Monitor problem...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ok ive never seen/heard of anyone else with this problem...

i have a 17" TFT monitor, i switched to this from my 19" CRT because the CRT wouldnt fit on my desk at uni, now i have a major problem though (and ive been racking my brains trying to figure out how to get round it)

some games dont auto adjust their resolution and VERY few seem to have resets or any way of running the game in a lower resolution, so running the game in 1600x1200 mode simply makes my monitor have a fit and it turns off the display and leaves a little grey box saying "please change resolution to 1280x1024" with no way of me achieving this...

i do however know that there was no such problem when brother switched monitors (from a 19" CRT to a 17" TFT, infact its the same model im using now) so anyone know why its happening? or is it simply a case of digging up all the cd's for the games and re-installing them as my only option? :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
You might be able to fiddle with some cfg files of each game to specify the res. Have a poke, chances are you'll be able to find a resolution field in some file somewhere.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
incase anyone is curious the game ive been focusing on is Freelancer (my game CD's are back home about 200 miles away :D )

ive found a .ini file and there's a display area but changing the resolution does nothing :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Try making fullscreen = 0 - that might help you get in to the game and change the res the proper way.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
no luck :(

i tested the .ini file by removing the movies from start up and it worked (ie i cant hear the intro anymore :p ), but for some reason not responding changing the display... you got it installed? mine currently looks like this:

[;Display]
fullscreen = 1
size = 1024,800
color_bpp = 32
depth_bpp = 32

thats my "back-up" that im not fiddling with anyway :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, that's what I've got here too. Strange that it's not responding to res changes. That said - it's 1024,800 as opposed to 1024,768 - maybe there's a specific number you need to get for your res to get it to work.

Fullscreeun = 0 should work though, dunno what's going on there :\

Ormorof

FH is my second home
mmmm my other one looks like this:

[;Display]
fullscreen = 0
size = 800, 600
color_bpp = 16
depth_bpp = 16

(ie the one ive been messing with)

i managed to start the game by randomly waving my mouse around and clicking though woot :D

(black screen with grey box still doh)

edit: hmmm since i can still access the game you dont fancy giving me a list of the options available in game and the following submenu's do you? i might be able to change the resolution that way o_O

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Thing is, you can't keyboard control the options, mouse only so it'd be very difficult to get it working like that.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
nath said:
Thing is, you can't keyboard control the options, mouse only so it'd be very difficult to get it working like that.

damn :p

i was just randomly clicking before, but discovered that as you move mouse over the option it makes a small sound... but that would likely take me days to get anywhere with :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, there must be an easier way to do this.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
borrow a monitor from a uni friend and reset the rezz then put yrs back on

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
some games allow you to enter the resolution in the command line of the shortcut

or startup in safe mode and run the game there - it shouldnt allow the high res to workk

Ormorof

FH is my second home
ive been trying to find a "safe mode" option :(

and moriath only other person in block with a proper monitor (ie a non-laptop monitor) has same one as me! :(

ive given up and gotten parents to post me my game CD's :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom