MODEM HELP!

O

old.D R E ad

I have been playing over the internet now for about a year, but have never managed to achieve a ping less of than about 300. I have tried loads of games on loads of servers. I have tried just about every modem, connection and game setup tweak possible and i have also tried using about 20 various ISP's. Nothing seems to help much.
I'm now starting to think it must be my modem. Its a 56k v90, but its a real cheap thing (pctel i think) that came in my pc.
I'm just wondering if anyone here thinks a higher quality modem - like a 3com external USB - might be the answer. Has anyone ever used two different 56k modems in on the same machine with the same ISP and seen any real difference in perfomance?
Also whats best - external USB vs internal PCI?

One other thing, i have a ten meter extension lead from my pc to my wall socket which i know does not help, but it can't make that much of a difference - can it? my freind has 20 meters - but gets pings around 150 to 200 sometimes, which i can only dream about.

Thanks in advance.

DREad - 'Tactical Oops' Clan UK -

O

old.[GBL]Savage

Hi m8.
Well im no expert on these things, but i would recommend a new modem for a start (i used to have a motorola software internal modem, but i soon upgraded to a hardware one and saw instant improvement in various places)
I think a good balance between your hardware (modem) and isp will help lower your pings.
Try different isp's first, and then a new modem, see if it helps.
I am on 56k at the mo with hardware modem and worldonline as my isp and i achieve pings as low as 97 at times.

L

luap

/me lends a helping hand.

PC Tel modems are the Lada / Skoda / Happy Shopper /GI of the modem market. They are really, really bad. Bin it after you have read this :p

3Com make great modems but only for surfing. They use strange init codes and seem to give shite pings and loads of packet loss.

USB modems are generally ok for surfing but I have found the best modems for internet games are Hardware 56k V90's. Preferably external serial versions. The serial versions have been around for so long that there are never any real probs or "issues".

I use a MultiModem 5600 56k V90 external serial, Barrydial gives me a steady 120 ping and no PL in UT to a BW server. Q3 gives me around 150. I have done no Windoze tweaks or anything like that. Many ppl will prolly give good advice on MDU settings and the like. I've never really needed them myself.

O

old.[MMX]NinjaGaz

For a multimodem I presume you are using it like ISDN down two lines then? So thats probably out of the question :)

I've got two modems in my computer (for multilink purposes (which I still haven't tried yet :D)). My Diamond Supra Express (Probably the best modem) gives some nice pings most of the time (when with a good ISP, like barrysworld ;)) whereas my other modem gives pings about 50 higher so it will be your modem.

Go out and buy a Diamond Supra Express. I think they is about £35 :)

O

old.Mig

Originally posted by [MMX]NinjaGaz
Go out and buy a Diamond Supra Express

Go out and buy a T1
,that will solve it,trust me,not sure about the price tought
/me kidding

W

Wazzerphuk

Get a new modem, get a good ISP, use good servers. If the problem still continues, call up your telco company (probably BT) and request to have the gain on your phoneline turned up (something like 12 should be fine).

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

Cable modems ....... r they any goood?

O

old.[MMX]NinjaGaz

£40 a month I believe but only available in selected areas.

T

Testin da Cable

40?
wow, steep rates over there on the island :)

O

old.D R E ad

Just to let you know...

I have been looking into this modem thing over the last few days and have found out that most USB modems are soft modems (winmodems), in an external case, and should be avoided unless you are 100% sure its pure hardware.
Most people seem to think the best modems are external serial ones, as they are almost certainly always pure hardware, and i have to agree. USB should make things better, but it seems most manufactures are just using USB to make really cheap external soft modems. The problem with PCI is its really hard to tell if they are hardware or software driven and most are part software/part hardware. It seems most retailers don't know either and that many manufactures don't like us to know to much.
I brought a Diamond Supra Max USB the other day thinking it would be as good as / better than the Supra Pro serial. Wrong! it seems that its another soft modem. I will be swaping it for a supra pro serial asap.
My advice - while softsmodems can be better for surfing, stick to good 'ol serial modems for gaming - prefrebly the Diamond Supra Pro 56e.

Cheers.

O

old.[G-UT] C.O Defiance

Or get a £50 quid cable modem, and use it for only 10 quid a month plus ur isp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom