Question Monitor Recommendations

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Looking for a second monitor, primarily for work purposes. Lots of spreadsheet work. I'm not thinking of spending a fuckton on a bells-and-whistles affair but I'm ok with spending a bit on something I'm going to get a fair bit of use out of.

Any recommendations, or are they all much of a muchness now?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
How big? I'd go for a 4k one for work stuff myself. I have a 32" Samsung 4k, it's *just* not big enough for native res comfortably so it's at 2560x1440, the extra real estate makes a massive difference over 1080p.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Don't want a massive one as I end up moving it around a lot. But 4k does seem sensible. 32" is a bit overkill I think. I've an old dell 1680x1050 24" atm and it suffices, vut will be going to the new house. But now you've got me thinking I suppose. I need to sort out a home office in the new place but I don't want to be spending a fuckton on what is just a second monitor for work (when my main PC monitor is a 65" TV :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
4k makes sense even at smaller sizes because you can apply scaling in Windows (it's much better in 10 than it was in 8 or 7) and everything gets bigger but is lovely and crisp. You can get a decent 32" 1440p one for under £300 though.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes I have 32" 4k gaming monitor and it is awesome having so much space.

Especially if i do any Excel work as you can see loads and just makes it easier to do the work.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yes I have 32" 4k gaming monitor and it is awesome having so much space.

Especially if i do any Excel work as you can see loads and just makes it easier to do the work.

Do you actually open multiple windows at the same time then?

I find that difficult to do, I still have to fill my whole screen, I much prefer having multiple monitors instead.

I have a tiny square probably 17inch monitor at work, then I go to the IT technicians, they've got multiple huge displays. :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Do you actually open multiple windows at the same time then?

I find that difficult to do, I still have to fill my whole screen, I much prefer having multiple monitors instead.

I have a tiny square probably 17inch monitor at work, then I go to the IT technicians, they've got multiple huge displays. :(

At work I've got 2 monitors but that's not practical at home so the single one works well with multiple windows.

If I'm just on a single spreadsheet the huge screen is also wonderful.

It's the same in our office. The IT manager have these awesome uhd screens that he probably gets no benefit from. I would though :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not letting me post links, brings up dialogue box stating I don't have permissions :) but - Amazon UK selling LG 29UM69G 29 inch (2560 x 1080) for 230 GBP. Looks like it would do for side by side spreadsheets.

Or - Samsung LU28H750UQUXEN 28-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 for 249 GBP

I have 2 x 34" Asus RoG monitors, work wise (home) I usually have two excel one Access DB and online portal on the go. At work I have the 3 x 24" Dell panels (2k capable)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Weird you can't post links. Ta tho! @Deebs!!!! :D

Still can't decide whether to go 4k or ultrawide :\

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The ultra wide are quite narrow.
I know what you meant but :|

A benefit of ultrawide is that you can put loads of stuff side by side so if you have multiple things open it can be a godsend. Especially the more recent, taller 1600px ones. When coding it's a piece of piss to have 3 or even 4 files open at a time, side by side.

If you just want one application full screen I'd say 16:9 is the way to go (unless it's video production or something, then ultrawide is awesome).

Edit - ultrawide is also brilliant for gaming (and 3440x1440 is less pixels than 4k so you get a enveloping experience which is also less GPU-intensive) and 2.35:! movies obviously fit it like a glove (which is probably less of a benefit if you use a TV as your primary display).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The ultra wide are quite narrow.
I find having the larger vertical a benefit for spreadsheet work
Gruddamnit, just pulled the trigger on an ultrawide :\

Not changing it now. We'll see what it's like. I don't generally mind 'em :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's too late but another benefit of 16:9 is that you can usually easily rotate them to portrait mode, which can be useful.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not letting me post links, brings up dialogue box stating I don't have permissions :) but - Amazon UK selling LG 29UM69G 29 inch (2560 x 1080) for 230 GBP. Looks like it would do for side by side spreadsheets.

Or - Samsung LU28H750UQUXEN 28-Inch 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 for 249 GBP

I have 2 x 34" Asus RoG monitors, work wise (home) I usually have two excel one Access DB and online portal on the go. At work I have the 3 x 24" Dell panels (2k capable)
Can you send me a screenshot of the actual error and the link you are trying to post, put the link in [ code ] [ /code ] tags (without spaces)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can you send me a screenshot of the actual error and the link you are trying to post, put the link in [ code ] [ /code ] tags (without spaces)

Ooops - I tried an edit Tony...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think an "Edit Tony" sounds like unauthorised plastic surgery on a large nose.

:)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He wasn't showing as 'registered' so I enabled it, but it seems to have reverted ....

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I hacked his profile a bit - can't remember what I changed :D
oh. he should not be treated any differently from anyone else. would still like to see the error message.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He wasn't showing as 'registered' so I enabled it, but it seems to have reverted ....
ah, let me look.

edit:
it is showing as registered. if it reverts don't touch anything as I want to investigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom