internally physically connect and disconnect a switch between two cables, identical to manually switching the cables yourself. Some PCS do not like this at all. I.e if you can't hotplug your mouse and keyboard they will not like this type of KVM at all.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks a lot for the links and stuff mates.

Just one question:

How does it work, like both my usb mouse and keyboard into the device then one usb cable to both the lap and the normal computer?
If that maked any sense at all...

echome

Fledgling Freddie
if both lap and pc are on a router ya can use software a prog i think called synergy i used to have it on mine can use 1 keyboard and mouse for more than 1 pc goes off the side of the screen the mouse pointer and appears on the other screen then use mouse & keyboard on that then pull it back across onto the other 1.. great if using 2nd pc for bb account

Good idea, but would like to be able just to switch - as I could see some problems with playing battlefield2142 and then suddenly in the heat of battle move my mouse over to my laptop hehe

soze

I am a FH squatter
Thanks a lot for the links and stuff mates.

Just one question:

How does it work, like both my usb mouse and keyboard into the device then one usb cable to both the lap and the normal computer?
If that maked any sense at all...

Yep usb mouse and keyboard plug into the box and leads to PC and Laptop then you either press a button on the devices or a key one the keyboard to switch to the other machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom