Games Most influential man in the video games industry

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
LOL Steve Jobs? the most influential man in the video game industry? hes done fuck all for the video game industry tho? fucking apple fanboys.

Shit like Farmville and arse games on the Iphone arent video games, not even close to what i'd consider a video game.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Any list of influential people in the games industry shouldn't even have Jobs in it, let alone at the top.

Sid Meier, Will Wright, I would include the likes of Geoff Crammond (who is admittedly not influential on the whole industry but still has more right to be there than Jobs).

It's quite funny that, in the original article, they put the products that the person was responsible for that got them to their position in the top 5:
Code:
The top five people and products from the survey, which was carried out by the London Games Conference (10 November, central London), are below:

Top five people to have shaped video games
(First figures are percentage of overall vote; second are percentage of top five votes)

·        Steve Jobs                                                  26%    46%
·        Gabe Newell  (co-founder and managing director of Valve)    16%    29%
·        Shigeru Miyamoto (developer of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda)    7%    12%
·        Tim Berners-Lee (inventor of the world wide web)             4%    8%
·        Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook)                        3%    5%
It's a badly named list because it has nothing to do with "games" per se, but the platforms that are used to deliver them.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If anyone should be up there it should be figures like Gary Gygax etc, they had the biggest sway and influence for people to start creating such games.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Talk about recentism. Why isn't Rob Hubbard on there?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Considering for most of its life you could play fuck all games on a Mac this seems ridiculous.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Talk about recentism. Why isn't Rob Hubbard on there?

Sanxion eh? Or the Delta Mix-e-Load? Stayed top of the Zzap!64 music charts for fucking aaaaages!

You know that Andrew Braybrook > All, tho :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Andrew Braybrook didn't write the music for Monty on the Run, so he fails.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Andrew Braybrook didn't write the music for Monty on the Run, so he fails.
That was brilliant music. Must go find it now...

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'd probably have been happier with Bobby Kotick being at the top.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'd probably have been happier with Bobby Kotick being at the top.

I wouldnt, Kotick hasnt contributed fuck all either :p if anything hes driven more and more companies to make shit games that are so fucking easy they practically unpack themselves, install themselves and finish themselves.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
o_O

As a game dev, meantioning jobs or facebookenberg in same sentence as "important game folk" i get an itching to bomb some countries.

EDIT: How could i forget this, so stupid. Ofcourse Jobs is influencal, without the dude we probably wouldn't have PC gaming as it is today. I only remembered him as the apple dude, and forgot the work they done back in the day.

Zuckenberg can suck it though.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I wouldnt, Kotick hasnt contributed fuck all either :p if anything hes driven more and more companies to make shit games that are so fucking easy they practically unpack themselves, install themselves and finish themselves.
No one said the influence had to be positive ;)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I seriously can't believe that 260 out of 1000 industry insiders would vote that way. I can only imagine that the 1000 was heavily loaded with iPhone developers. It also sounds like it was to do with influence on *current* gaming, not historically.

The original press release: http://bastion.gamespress.com/link.asp?i=2097&r=7899&r2=5750

The top 5 people only account for 56% of all the votes cast.
Reading the bumph, LGC is heavily biased towards mobile gaming this year.
So that's it folks... the future of gaming is going to be dumbed down twiddly games on phones. Getting the software in front of as many eyes as possible is what it's about. More eyes = more ad impressions = more money.

I don't know about anyone else but I have NEVER EVER clicked an ad on my mobile.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The way you said that reminded me of "The Game" from Star Trek TNG. One of the characters says that it almost plays itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is12anYx2Qs

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Of the 1000 industry insiders, I know precisely 0 people who were asked for their vote.

So I'm not sure who these "insiders" are, my guess is mostly app coders. They haven't asked anyone in the serious sector of the games industry that I know of.

opticle

Part of the furniture
This is a joke.

I extend my previous post in the London 2012 thread to: "Screw this planet. Who wants to start a new planet, Peter Griffin style?"

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
While I think the article is gash, the two key questions asked are:

"most influential person" in the video game industry today

and

the top five products to have shaped the contemporary video game landscape

It isn't about all-time influence, its about the current market, and in that context its hard not argue for Apple (rather than Jobs himself imho) and the iPhone (although I think the Wii should be no.1 personally). I'm actually more annoyed about Zuckerberg being in the top five, since despite Facebook being "his" platform, he had little or nothing to do with the development of games on Facebook (in fact he's publicly acknowledged a debt to the likes of Zynga for creating a games ecosystem on the platform).

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This is a joke.

I extend my previous post in the London 2012 thread to: "Screw this planet. Who wants to start a new planet, Peter Griffin style?"

I've always said that this debt-spiralling overcrowded blue ball needs the reset button set. Perhaps a massive asteroid to wipe out mankind and start from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom