Mod banning guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Generally posters are subject to a CoC. So long as they don't cross the line, there's no reason for them to be banned, or have their posts deleted/edited.

Shouldn't there be a similar guideline for moderators, informing them how bad a post must be, before needing to be edited/deleted or provoke bannings. I'd guess mods are trusted to their own judgement, in cases where a clear breach of the CoC hasn't occured, but moderation may be necessary. In such cases, the mature action would be one of informing the poster of how they broke the CoC, instead of repeatedly banning them every time they ask. Thus providing no explanation and forcing the poster into silence.

This is in response to the actions taken in this thread. Where I posted a picture, fully legal. The next day I noticed my post had been removed, and was curious as to why. Though my next posted was edited out and account banned. I registered another account a while back(Trake), which I used to find out what the purpose of this moderating was, and that account was banned too, with no reason given.

So a regular post is removed, and any time I try to find out what was illegal about that original post, I'm being edited/banned into silence. I don't agree with the tactics employed here. Bannings should be used as a last resort, after a user has been cautioned but continues to break the CoC. But if trigger-happy mods are freely handing out bans with no reason to justify them, and no explanation to give later, which results in chain-bannings... there is a problem.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I thought random nazi banning sessions had stopped since bigfoot no longer goes on sprees?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Escape

Just a quick post :) I just wanted to say that the mods are very well supervised here at FH.

First off, all reported posts automatically generate a thread in the mods forum for all to see and comment upon, and they often are commented upon where necessary. Secondly, the mods forum is used to discuss any action taken, to hear opinions, and to generally ensure decisions taken are reasoned. Most often a warning is sent before any action is taken. It's in the mods' interest to be reasonable and principled as random bannings causes more problems and dissent. Finally, even if a user becomes banned as a last resort, such action is reversible if needs be.

I don't know the specifics of the case, but I just wanted to say that a lot of care is generally taken in choosing mods and, once chosen, I've never known them intentionally abuse their power. They may make mistakes, but as I say, they are reversible if needs be.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Duplicate accounts, however well-meaning, are usually banned as a matter of course.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Jonty said:
I just wanted to say that the mods are very well supervised here at FH.
MOST of the mods are. Yep. Yep.

Kind Regards,

King Clown

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
MOST of the mods are
I can only speak of those I know about, Clown :) You know I tend not to leave the hardware forums that much, but there Wilier and myself 'are the law' (rar! ;)). hehe.

Kind Regards

Tilda

Your original post was removed by Flim, you then posted back insulting him rudly for removing your post, so I gave you a 2 day mini ban, you created an alt account, which was then banned.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Embattle said:
I got banned by a humourless admin over there :)

I got banned from there once. I flamed back a regular. Dispacable behaviour flaming regulars, I should have expected it. Obviously we dont do that kind of thing over here.

Will

/bin/su
Ch3tan said:
...Dispacable behaviour flaming regulars, I should have expected it. Obviously we dont do that kind of thing over here.
Shut it, you cock. :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Look, you, Itchy, Reverend what ever you call yourself these days. Get on your bike and bugger off. heh.

Will

/bin/su
I'm stuck at work till 1945, I'll be hanging around attempting humour until then. :p

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
Your original post was removed by Flim, you then posted back insulting him rudly for removing your post, so I gave you a 2 day mini ban, you created an alt account, which was then banned.

Contained in the original post was a quip at GAME, for their 'Pre-Order now : Be the First to Play' promotion for Catacombs. A game they're realeasing one week late. In the US I could probably sue them for false advertising :p

As you've revealed, the post wasn't up to Flimgoblin's level of humour and he deleted it. So I wonder if he's moderating the forums for the community, or for himself. Anyone so uptight is suspected of being 'socially inactive', by myself. Which you translate as "insulting him rudely". Pretty low mark you've got for handing out bans. If I want to 'rudely insult' someone, it will contain lots of profanity, outrageous claims of his sexual orientation, perverse threats against his pets and so on. That would be worthy of a ban.

Though you and Flim do push your "Don't fuck with the mods, we're hardcore" routine, which is immature in itself. If forum mods keep a low profile and only moderate that which deserves it, they won't have any trouble from the community. But when mods get personal about their 'playground' and drop reminders at every oppurtunity of their 'status', backed up with mass bannings, the *community will suffer. If you can't live without being macho on the internet, join #teens and let them have it!

In 3 days Flimgoblin has failed to give any reason for removing my post. I doubt he'd wait so long if I had 'rudely insulted' him and broken the CoC.

*I use the term losely, as there isn't much of a daoc community. Go figure...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
One rule thats pretty constant across the internet is that if you get hassled by a mod for any reason, you don't whinge about it by posting a new thread.

Next time, come straight here. Mind you, the decent mods like Jonty will generally pm you and tell you what happened. Others just give you excuses (hehe Clown)

Oh and I'd like to see Will's collar back as well! If only I could find my Davros avatar.....

Ziva

Fluffy
Even though i don't have anything to do with the deleting and banning in this case i would like to add my view.

The thread you are referring to was made to post screenshots of Catacombs. You post a screenshot that has nothing to do with the reason the thread was started except then to be a smartass funny/flaming GOA for the release date.

That my friend, is called going off topic. You might find that funny but imo it's a form of disrespect towards the topicstarter cause you are basically saying "Hey mister X, i don't care why you started this thread, i feel like flaming/making fun of whatever and i'm gonna use your thread to do so" thus also risking completely fucking up the thread.

My guess (read guess, haven't spoken to him) is that Flim deleted your post cause you were trying to fuck up a nice thread. I think you could have guessed that yourself when you found out your post was removed. If however after finding out you choose to insult Flim instead of pming him to ask him why he removed it yes, i understand the temp ban.

You ask for something that isn't possible. Moderating isn't a black and white thing, neither is posting so there will allways be issues. Regardless of that, insulting people is allways a no-no so if you choose to do that, expect actions taken.

Btw.. i don't know what you wrote to Flim after he deleted your post, maybe you can say what that was please?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Ziva said:
The thread you are referring to was made to post screenshots of Catacombs. You post a screenshot that has nothing to do with the reason the thread was started except then to be a smartass funny/flaming GOA for the release date.

That my friend, is called going off topic. You might find that funny but imo it's a form of disrespect towards the topicstarter cause you are basically saying "Hey mister X, i don't care why you started this thread, i feel like flaming/making fun of whatever and i'm gonna use your thread to do so" thus also risking completely fucking up the thread.

I don't mind people telling me if I'm being an asshole(sometimes I am), but at least out of common respect, they should know what they're talking about! You've already generalised me as a typical forum-flamer, without bothering to read anything I wrote earlier. Your only purpose was to be biased and support the other DAoC mods. Without looking at my issue at how this was handled, you've already decided the admins were right, and I was wrong. Is that an acceptable approach for a moderator to take?

Don't worry. Admins will always stick up for each other, it happens all over the net and even in similar real-life roles. It's just as common for threads to go off-topic. Probably 80% of threads will have off-topic posts in them, a phenomenon which cannot be controlled, so just accept it! Infact, reasearch would probably show off-topic posts are healthy for a thread.

It's been explained before, but what I posted had nothing to do with GOA. Neither did it indirectly involve them. More to the point, the picture was not off-topic. The whole of Europe has the expansion, heck people are already level 50! Yet because of some corporate tarts in the UK gaming industry, we'll need to wait until Friday before acquiring our copies. And the GAME website still says:

QQ.jpg

Be the first to play!
Excuse me for finding that funny x<
Yes this is the picture which was removed, in all its naked glory!

That's what a catacombs screenshot likes like for alot of people. You're offended by seeing that? ok....

You want to know how I insulted Flim? It's been mentioned a couple of times earlier: socially inactive. Which in itself is soo outrageously offensive, you didn't even notice it!

Anyway, I don't think this will go anywhere as Flimgoblin will keep his silence. Probably no need for this thread to have happend, but I was annoyed at the time.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Will said:
Shut it, you cock. :eek:
It is my humble judgement that this post is a breach of the "General Conduct" section of the CoC and that this gives me reason enough to close this (shit) thread.

Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom