mobile speed camera

Laddey

FH is my second home
Allright lads, i was driving down the 30 mph road today and just noticed a speed van when i was like 50 yards away from it, maybe less.

I was doing about 33mph. Give or take 1mph as the speedo doesnt have those little marks on it.

I've been doing some research and on a few forums people have said the leniency is 10% of the speed limit, +2mph. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, what range is the speed van? Like on speed camera it has the hatch markings around 5-10 yards infront of the camera, is this the same? Or is the distance further on the vans?

Shitting my pants, only been driving 14 months now and 6 points in the first 2 years and i have to resit my test. (i have 0 points btw)

I usually stick to the speed limit, must of been careless.

Also, if i was to get hit with points is there a driving awareness course i can do?

Thanks!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Usually you will be alright unless you are doing 35mph or over, saying that though Lancashire traffic police are the biggest bunch of cnuts in the country.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Usually you will be alright unless you are doing 35mph or over, saying that though Lancashire traffic police are the biggest bunch of cnuts in the country.
So are most things from Lancashire, other than me.

Thanks for the input cHo mate. Hope you're good!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Essex Police are the worst. If you fart in your car, they've got a device to measure how much pollution you're doing to the Ozone layer & they'll impound your car, fuck your wife with their truncheons, sodomise your dog, shit on your carpet, & then fine you & give you 11 points on your licence. Bastards.

- English -

Resident Freddy
speeding is 3points i think, so you wouldnt lose your licence as your allowed 6 in the first 2 years :D

Laddey

FH is my second home
speeding is 3points i think, so you wouldnt lose your licence as your allowed 6 in the first 2 years :D
Yeah correctamondo m8r. But 3 points is being on thin ice. Another 3 and i'd be fucked. Up shit creek without a paddle

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It would have to be a very anal copper who booked you for anything more than 37 in a 30. It happens, but it's rare. Stick to within 10% of the limit and you should be fine, speedos are not accurate so the 10% leniency is fair,

Laddey

FH is my second home
It would have to be a very anal copper who booked you for anything more than 37 in a 30. It happens, but it's rare. Stick to within 10% of the limit and you should be fine, speedos are not accurate so the 10% leniency is fair,
Thanks mate.

I read that speedos tend to be 1-2mph UNDER the actual speedo reading?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You shouldn't be doing 37 in a 30 zone anyway.

A large percentage of car accidents are caused by some todger driving too fast

Some people have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately, its ofen some poor sod who didn't expect some twat to be driving so fast he doesn't know where to look

Laddey

FH is my second home
The only time I'd be doing 37 in a 30 is when it goes from 30 to a 40 or higher. By the time I accelerate I'd be in the 40 zone so doubt I'd get to 37. Just careless bad luck if I get points. I like to this of myself as a good driver. I've been in a rush before and still havnt exceeded the limit.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You shouldn't be doing 37 in a 30 zone anyway.

A large percentage of car accidents are caused by some todger driving too fast

Some people have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately, its ofen some poor sod who didn't expect some twat to be driving so fast he doesn't know where to look

depends entirely on the road Lamp.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
depends entirely on the road Lamp.

What he said ^^

What of dual carriageways with 30mph limits on?

What of the parts where 30 is applied because they can't be bothered to seperate a long, open straights between built up areas?

There are plenty of roads in the country where limits are placed on them because of one-off accidents that almost always involve someone who's not been paying attention rather than someone going 'too fast'.

I've been on one of these speed awareness courses and one of the first things they said when it started was "Its not speed that is the problem, its the inappropriate use of speed."

For example - Motorways are statistically the safest roads in the country, and yet how many people abide by the speed limits on motorways? impossible to put a figure on that, but as a regular motorway user I can tell you that the percentage is bloody low, almost everyone's going over the limit.

Speed limits on thier own solve nothing, and keeping to them religiously does not necessarily make you a 'good' or 'safe' driver.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
ACPO guidelines to all constabularies are this:

The enforcement level is set at the speed limit + 10% + 2mph.
30mph + 10% + 2mph = 35mph
40mph + 10% + 2mph = 46mph
50mph + 10% + 2mph = 57mph
60mph + 10% + 2mph = 68mph
70mph + 10% + 2mph = 79mph

That's the figure that the laser speed camera is set to. On a 30mph limit road, you can drive at 34mph and not trigger it. Drive at 35mph and it will trigger a hit, record the video frame at that second AND print out a hard copy at that moment.

The operator aims the crosshair at a flat surface on the vehicle (usually the number plate) and pulls the trigger. It fires 3 laser flashes in 300ms to get calculate your speed. If you've got a laser detection system in your car, you've already been caught when it warns you. The range on the laser camera is about 800m or roughly half a mile.

To give you my personal example, I was ticked at 57mph on a single-carriageway section of the A5 by West Felton which was NSL. I saw the van way down the road and I was already under the limit from my point of view. I was surprised when I got the NIP 10 days later, and it was because I was driving my work's Ford Transit Connect. West Mercia Police class it as a goods vehicle of less than 2.5t and so the NSL is 50mph. Thankfully I had a clean licence and it was exactly ON the enforcement level so I was offered a speed awareness course.

Appollo

Part of the furniture
If you read any car forum the 1st "get out of jail" clause so to speak is to ask for proof of the calibration certficate for the gun. Its a requirement for the gun to be calibrated everytime its removed from its case (iirc this was told by traffic copper on a forum), if it gets to that stage ofc.

Laddey

FH is my second home
ACPO guidelines to all constabularies are this:

The enforcement level is set at the speed limit + 10% + 2mph.
30mph + 10% + 2mph = 35mph
40mph + 10% + 2mph = 46mph
50mph + 10% + 2mph = 57mph
60mph + 10% + 2mph = 68mph
70mph + 10% + 2mph = 79mph

That's the figure that the laser speed camera is set to. On a 30mph limit road, you can drive at 34mph and not trigger it. Drive at 35mph and it will trigger a hit, record the video frame at that second AND print out a hard copy at that moment.

The operator aims the crosshair at a flat surface on the vehicle (usually the number plate) and pulls the trigger. It fires 3 laser flashes in 300ms to get calculate your speed. If you've got a laser detection system in your car, you've already been caught when it warns you. The range on the laser camera is about 800m or roughly half a mile.

To give you my personal example, I was ticked at 57mph on a single-carriageway section of the A5 by West Felton which was NSL. I saw the van way down the road and I was already under the limit from my point of view. I was surprised when I got the NIP 10 days later, and it was because I was driving my work's Ford Transit Connect. West Mercia Police class it as a goods vehicle of less than 2.5t and so the NSL is 50mph. Thankfully I had a clean licence and it was exactly ON the enforcement level so I was offered a speed awareness course.

Thanks mate.

So i have 0 points at the minute. If i was to be caught, would i be offered a speed awareness course? If so does this cancel out the 3 points on my license? (if i get them) how much does it cost?

Thanks again m8r

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
A speed awareness course is offered in place of 3pts/£60 fine. It still costs £60, but all you give up is an afternoon of your time and perhaps the fuel to travel to it. They are usually offered to people with a clean licence and who were ticked only just over the enforcement level. If you've attended one then you won't be offered another within 3 years. If you get ticked again in that time then you just get the 3pts/£60 with no offer of the course.

The courses are clever in using a combination of praise and aversion. They tell you that you're a "good" driver because you chose to go for the course while also hammering home the message that inappropriate speed is the killer. The one thing that you *have* to do is engage with the course because the course provider feeds back to the local police about attendance. If you just sit back and not get involved then it is noticed and could be considered a failure to complete the course.

Laddey, if you were doing 33mph give or take 1mph then don't worry too much about it. It is a legal requirement for a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) to be issued within 14 days of the offence so if you go more than 2 weeks without a letter then you know you were ok.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks for the input mate. Exactly what I asked for ;) appreciate that.

Quick question... How do you know all this? Just research or... ?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Look at my location.
Now remember who the Chief Constable was for this area up until last year. :)
That's right, Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom.

If you live in North Wales, you learn very quickly how the law applies to speed cameras because they turn up practically EVERYWHERE. There aren't many gatsos but the camera vans are out on various roads all the time. Chances are if you drive more than a couple of hours a day, you'll pass a camera van somewhere.

I found out a lot of this because of personal experience. I got ticked twice in 8 days in a hire car back in 2004 and I wanted to be sure what I could and couldn't do in future. So partly experience, partly research, partly wanting to get one over on the authorities. :)

I also spent an interesting hour chatting with a van operator about how the kit worked. He was chatty and pleasant about it, demonstrating how it works on cars coming towards him as well as away from him (negative speed on the screen).
Oh yeah, if you have a jammer then expect to have a visit from the plod not long after passing a van. Anyone who comes up ERROR on 2 separate occasions is automatically recorded for further follow up.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Look at my location.
Now remember who the Chief Constable was for this area up until last year. :)
That's right, Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom.

If you live in North Wales, you learn very quickly how the law applies to speed cameras because they turn up practically EVERYWHERE. There aren't many gatsos but the camera vans are out on various roads all the time. Chances are if you drive more than a couple of hours a day, you'll pass a camera van somewhere.

I found out a lot of this because of personal experience. I got ticked twice in 8 days in a hire car back in 2004 and I wanted to be sure what I could and couldn't do in future. So partly experience, partly research, partly wanting to get one over on the authorities. :)

I also spent an interesting hour chatting with a van operator about how the kit worked. He was chatty and pleasant about it, demonstrating how it works on cars coming towards him as well as away from him (negative speed on the screen).
Oh yeah, if you have a jammer then expect to have a visit from the plod not long after passing a van. Anyone who comes up ERROR on 2 separate occasions is automatically recorded for further follow up.

Cool thanks man. So i should be ok! Touch wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom