MOO! Looking for a decent sci-fi strategy game...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I've been revisiting Master of Orion 2 again, a game I keep coming back to every once in a while ever since it was released about a zillion years ago. (MoO3 was utterly appalling). I've tried looking for a decent turn based strategy since and never found anything that comes close that combines the sci-fi fun of encountering alien species, building colonies, designing big spaceships and then taking fleets of them into battle.

Galactic Civilisations didn't cut the mustard for me, Birth of the Federation died stillborn and the Star Wars take on the genre blew stale wind all over it. I looked to Sword of the Stars with interest but reviews seemed to plop it into the pooper scooper. I enjoyed Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri but its a touch planet-bound.

Anyone know of anything good around (or on the horizon) that is turn based, sci-fi and in this genre?

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
If you liked MOO2, then you'd love Acsendancy, which is a simlar game, from a similar time (it used to run on DOS) - but it pummels all competition into submission! The ship combat is just so much fun!

The great thing is, you can download it free from abandoina.com!

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
God I remember that, I used to have it. Yeh it was quite fun and rather bizarre/original spaceship design.

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
No idea if it's any good,but This sounds a bit like what you're looking for. :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl i thought you were going moo like the little cow emote rofl... i cant add anything helpful or constructive here because the most hightec game i played was pacman so ill just slink out the way i came in...

*slinks*

:m00: <-- that one btw

*resumes slinkage*

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
MOO2 is ace \o/ still play hot-seat against my m8s some times :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I always used to like Supremacy. Nothing look whooping Wotok's ugly arse. Think it's available as Abandonware, but it's probably not as good as I remember anyway!!

Helme

Resident Freddy
Could give Empire at War a shot, bit like the Total War series, but with Star Wars.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Cheers for the link. Loading up Ascendancy for old times sake.

Space Empires IV & V available I notice though IV gets better reviews than V. I'll download both and check them out, thanks also for the pointer. I'd forgotten about those.

Seems to be a game called Sins of a Solar Empire in development but it looks more like yet another dratted RTS sadly. Not much on the horizon in the 4x type game genre it seems.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
I absolutely adored moo2, but have never really found anything that compares since...so if you do, please let us know:)

one of the things that used to always amuse me..was how complicated the game is to crack (may be a hint of sarcasm there). cracking games etc was completely different back then.

Elftor

Fledgling Freddie
You could try Galatic Civilizations2, feelt abit like MMO when I tried it out, just never got around to actualy playing it more then a couple minutes :(

I still fire up MOO2 from time to time, one of the best turn based strategy games for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom