Mobility Radeon not supported by DAoC

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Anyone knew about this?

GOA said:
Dear customer,

We are sorry but the Mobility Radeon video cards are not supported by DAoC.

Regards,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

My laptop keeps shutting down when I actively play daoc on it. Little or no probs when I run a BB and dont move around with him.
Didnt know these gfx cards were not supported, anyone else with mobility radeons that have problems with the game?

Gamah

Banned
Comos said:
Anyone knew about this?

My laptop keeps shutting down when I actively play daoc on it. Little or no probs when I run a BB and dont move around with him.
Didnt know these gfx cards were not supported, anyone else with mobility radeons that have problems with the game?

If it was a laptop it was probably overheating.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
That's what I thought at first but I did a lot of tests and it doesn't have any problems with 3Dmark stress tests or other games that put a lot of stress on the gfx card such as WoW, HL2, B&W2, CS:source,... no problems there at all.

I did just find this page though:
http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=557

It seems that the whole ATI Mobility series are not recommended and not supported, too bad really :(

edit: lol ok also found this link http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=351
Mythic said:
Supported cards:

All In Wonder Radeon
All In Wonder Radeon 8500
Radeon 7000/VE
Radeon 7200
Radeon 7500/LE
Radeon 8500
Mobility Radeon
They really should make up their minds :D

Gamah

Banned
I think I read somewhere that catacombs supports mobility but the others don't or something. Or its the other way around.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
This should be in the tech section, where its also worth searching for similar problems.

Also try updating all drivers; bois, network adapters, GFX all the usual ones, and try a memory test too.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Comos said:
That's what I thought at first but I did a lot of tests and it doesn't have any problems with 3Dmark stress tests or other games that put a lot of stress on the gfx card such as WoW, HL2, B&W2, CS:source,... no problems there at all.

I did just find this page though:
http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=557

And it says "Current *not supported* Shrouded Isles video cards"

find a link where it says what cards TOA/catacombs/DR isnt supporting.

ToA might also be a tad old to be getting reliable info about when it comes to supported cards as there isnt that many ppl thats still using that client( and yes, i DO KNOW that there IS ppl thats using it) but its the expansion ppl love to bitch about so might aswell give them one more reason ;)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Have to say, every time I've seen a weird graphics issue/bug/compatibility problem...it has been ATI. I work in tech/networking support and quite frankly I wouldn't trust ATI's drivers or chipsets further than I could bench-press an Agramon milegate. They may have nice-sounding numbers and specs on their cards, but they are flat out not as reliable or generally compatible with software as Nvidia cards and drivers. I'm about to put a new fire-breathing gaming PC together and and I'm not even considering anything other than an Nvidia card.

Nvidia for the...er...win. They work, and they keep working.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Have to say, every time I've seen a weird graphics issue/bug/compatibility problem...it has been ATI. I work in tech/networking support and quite frankly I wouldn't trust ATI's drivers or chipsets further than I could bench-press an Agramon milegate. They may have nice-sounding numbers and specs on their cards, but they are flat out not as reliable or generally compatible with software as Nvidia cards and drivers. I'm about to put a new fire-breathing gaming PC together and and I'm not even considering anything other than an Nvidia card.

Depends ALOT of what game you are playing. I have had atleast as much problems with Nvidia cards as with ATI cards (95% it´s drivers that screw things up. find the right drivers and you are set)

But yes Nvidia is the better choice for Dark age of Camelot.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I don't do anything too tricky on the laptop (Mobility Radeon X300), but I've not had problems in Camelot (Catacombs client). I'm using the Dell ATi drivers, as I had some issues with the Omega drivers (blue screen of death), and the ATi site recommended supplier drivers for Dell (guess there are some tweaks).

Links I found :

Shrouded Isles client - http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=557 (Not supported)

TOA client - http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=398 (Not supported)

Catacombs client - http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=762 (not supported)

Darkness Rising client - http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=833 (Not supported)

I reckon that means not supported !

Darzil

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
strange.... i have some piece of shit integrated card.... i mean really crap, and runns daoc fine... tho fps is allways (allmost) yellow.

can run it whit cata gfx whit 1024x768 whit ease.. alltho one thing sux... all artis weapons, exept malice, gs... are white color. whit or whitout cata gfx :(

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:

this is true.. alst 2 cards have been ati (one im useing atm)... first burned (was 9800pro..) about 5 moths due to manufactorers (sp) mistake.

other one is working like a dream atm... found the best catalyst and no problems enymore. Catalyst 5.2 ftw. i am useing atm X800pro... fucking beast, but its getting old allredy :p

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Mythic are possibly a little biased towards nvidia. They've also had the nvidia logo on the main game loading screen for the US servers, although I have no idea if this is still the case.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Have to agree with the Troll. For as long as I can remember ATi drivers have aleays been crappy. Now I regard Graphics Cards the same way I do SCSI Cards.

For SSCSI there are only 3 suppliers Adaptec, Adaptec and Adaptec.
For Graphics Cards it's Nvidia, Nvidia and Nvidia.

Out of interest anyone play with a Qosmio Laptop by Tosh? If so what's it like? Nearly bought one last week, nice spec with a Nvidia Go6600 card.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Hawkwind said:
Out of interest anyone play with a Qosmio Laptop by Tosh? If so what's it like? Nearly bought one last week, nice spec with a Nvidia Go6600 card.
Borrowed one at work a couple of weeks back, nearly put my PC to shame! Make sure its got plenty of memory tho.

In the same thread light, my GFs loptap has an ATI Mobility (doent that sounds like its got wheelchair access?) thingymebob, runs fine on that, so Id say its some dodogy drivers somewhere.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Most companies don't (really) support Mobility cards, because:
A) The official vendor (Asus/Aopen/etc) drivers are always outdated.
B) You can forcefully install the chip vendor's (ATi for ATI Mobility or NVIdia for GO! chipsets) drivers, but most users don't know how or want to know how. Tech support rather doesn't go there as it's not "the way it was meant to".
C) You can install tweaked drivers, which are based on old(er) chip vendor drivers but bundled with registry settings. Unfortunately, new games require newer drivers in some cases. That's just tech support being afraid.
D) The reason for that dreadful A & B situation is that some vendors modify the video chipsets, making it harder to supply uniform drivers.

Oh. And I switched back to NVidia after having had an ATI card. And NVidia's drivers aren't that amazing either.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Hawkwind said:
...a Qosmio Laptop by Tosh? If so what's it like?
Put it this way...I've no direct references about gaming performance on one, but a few months back I got a call from someone who'd managed to reverse their Ford Mondeo - not a small car - over one; the lid was snapped in half, but it still booted to Windows (you could hear the ghastly piano tinkle over the largely smashed speakers). Now that's build quality.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
I'm afraid flashing bios or changing the driver didn't solve it either. I've tried the vendor drivers of Acer (but those were very outdated) then I forced an install of the ATI mobility drivers and tried 2 or 3 versions of those.
And the incompatibility statement of Mythic goes for every client, as shown by Darzil's post. (Though in another one of their support pages they put the mobility radeons under 'supported cards'... the logic! :eek:).

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
I have a Radeon 9000 mobile, ofcause this is an older version, but never had problems with daoc on my laptop in any versions.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
odd i have a Radeon Mobility 9800 and had no problems on daoc or any other game except warcraft 3. But that was due to Dell using cheap parts and it overheating

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Never had a problem with either of laptops running with ATI Cards

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
old.Whoodoo said:
Borrowed one at work a couple of weeks back, nearly put my PC to shame! Make sure its got plenty of memory tho.

In the same thread light, my GFs loptap has an ATI Mobility (doent that sounds like its got wheelchair access?) thingymebob, runs fine on that, so Id say its some dodogy drivers somewhere.

Do you happen to know if the memory is shared with the graphics module? I know this is usual with laptops but couldn't find out for sure on the Tosh site. If so, 1Gb should be OK but may have to increase it to 2 Gb.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Daedalus said:
Oh. And I switched back to NVidia after having had an ATI card. And NVidia's drivers aren't that amazing either.

no they aint, but alot better then any of the other drivers out there ;)

Nvidia is the one ive had LEAST problems with. i DO have problems every now and then, but nothing as huge as when i make the mistake of getting a ATI card. then its just belly up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom