most gruesome thing i seen on tv EVER

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
dunno if anyone saw it on bbc4 earlier this week.. Deadliest Crash..

was about the crash in 1955 at Le Mans, which killed 85 peeps after a car flipped into the crowd and burst into flames... but that didnt do the damage.

what caused most of the deaths was the engine and bonnet that flew into the crowd decapitating peeps left right and centre..

then they showed pictures of the bodies of peeps lined up in the pit lane... no heads... ewww

well worth a watch tho, just to hear about how much the surviving drivers campaigned for and even designed extra safety measures for motor sport and cars in general, but its not for the dicky tummy brigade.

Gray

FH is my second home
BBC iPlayer - The Deadliest Crash: the Le Mans 1955 Disaster

Yeah not a bad watch overall, was unaware this ever happened. The speed that bonet flew into the crowd was astounding.

I didn't notice much gruesomeness in it though, maybe because it was black and white picture and i didn't pause it.

I think the one i recall which was properly gruesome was the Formula One accident where a steward with a fire extinguisher crossed the track, ripping him to pieces and killing the driver he impacted with.

Sadly that doesn't compare to the Russian Airshow crash a couple of years ago, when a plane flew into the crowd. One of the sickest things i've ever seen ;o

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A nice documentary, I don't know who wrote the voiceover script however, as not much attention seems to have been paid to that.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
That crash was the reason why Mercedes coming back to formula one this year was such a big deal. Fangio and Mercedes dominated the early years of formula one (Isn't it only Schumacher who has beaten his number of world championships). Following that crash in 1955 they pulled out of motor racing altogether for a long long time until 1993/1994? when they came back merely as an engine supplier.

It wasn't until this year they finally came back to formula one. It was a tragic accident that ended up destroying so, so many lives, not just those who died.

This may sound quite cold and I don't mean it to in case it does but ultimately, this triggered a chain of events aimed at improving the safety of motor racing as a whole, continuing upto this present day. I know a lot of people still died post this race but before safety was a consideration, many drivers were dying every race and perhaps if this hadn't of happened, we wouldn't have gotten to the stage whereby safety was a primary consideration, as quickly. Not only this but top-end motorsport racing has driven road cars in just about every area imaginable... it's not a far stretch of the imagination to consider that this would have improved road safety dramatically and saved thousands of lives, year in, year out.

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic what happened and in a way, even more tragic for something like that to have happened before anyone even considered safety as an issue but at least some good.....or.....hmm, another word for good maybe..... bleh, I hope you know what I mean anyway.

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
I think it was more a lack of situational awareness, the pilot lost track of how close he was to the ground during his routine.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think it was more a lack of situational awareness, the pilot lost track of how close he was to the ground during his routine.

I think it was a momentary lapse in the left engine, you can see the small nudge(pat 0:50) as it's belly towards the camera.

Also in another video i saw about that, better sound, you can hear the engine volume drop (very much like when they do a point turn).

Rest is just consequence really and trying to save whatever you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom