Confused Monitor out of frequency

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So the other day my monitor died. by which I mean the backlight blew and since I just spent almost £400 getting my car through it's MOT I can't afford to replace it at the moment.

I picked up a CRT from a charity shop for a few quid and it works, sort of. When I turn to computer on it works up until the windows loading screen disappears, then it tells me it's out of frequency and turns itself off after 20 seconds. There is nothing I can do to stop it. Now I called my digital Jedi and he told me I need to turn my graphics card down. However, while it all works fine booting into safe mode, I can't change my card settings because it won't load the drivers and the CCC won't work without them. Just tells me there isn't any drivers installed.

Anyone got any ideas? Windows 7 32bit and ATI Radeon 2600 pro card.

Access Denied

Hmm, it seems that plugging the VGA cable into the monitor once everything is already loaded works. This is bloody weird. Why would it say out of frequency when movign from the loading screen to the password screen but be fine otherwise?

Access Denied

Scratch that, only worked once that way. Fuckssake.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Does it always work in safe mode? If so, completely remove all your gfx card drivers, use driver cleaner pro, get a cracked version.

If it doesn't, than I'd say your card or PSU is fucked, most likely card. Never heard or seen this error before, if it works in safe mode it's software. If it doesn't, RMA the card but try a different slot first.

Access Denied

Wellllllll...

Having done some experimentation, here's what happens. It always works in Safe Mode so I know it's not hardware. It only happen when the screen momentarily goes blank between the Windows Loading Screen and the password screen. However, if I take the VGA cable out before I boot and wait long enough for the password screen to have loaded, then plug the cable back in it works with no problems at all.

Sooner I can afford to replace it and get a new LCD the better.

Syri

FH is my second home
It sounds like windows isn't quite forgetting the settings from the old monitor, most likely both are being seen as just "standard plug and play monitor", so it's trying to use the old settings. If there is no monitor there, then it has to load new settings once there is one. Have you tried going into the settings and changing them when you do get it to work in normal mode?
If you have tried changing it, and it didn't work, you could try VGA mode if it's available. When you get the option for safe mode, see if there's an option to enable VGA mode. I know XP had it, can't remember if they kept it for windows 7 or not, and don't really feel like restarting just to find out.
If VGA mode is there, that will load windows with the screen resolution set to it's lowest settings, but everything else loading as normal, so then you should be able to just go in to the video settings, and set it up correctly.
Another option would be to load safe mode, remove the ATI driver, then restart and install the driver again.
If it is remembering settings, one of those methods should work to get the old settings out and let it make a new profile for the new monitor. Hope some of this is some help.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
It sounds like you have a higher refresh rate or resolution than the monitor supports , not sure how you can change the setting though if the screen doesnt come up.

Access Denied

Bah, needed to format anyway, so I did. More frickin problems. Installed Win7 and then the screen, 3/4 of the way through, decided it couldn't get any signal from the computer and I couldn't see to do anything. Sometimes I fucking hate computers. So I installed XP until I can get an LCD replacement. I fucking hate XP now too =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom