More RIAA Plans

S

Scooba Da Bass

If you use Kazaa you deserve to be charged $15,000

N

nath

So is it illegal to make songs available to download now?

Surely the whole legal side of kazaa is that people can download files that they have a legal right to download. Some people have legal rights to download mp3s, thus isn't it legal to host mp3's and make it available to everyone and deny responsibility that some people abuse it?

W

Wij

Um - check with Stu :)

My guess is they can argue you should be checking that ppl who download off you have the right to do so. If not it's your bad. Anyway the main point is to scare the shit out of you with the threat of enormous legal bills that they can afford and you can't.

N

nath

Ja, I know.

Still, RIAA are evil fascist fucks. And I hardly ever download mp3s :\

N

nath

*replaces good mp3's with britney spears & liberty x*

mahahha. enjoy :D

W

Wij

But I don't own those. You made me make you break the law.

N

nath

Dear god shut up now :|

*desperately tries to cling on to the remaining shreds of respect he had for Sar* :\

W

Wij

I cum in his hair to humiliate him at every opportunity. Respect Sar indeed ? What is the world coming to ?

M

mank!

I'm changing my name, address and having plastic surgery. And taking my mp3 collection with me.

S

stu

nath - the whole point is, they're not going after Kazaa et al. RIAA lost in a court battle against Morpheus and Grokster, specifically because the Supreme Court stated that the fact that they didn't monitor what was shared did not mean that they were culpable for potential illegal use. Hence RIAA are now targeting the users - ie those people who can be proven to have downloaded copyright material.

I just laugh every time I hear their shit to be honest - "we're going to start taking names and filing suits, you think you're anonymous but you're not". Wow. I'm scared.

Only monkeys use kazaa anyway, the mp3s are all shit quality, ripped by imbeciles at 128kbps using Xing.

E

Embattle

I guessing this sort of action would be harder to do over here?

N

nath

So basically, if I ripped my entire cd collection and made it available on Kazaa, and they filed a law suit, I'd win because I owned all of the cd's?

T

Tom

I would say that falling sales are more down to the general crapness of new acts these days, and not internet piracy.

N

nath

And ludicrous prices of cd's.

14 quid for an album? Fuck right off thanks!

'S all cheaper online of course, but still. The mark up that places like Virgin/HMV charge is fucking absurd.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Fall in Sales = 9%

Fall in number of releases = 15%

N

nath

lol, if those are legit figures then what the fuckbugger are they moaning about?

S

Scooba Da Bass

Those are legit figures.;

http://news.dmusic.com/print/6930

http://www.azoz.com/news/truth16.html

That's just a pair of debunkings, there's hundreds more on Google.

The Riaa needs to unbend itself a little and realise that not everyone is interested in a 20 year old media format. The way people listen to music is changing and much the same way as the music industry fought against 75 RPM records, 33/45 RPM records, and casettes believing that each would lead to the 'death of music', each format eventually turned into a massive money spinner for labels.

One of the majors needs to take a chance and jump into bed with people who know about the potentials offered by the newest digital formats instead of blindly stamping down on people.

N

nath

omg omg omg VCRs will kill teh film industree! etc.

I'm still interested in CD's, I hate listening to music on my computer, even though I've got it rigged up to a pretty decent hifi.

S

Sar

My PC is my main music player - I rarely listen to music on straight CD anymore. When I buy CDs I rip them immediately.

The way I see it is, I've paid my money, so what I do with the contents of said CD is up to me, as regards my own personal use.

PS Scoobs: That DMusic site is pretty good. :great:

D

doh_boy

The only time I listen to CD's in a normal CD-player(i.e. non-pc) is 1) in the shower 2) walkman (haven't the money for an mp3 player) 3) When I'm in bed/waking up.

T

Tom

I download mp3s mainly to determine if I want to buy the CD. I usually listen to the CDs on my Hifi or in my car.

S

(Shovel)

A very good overview of the whole thing by the Guardian - thank God someone in the mainstream press will distrubute some sense on the subject...

Users who are viewing this thread