Mobile Quadro and games

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I've just bought myself a new laptop, thsi puppy
HP Compaq 8710w Mobile Workstation overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
because i need a proper desktop replacement and i get this at a stupidly low price at work (well under half retail price) However i have been looking about on the web and can't find a definitive answer to how good the quadro 1600m is at gaming. I know it's basically a 8700m gt with optimised drivers/hardware for open gl, but some places advocate putting the drivers for that on to make it perform as the consumer card, i was wondering if anyone has any experience of that.

Admittedly i'm going to be using the machine more for photo processing, but would like to attempt to play some games on it...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi yaruar

I haven't had experience with the Quadro cards, but you're right that the 1600M is essentially just a 8600M (the 8700M is just an overclocked version, so it depends what your 1600M is clocked at). Either way, you should be able to happily game on it, but of course it will begin to choke if you run Crysis et al. with high settings.

My advice would be to try gaming with the default drivers. If you're not happy, see how far you get with the normal drivers (you may need to use a modified version for them to install, like those provided by LaptopVideo2Go). I'm not sure how this will impact the performance in professional applications, though, because as you say the Quadro cards and drivers are optimised for those tasks.

Happy gaming!

Kind regards

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Hi yaruar

I haven't had experience with the Quadro cards, but you're right that the 1600M is essentially just a 8600M (the 8700M is just an overclocked version, so it depends what your 1600M is clocked at). Either way, you should be able to happily game on it, but of course it will begin to choke if you run Crysis et al. with high settings.

My advice would be to try gaming with the default drivers. If you're not happy, see how far you get with the normal drivers (you may need to use a modified version for them to install, like those provided by LaptopVideo2Go). I'm not sure how this will impact the performance in professional applications, though, because as you say the Quadro cards and drivers are optimised for those tasks.

Happy gaming!

Kind regards

I'm kind of thinking at the moment to dual boot the machine anyway with vista and xp so i might well try out a few different things with the xp install to optimise the drivers if possible. It's actually annoying, i'm not bothered by the quatro, but because we only get discounts on professional and workstation machines this was my only option to get a WUXGA 17 inch screen on a laptop, if i was paying full retail price i'd get a much better machine with a top of the range consumer card.
Unless anyone out there wants to buy a boxed laptop workstation off me for a slight discount so i can buy somehting else :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
In my experience the Quadro cards on lappies were fairly dire, but then again I've only really used the NVS 110/120's etc - mine is a cut down 7300 (eww). Not at all good in much else apart from extremely optimised engines like Quake 3/Quake 4 and the likes.

Same will apply on yours I think - you'll probably find Source engine stuff runs rather well, but shite like Crysis and most other EA games will struggle.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
In my experience the Quadro cards on lappies were fairly dire, but then again I've only really used the NVS 110/120's etc - mine is a cut down 7300 (eww). Not at all good in much else apart from extremely optimised engines like Quake 3/Quake 4 and the likes.

Same will apply on yours I think - you'll probably find Source engine stuff runs rather well, but shite like Crysis and most other EA games will struggle.

fortunately i'm not all that bothered by the latest games as long as it runs photoshop lightroom quickly i'll be happy and a few games from a couple of years ago.

Kryten

Old Cow.
That's where the Quadro's will come into their own - they're really rather well suited and indeed optimised for that sort of thing, so I don't think you'll be dissapointed ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom