Mobo fried?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I bought a new case for my PC the other day, a rather sexy looking coolermaster cosmos, anyway. After transferring all the gubbins from my old PC into the new case it wouldn't start, after a few minutes there was a loud "pop" sound. i assumed it must have been the power supply giving up the ghost. A quick trip to PC world and £70 worse off i had a new power supply which i have installed. The PC now boots fine, though the optical drives don't work, the bios doesn't even see them and when i do a soft shut down, start menu>shut down it turns off the monitor, graphics card etc but the fans (including cpu) carry on spinning. I have to switch off the power supply at the wall to turn it off properly.

Any ideas? :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sounds like it is indeed a duff motherboard, if not as well as your optical drives too.
Might be worth taking it all apart again, this is something that could have been caused by a short behind the motherboard somewhere.

rynnor

Rockhound
Sounds like it is indeed a duff motherboard, if not as well as your optical drives too.
Might be worth taking it all apart again, this is something that could have been caused by a short behind the motherboard somewhere.

Aye - I have seen something similar when a motherboard wasnt correctly fitted into a case and caused a short - in that case the short blew the replacement psu as well :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well i took the optical drives apart to see if there was any tell tale burn marks, there was on one but not the other one, either way they are fried, took the motherboard out and had a good look, nothing visible and having no problems at all now, except it wont power off properly.

Think i will take the new power supply back to PC world and swap it as faulty and see what happens, hopefully its just bad luck and i bought a faulty PSU after blowing the old one :)

The wife wont be best please if i have to shell out another £200 on a new mobo+optical drive+PSU when the PC is only 6 months old :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom