More ram needed?

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Hey just need some advice.

I have been running LOTM duel logg’d it takes like 98% of my memory on my system.

I’m currently using 512meg x 2 duel channel, I have a spare 256 stick around, now if I add more ram to my system it no longer uses duel channel.

So if I add the 256meg will this have any benefit at all? I’m just trying to save off buying another 1gig simm.

Cheers.

Eble

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
im no computer wizz but does duel channels meen 2 slots?

though, if it still runs ok i suppose not

but cant you try running toa/cata/dr clients as the 2nd account? after all the only real benefit is access to lotm dungeon, and from what i heard its painful enough using 1 account in there

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
There are a few factors to consider...

- What CPU are you using? A pre-conroe Intel CPU really needs fast ram in dual channel mode to perform well, whereas a pre X2 AMD can perform well enough outside of dual channel. With not such a high demand for a fast FSB, adding the 256 mb stick should offer a bigger improvement on a old AMD vs an old intel.

- How many memory slots on your mobo? If you got 4 then another 2 512mb sticks is the way to go. They are soo cheap for slower speeds. (which im guessing your existing ram is given you have 1gb)

- 256 mb will have some benefit but not a huge benefit. It is possible that you could hit the dual log sweet spot for lotm however. Just try it and see how it works.

good luck :)

I dual log two lotm accounts no problem but then I have 2gb.

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Hey thanx guys anyway, I should have given more info:

AMD 2.5ghz (barton core)
1gig x 2 (512 DDR 3200 ram)
MSI K7Ndelta Mother board
(http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=436)

It’s an old system now, has served me well and was top of the range in August 2003

It will run 2 x LOTM clients in the LAB aswell, ofc one BB and other,

Just I was looking to slightly increase the loading times while porting in and like.

Eble

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
im no computer wizz but does duel channels meen 2 slots?

though, if it still runs ok i suppose not

but cant you try running toa/cata/dr clients as the 2nd account? after all the only real benefit is access to lotm dungeon, and from what i heard its painful enough using 1 account in there

When not running round LOTM and getting killed, I use 2 x TOA clients which my systems runs no problems what so ever.

Eble

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom