modem leagues

O

old.g00n3r

considering that UKCCL is basically defunct at the moment. There is fuck all modem leagues around the UK and Ireland.

So would BarrysWorld host a modem league. This would be popular like the UKCCL one was.

Just a suggestion

g00n3r

O

old.Necro

I think BW would be happy to host one, but the question is who would run it. I doubt BF would want to, considering what happened to the MCW.

C

cenobite

/me throws in his two pence

I think it would be a really good idea but the usual problems exist as I see it :

What days would it run on? As things stand there are league games every night bar Friday and Saturday and I would think people would be loathed to play in them if those were the dates chosen. ATM its-
Sun - CTF
Mon - CTF
Tues - DM
Wed - DM
Thurs - FFA

And thats only for Q3. Excluding RA3, TF both for Q3 and of course CS, UT etc.. all taking up servers.

Obviously the issue exists about who is running it but I would think people would be jumping at the chance to run it. Sound weird?

Well i guess it depends on how much you want a job at BarrysWorld. If you run a league very well and earn the respect of the people playing it and also the BW Staff then it would do you no harm when it came to trying to get a job at BW. Presuming that BW were recruiting and they stick to the employing from within the community that has worked well for them so far.

Innit?

[This message has been edited by Cenobite (edited 31 August 2000).]

O

old.g00n3r

well cenobite,

you have hit it on the head. But there's a lot of clans that have modemers that usually doesnt get a game in BWDML in favour for the ISDNers.

So that is why I have suggested the modem league for BW.

g00n3r

O

old.synergy

yeah because there aren't any decent modem leagues out there anyway. I would sure like to have one again which is popular and filled with the right clans, coz despite of recent delevopment some of us are still on modem :)

-- synergy

O

old.eternity

It would also be nice to see some more modem orientated clans (if they excist)

Anyone know of any?

------------------
eternity

O

old.Kez

Clan 3M (3 x M - modem madness men)*

End of?

*Ok, I made it up, but its a spinky name :(

O

old.Kez

wtf is the point in a reply that only says no text? pfft.

:(

B

bigfoot

As ceno summises well for once (seeing as he usually grabs the wrong end of the stick with both hands and feet ;o) it would be kinda difficult to fit a Q3DM Modem League in amongst all the leagues we currently run, for both server resource and human resource issues.

That said, if somebody was to come to me and say "i want to run a BWQ3DM Modem League" i would be all ears and i am sure we could find a server. There will however remain the issue of avoiding having clashing leagues on the same night for the same game. One stipulation would be though that no non-UK based clans and players would be allowed to play though.

I am also a bit sceptical over how "popular" it would be, the UKCCL had 2 divisions and evne then it struggled to get them both full of active clans from what i remember.

[This message has been edited by bigfoot (edited 01 September 2000).]

O

old.Kez

well, a vague (read: shite) suggestion.

Considering the supposedly small userbase, would it fit into the times of say, sunday lunchtime before ctf? ie, use the league servers.

as I think of it, its an even worse than I thought, carry on ignoring me.

:(

O

old.Necro

ISTM that the problem is that there's plenty of modemers out there, but trying to assemble and maintain modem-only clans is easier said than done.

O

old.m1RV

BigFoot,

Why wouldnt non-uk clans and even players not be allowed? Im one of Ireland's best hpbs, that says a lot about the quality of irish players eh? ;)

But I know from looking around that theres _plently_ of bored modemers around looking for a league to play in, it is awfully boring being in a clan while being a second-rate-citizen because of our connects.

Besides from that, I wouldnt see why you wouldnt allow non-uk clans if there are barely any modem clans nowadays. If you decide to remove this stipulation, I'll stand up to be an admin..

------------------

O

old.m1RV

Necro - the main reason modem based clans are dying is because of the slowness of the UKCCL restarting, I know since clan eternal-9 (e9) is almost dead these days, a few months ago it was populated with the elite, but now due to lack of interest its struggling to stay alive...

O

old.g00n3r

I argee with m1rv. I would not exclude Ireland or France. As they do have a lot of modemers.

Also most clans have a couple of HPBs in the clans that are not playing often. They could let them join the modem league that if some1 admins and runs it.

g00n3r

B

bigfoot

Sorry m1rv, my memory of what we ended up doing in the MCW not serving me well enough. We basically decided there that due to the borderline ping issues, that only players from the UK & Ireland could play.

It is all fine and well to say allow France, but if a french player turns up with a 120 ping (as i have seen french isdn'ers do) are you going to let him play?

Modem league based on pings are silly. Ddetermining between laggy french/euro isdners and modemers is a pain in the arse, and would cause problems. Easier to just restrict it to UK&Ireland and be done.

O

old.eternity

Kez, i put nt because i wanted to emphasise the thumbs up above it.

icon14.gif
<---

It was only a gesture.

------------------
eternity

O

old.Necro

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m1RV:
Necro - the main reason modem based clans are dying is because of the slowness of the UKCCL restarting, I know since clan eternal-9 (e9) is almost dead these days, a few months ago it was populated with the elite, but now due to lack of interest its struggling to stay alive...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is more a feedback effect than a cause. The MCW had problems of modem teams staying together (esp in div1), and that was in the days when ISTR fold rates of clans was lower overall.

O

old.g00n3r

I argee with BigFoot. We should have a modem league for UK & Ireland only.

I am in a clan that has some irish players, like m1rv.. he pings around 200-300 on UK servers which is not too bad.

g00n3r

O

old.eternity

Will new clans be formed for this league or will it be modemers from clans in other leagues?

I think the latter would be a bad idea due to clashing calender dates.

------------------
eternity

O

old.m1RV

Emmm id say more like 140-160...

------------------

O

old.The_Stranger

Bif, what I think M1RV is trying to say, is that the modemers in Ireland and France etc, should be able to play, so their pings would be even higher. I don't think he means allowing LPBS from Ireland / France play etc.

------------------
The Stranger

O

old.g00n3r

If there was a modem league going to be started from BW. The big question still stands. Who would run it?

I would be happy to help and be an admin in this league with m1rv.

I hope someone comes forward and asks BW to run the modem league here.

g00n3r

B

bigfoot

Yes but Stranger, regardless of what their pings may be, at the bottom end of the scale your going to get modemers pinging 100-140 but you can equally get isdners pinging the same from foreign countries. How are you going to know if that person is simply a good modemer or a laggy isdner ?

O

old.The_Stranger

Ah, I see what you getting at now, how to enforce no euro isdners playing. It is probably unfeasable (but is it more unfeasable than checking for euro players anyway?) to /rcon status and look at the ip's of the players who have good modem pings?

------------------
The Stranger

B

bigfoot

Yeh could do, but why should it only be a rule for those with low pings? An isdner on 150 or mebbe 180 has an advantage over a modemer with a 200 ping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom