Motorbike Theory Test?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I need some help here because this is doing my head in.

My mate has his full motorbike licence, hes had it since 1995ish. He wants to take his car test now.

I have a full car licence and I have had this since 1991ish. I want to take my bike test now.

He has been told he doesn't have to do his theory test for car and everything I find on the matter tells me thats wrong. He has rang a place called CBT and they said he has to do his theory he also rang the local DVLA theory test centre and they said he was exempt from the theory test because he had his licence before 1997.

He also asked for me at both places and got the same answers, yes I do have to take my theory and no I don't have to take my theory because I had my licence before 1997.

The DVLA website says if you want to change a class on your licence you have to take the theory test - bike to car = theory test, car to bike = theory test, car to lorry = theory test (I have passed that one).

I can't find any mention of the 1997 thing anywhere.

Does anyone here actually know the carved in stone correct answer to this?

I know throd knows his bikes but I aren't sure he knows about the tests as he passed his while serving in the army in the first world war.

A picture of my favourite pile for anyone who can help.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
I believe that for Car > Motorcycle you need you only need to take a CBT test which is just basic training on motorcycles as (obviously) it's different to the driving experience of a car.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I thought it decided on the engine capacity of the bike? Or was that abolished years ago?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I believe that for Car > Motorcycle you need you only need to take a CBT test which is just basic training on motorcycles as (obviously) it's different to the driving experience of a car.

No, you have to take the CBT and then the full test if you want to ride anything over 125. To take your full test you need to do CBT>Theory Test>Practical. If you pass your CBT you can ride up to 125 (if you have a full car licence), but the CBT is only valid for 3 years.

The only relevance of 1997 (as far as I'm aware) is that that was when the CBT rules came in.

I seem to remember they're changing the rules again this October, but I can't remember where I read it. Was quite recently though.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
cant help, but only thing i would say is; would it not be worth doing anyway? as a refresher and to see it from a different angle ?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I cant remember to be honest, but then I was only a motorcycle dealer for 14 years :(

Never mind, Im sure DaGaffer will know :p

Trem

cant help, but only thing i would say is; would it not be worth doing anyway? as a refresher and to see it from a different angle ?

Yeah you are right and I quite enjoyed the HGV theory test (apart from almost failing on my signature :D ) but its the hazard perception program that winds me up, if you press too early (which imo when driving is a good thing) you get no points and if you press too much you lose points, thats what I don't want to do again.

Cheers for the answers so far luvs.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I can't find any mention of the 1997 thing anywhere.

Does anyone here actually know the carved in stone correct answer to this?

As far as I know the 1997 legislation is only concerned with the CBT (i.e. You don't have to take it to ride up to a 125 @ 11 KW if you had a car licence < 1997). I am pretty sure you would still have to do the theory test to gain a full licence.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah you are right and I quite enjoyed the HGV theory test (apart from almost failing on my signature :D )
Cheers for the answers so far luvs.

You didnt sign your name as Trem did you ? :D

Dukat

Resident Freddy
No, you have to take the CBT and then the full test if you want to ride anything over 125. To take your full test you need to do CBT>Theory Test>Practical. If you pass your CBT you can ride up to 125 (if you have a full car licence), but the CBT is only valid for 3 years.

The only relevance of 1997 (as far as I'm aware) is that that was when the CBT rules came in.

I seem to remember they're changing the rules again this October, but I can't remember where I read it. Was quite recently though.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the badger wielding madman, DaGaffer is right :)

I did my CBT around two years ago, and did my theory last year, I just need to get myself sorted to do the proper test and I'm all sorted.

I have heard that they are making things MUCH more difficult in october, as dagaffer said, everyone know I is rushing to get done before then, I will be too - no one seems to know specifics about this change though, only that its going to be "really bad".

About the hazard perception Trem - I found this hard too - I had one scene where it went past a school, kids playing at the side of the road, I class kids on the road as a hazard so I clicked a couple of times, it said I'd pressed too many times, and because I was "cheating" I scored zero for that one :(

That said, the others where pretty easy.

If I can pass if first time trem you better had :D unless of course you want to be second best to the pikey midget lion-man :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I didnt know the answer Pikey, thats what I said :) I took my test in 1981 ...

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I didnt know the answer Pikey, thats what I said :) I took my test in 1981 ...

Ahhh I guess it would've been a black and white steampowered motorbike back in those days eh? :D I suppose the main hazard wasnt white van drivers in those days, it was those pesky pterodactyls trying to eat you :D

*runs*

Trem

All throd had to do to pass his test was to make sure his flat cap was on straight and that he held out the correct flag when turning a corner.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
All throd had to do to pass his test was to make sure his flat cap was on straight and that he held out the correct flag when turning a corner.

rofl :D and it only took him five attempts! :D

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'd believe what you heard from a human at the DVLA tbh. the rest is unreliable.

Trem

Ok the carved in stone answer is this -

If you passed your bike test before 1997 you do not have to take a theory test to take your car practical test.

If you passed your car test at anytime you still have to do your motorbike theory test no matter what.

So my mate was right about himself and wrong about me.

How annoying is that, bikers don't have to but drivers do :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom