Help More Maths help

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Maths REALLY isn't my strong suit. I can do the basics, adding, subtracting, multiplying, fairly basic division and so on. However, I'm working towards finally obtaining a G.C.S.E in Maths so I'm starting at Key Skills Level 1. Most of it is fairly simple but occasionally I'll get something that throws me completely. Such as this:

27.50ml of concentrate is needed to make a glass of Orange squash.

How many glasses of squash can be made from a 2 Litre bottle of concentrate?

A. 25
b. 40
c. 50
d. 100

The way I'd work that out is to convert the Litres to ml so it's in teh same format and then divide 2000 by 27.5. However, this gives me 72.72andonandon.

What am I doing wrong?

ileks

Part of the furniture
Nothing. you can make 72 glasses and have .72andonandon left

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The answer is 40 and the number of the question is 27 imo.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not a single question about jet-powered aeroplanes and runway-sized conveyor belts. :(

Access Denied

Believe it or not, haha..

Just googled the question... found http://www.move-on.org.uk/downloadsFile/download655/Num_Level1_TestG_Nov04.pdf

The "27" is the question number.. so it's actually 50ml of concentrate is needed to make a glass of Orange squash.. wow that had me confused :p

So the answer is 40.

Pretty poor paper really.. I imagine that has confused quite a lot of people.

You're right, thanks guys. Jeez now I see it I will be letting my tutor know exactly what I think of whoever fomatted the test, could've done a better job with my eyes shut.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The formatting is a bit shocking but all the questions are numbered. I thought it was grammatically bad to start a sentence with a number in number form anyway?

Access Denied

It's a Maths test, not an English test. Grammatical rules obviously take second place to the equation. You're right though, it is bad Grammar to start a sentence with a number.

Edit: Yes, all the questions are numbered but without extensive training, the Human brain will read that formatting as part of the question.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I read the question as 50ml in the first place, saw 2 litres and about 0.5sec later had the answer of 40 in my head.
2000/50 = 40

No inbetween step, straight answer out.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I feel your pain bro. My uni has me working on Amdahl's Law, and the first question was to reduce the formula (or however that procedure's called in English). I had no idea at all how to do that, whereas I was pretty good at that shit in high school. ffs :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Edit: Yes, all the questions are numbered but without extensive training, the Human brain will read that formatting as part of the question.

I would have thought the 26 previous questions would be the bigger clue. I'm fairly sure you don't need to train the human brain to realise what question numbers are, especially since that's not the first seen on the paper.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also, that's GCSE? Looks more like primary school maths.

Access Denied

Wazz I don't look at the number of the question, I look at the question, should be more observant maybe but there you go. And no Raven, it's not GCSE, it's Key Skills Adult Numeracy Level 1. Didn't say it was GCSE.

Edit: I did state at the beginning that Maths isn't my strong suit.

Access Denied

Right next, and this one has me questioning whether or not I can read.

Graph.jpg

Question.jpg

None of those answers match the one I'm getting both in my head and on a calculator. That's a level 2 test question btw.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
2.5. if you are using a calculator to work out the median you need to read up some more on averages :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Because the median is the middle number in the range and I make the middle number (after they're sorted) 2.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
4 is still in the range though even if it doesnt occur?

Access Denied

Isn't median the same as average? Because I've been working out as I would to get an average, by dividing the number of children by the number of families.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
6 but i dont think the range is important. Its just the middle point of the data set whuch in this case is 2.5 because the median cant be 2 and 3... Right? I think.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The median is the middle value; as there were 23 people asked, it's the 11.5th value when they're arranged in increasing size.

4 families had no children, 8 families had 1 child...it's therefore 1 child as the 'middle' value is 1. Imagine it as the following if it helps:
0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,5 and pick the middle value.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I got cocky. High on my earlier genius, i was rendered incapable of answering this correctly.

Access Denied

The median is the middle value; as there were 23 people asked, it's the 11.5th value when they're arranged in increasing size.

4 families had no children, 8 families had 1 child...it's therefore 1 child as the 'middle' value is 1. Imagine it as the following if it helps:
0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,5 and pick the middle value.

See that is actually VERY helpful. Thank you very much!

gohan

FH is my second home
I'm doing advance maths atm and I still get lost on which is which lol xD although none of them would be 2.5 aoami super genuis boi. Mode is the one that occurs most often? which would be 1 median is the middle if lined up, again 1 and mean is what people would normally refer to when saying average i think, which is add them all up then divide by the number of numbers...... if that makes sense lol i.e. 36/23 or 1.56ish or somthing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom