Mouse Acceleration....Turning It Off?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
A while back a mate showed me how to turn off the mouse acceleration in XP, it involved lots of values that you had to enter, lots of 0s and 1s if I remember correctly. Anyone here know how to do it or can gimme link to somewhere that shows how? Maybe this should be in hardware forum, but I NEED A QUICK ANSWER DAMN IT!:eek:

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Pretty sure if you just install TweakUI it's a single tickbox. Give me a moment and I'll install and check for you matey.

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
No, seems it's been taken out in a recent revision... but I've poached this after a quick google...

It seems that even without pointer precision disabled, the mouse under XP is still influenced by an acceleration curve. This is especially noticeable in games. To completely remove mouse acceleration from XP, you will need to go into the registry and adjust the SmoothmouseXYCurve values. Here is how its done.

1. Click Start button
2. Select Run
3. Type 'regedit' in the open textbox
4. Open the tree 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER', select control panel, then select mouse
5. Right clicking, modify the SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve hexidecimal values to the following:

SmoothMouseXCurve:
00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00

SmoothMouseYCurve:
66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00
cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00
a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00

If done correctly, you will notice you are holding a markedly more responsive mouse.

Trem

I LOVE YOU!! Thanks Xav.

Trem

Trem said:
Maybe this should be in hardware forum, but I NEED A QUICK ANSWER DAMN IT!:eek:

^^^^^^^^^^

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Can I use this acceleration thing as my excuse as to why im crap in games under xp? :D

Trem

It really does make a difference turning it off(in CS anyways), try turning it off, takes some getting used to but it will make you more accurate.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I realy have been shocking in games since win98 and my old logitech pilot serial mouse, maybe this will go to some degree of explaining why! (or i just suck!)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I still managed to kill Trem 3 times in a row on CS last night!

*proud*

:D

Trem

Yes you did, hence your banning from our server:eek:

;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Doesnt this screen change the mouse acceleration in XP?

mouse.jpg

Trem

No Dys, the acceleration is there all the time I think that changes the speed of it, what you want is it to be off ALL the time so you get the true movement........or something.

Athan

Resident Freddy
This appears to be one thing the Logitech Mouseware gets right. Different dialogue, and a quick test showed that the 'off' is actually off, compared to the 'low' I normally have. Oh and it has a "Disable acceleration in games" too :).

-Ath

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
This sounds like a good idea, but will it effect my 'Spank-the-Monkey' games? I need all the acceleration I can get then.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmm, its lovely off :)

This calls for some CS Community spanking on the KEA server. Coming tonight!

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
I dont use XP on my home PC just because of this annoying feature, totally fubars HL gaming :(

Ive tried all sorts but have never seem to get it right. I use a high sencitivity in Halflife (17.5 :eek:). /me sticks to Win2k

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Athan said:
This appears to be one thing the Logitech Mouseware gets right. Different dialogue, and a quick test showed that the 'off' is actually off, compared to the 'low' I normally have. Oh and it has a "Disable acceleration in games" too :).

-Ath

Now I'm confused.
I use Logitech mouseware and acceleration is turned off, but my registry settings look nothing like the earlier post!

Is it on or off?

mouse1.jpg

mouse2.jpg
mouse3.jpg

:eek7:

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
No, seems it's been taken out in a recent revision...

I'll never understand this kind of thing. WHY!? WHY do people making & writing perfectly servicable apps & os's do this kind of thing? What earthly reason could Microsoft have for forcing everyone to use mouse acceleration? There's no logical reason I can think of!

Sure, leave it on by default for the majority of users to have in general windows stuff but why remove the ability of people who specifically want to turn it off to simply check a box and turn it *off* ffs?!

Makes no sense :/

*scratches head*

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
awwww yeah! Its so good when its off, I can actually shoot stuff! just player ut2k4 demo and painkiller demo and spanked the undead hordes and beat the bots quite nicely! thank you thank you thank you!!

Trem

I'm great tbh.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Paradroid said:
Now I'm confused.
I use Logitech mouseware and acceleration is turned off, but my registry settings look nothing like the earlier post!

Is it on or off?

What I did was actually test it.

Hand on mouse, other hand, thumb and fore finger an inch either side of the mouse. Now with accel 'on', move the mouse slowly side to side against your fingers, see where it stops onscreen, make sure you're set up such that there's desktop space still either side on the monitor. Now move it to the middle and then FAST either side, if accel is on the pointer moves more side to side.

Now repeat that with the accel 'None', in my case moving slow or fast resulted in the same amount of mouse pointer movement, ergo no acceleration.

Whether the 'No acceleration in games' works I've not tested yet.

-Ath

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Im yet to try this yet. TBH im sick of installing XP and removing it 30 mins later all because of this one shit problem.

leggy

Probably Scottish
]SK[ said:
Im yet to try this yet. TBH im sick of installing XP and removing it 30 mins later all because of this one shit problem.

Well I've tested that method and can safely say it works after a restart. No need to change all those hex values.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have a logitech radio mouse, its got a little bit of acceleration on it, but nothing so as you'd notice.

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
leggy said:
Well I've tested that method and can safely say it works after a restart. No need to change all those hex values.

Nice, will have to give it a go on my next XP install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom