Mouse help...

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I have a wireless MS Optical Explorer (the bulky thing) and since this morning the mouse pointer keeps freezing for a couple of moments every five minutes or so.

Extremely annoying + plus the thing cost me 75.- Euros and I can't find the warranty slip. :eek:

I tried plugging in the base station into a different USB port, pushed the "reconnect channel" majigger a couple of times - nada. It keeps freezing.

And no - I did't install the IntelliMouse software. Worked fine for two months now.

Running WinXP home
SB51G Shuttle
Radeon 9800 pro/128mb
1 gig Kingston 533
PIV 2.66

Help... and thanks in advance. :)

Edit: one weird thing I just noticed - whenever the mouse pointer freezes, I can "unfreeze" it for a couple of seconds by hitting the left mouse button. What the fook?

Edit no.2: tapping the mouse slightly on my desk unfreezes the pointer, too.. for a couple of seconds...

X

xane

Just as a long-shot, have you got any Creative or HP software (that came with their hardware) installed ?

Just that I fixed someone's PC with the same symptoms and ended up deinstalling the Creative/HP crap to fix it, sorry but I've forgotten which one it was tho.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I have a HP printer (HP psc 2110) hooked up to it - the printer was there before the mouse, though - and both worked well together. Can't really uninstall the printer drivers either. :(

I just tried a system restore, too. Went back two days when the mouse was working fine still - yet nothing has changed. It keeps freezing every couple of seconds.

Also tried uninstalling the mouse. No changes.

T

Tom

Sounds like its broken to me, possibly a cracked PCB or a dry joint. Those things are repairable.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Tom.
Sounds like its broken to me, possibly a cracked PCB or a dry joint. Those things are repairable.

Confirmed... just hooked it up to the missus comp - same problems whilst the missus' mouse is working just fine on mine.

Sh*t...*goes to find the receipt*

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Could the whole issue be WinXP/USB related?

My wife uses a regular IntelliMouse - optical and I had to install/re-install it several times in order to make it work properly (Windows kept announcing that new hardware was found/mouse lock ups etc.).

When I plugged her mouse back in after checking it out on my comp, it kept doing it again - plus the same kind of freeze ups I noticed with my wireless one.

Plugging it into a different USB slot solved the problem.

*uses a whimpy, old 2 button Typhoon optical crap majigger now:(*

Anyone with similar experiences?
Would installing the IntelliMouse drivers help maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom