Monitor gone bang ?

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

Got some wireless kit on friday, and set that all up. Anyway, in the process of doing that, I had to restart the PC's. When I went to reboot the PC, the monitor just showed black. The light showing what mode the monitor is in shows green (ie - powered up) but it's just not showing any picture. So I turned off the PC, took out the leads etc, blew them out (for dust etc) re-seated them and restarted the PC. Still, nothing. When I take out the blue lead (dunno what it is called, the one that plugs into the GFX card, input lead I guess) the monitor shows the little picture which says that it is not plugged in, if you know what I mean.

I took the monitor off my brother's PC and plugged that in, all works fine.

When I try the "Broken" monitor on bro's PC, the exact same thing happens.

Also, may be related to this. I formatted the PC in question a while ago, when windows had all loaded up, the speakers did not work. My brothers speakers also do not work in our PC.

Anyone got any ideas ? Has the monitor died ? We have had it for at least 4 years, and with 3 gamers in the house it gets used a fair bit.
Anything need clarification just ask.

Cheers

Chris

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If it's doing the same on a different PC then that would suggest that it is the monitor that's screwed.

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
Ok thought so, I just wanted to check that it had died before I buy a new one.

Thanks

Chris

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Obviously you've considered repairing it.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah, my monitor did that, and it was just a little fuse which needed replacing. Of course you'll need a voltmeter to test each component

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Don't just go opening up the monitor and poking around. CRT's carry a hell of a charge for a long time after they're unplugged. Leave it unplugged from the mains for at least a day or two before even thinking about opening it up.

sirin

Fledgling Freddie
I hadn't considered repairing it - I probably wouldn't do it myself, as I do not have any real electrical experience, nor the tools (don't even own a voltometer)

I may give a few places a call, see if they do repair. Depends how much it costs though, new 17" CRT monitors are really pretty cheap now.

Cheers

Chris

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Bah. Out of the window with it. Make sure it doesn't land screen side down though. A bit of a let down when that happens.

:)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
If you get the "not connected" screen popping up, this suggests that it might be a problem with the cable - can you replace it easily, or is it fully integrated into the monitor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom