Motherboard

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Looking to upgrade ye old hunk a' shit (tm)

and its either Asus

or Abit

What would you wonders advise?

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I bought the AS8 from Abit twice, it runs fine, and the one your looking at is the next (maybe even 2) chipsets up the line. (the AS8 has the 865 PE chipset)
The Abit box was quite good, I can't exactly remember what came in it, some sata cables and an IDE one, software etc,I can look when I get home. The only problems I had were with the uGuru overclocking software jobbie, I had to download a patch and reinstall a couple of times, but I eventually got it to work (not used it just got the options to come up on the screen).
The monitoring software is quite nice, fan speeds, temperatures, voltages with options to sound alarms for lows and highs.
As for the 3rd eye, I did not go for it, didn't see the point in having something else cluttering up my desk.
This is the one I got
All in all I am happy with it :)

Later

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
I vote for MSI because I've had a couple problems with Asus hardware recently, but never really tried Abit. I like MSI though.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I have an Asus. Nforce chipset, but I don't really like it. The BIOS settings are shit. It works though.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i, on the other hand, am a huge asus fan

you typically get alot of extra gubbins and software, and asus probe's pretty good at monitoring stuf, even draws little graphs and has alarms

my a7n8x also talks to me when it boots :D
it's alot easyer to use than all those beeps and stuff

JBP|

Part of the furniture
i like asus boards myself

first one melted after 2 months (a desidn fault on the P4C800 apperently)

but its replacement has been fine

oh and its gold coloured too

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
I guess everyone is going to have different experiences. Up untill my current mobo Ive always used Abit without any problems. On the otherhand Ive had loads of grief from my current A7N8X deluxe, including having to RMA the first one, then have problems flashing the bios with the current one. Considering this is my first Asus board it has turned me sour on Asus, though there are a lot of good reviews for them. Personally, they will not be my first choice in future, which does not look like a problem since Im looking at a MSI neo 939 board for my next upgrade.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
I have an Asus. Nforce chipset, but I don't really like it. The BIOS settings are shit. It works though.

The BIOS settings are user-inputted. The BIOS options might suck too, but from what I remember the A7N8X was quite a good board in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom