"mobile" generation has difficulty remembering small facts

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I read on some "research" site. Tbh not just the so called mobile generation, but me too. I remember back before there were mobile phones and pda's and such things everywhere (yes, I am old), and I remember that I knew the (home heh) phone number of every one of my mates and when their birthdays were and stuff.
Nowadays, I know my own phone number, my gf's, my mum's home phone and that's about it. I know my gf's, my mum's and one mate's birthdays, and for everything else I am reduced to either my work's agenda or my phone (or the shock of hearing a friend ask me a day beforehand if I'd be inclined to come over for their birthday party) o0

Anyone else similar?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nope. I try to make a point not to rely on my phone too much. Still have to of course, but I make the effort. Same with things like passport and NI numbers, and I always try to do mental arithmetic as well - its great to see the look on people's faces in shops etc when you beat their calculator or till :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Remember that all of those things were back before you had other things to remember and focus on too. Like work, medication, family life and stuff. All you really had to think about (in many cases) was school and your mates.

It must just be a thing about getting older than getting lazier with our brains. My parents always had a calendar scribbled all over with birthdays and things on, and phone books.

Personally I always remember really, really mundane and pointless things. I have trouble remembering what year I was married in, but can remember the last three number plates from my parents' cars when I lived there.

Phone numbers and security codes I'm useless at too, but I remember the patterns to type them in on number pads and the like.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
This is why phones have phonebooks, calendars, notepads, alarms, etc... ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Phone numbers and security codes I'm useless at too, but I remember the patterns to type them in on number pads and the like.

hooray, i thought i was the only one who did this. i can't remember my internet banking login but i know the key sequence, same with pincodes and some phone numbers.

my memory is full of useless trivia but i can't remember my dad's birthday

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I think there is a lot more things to remember as well.

Also having speed dials doesn't help in remembering numbers as you don't dial them using that round dial thingemy anymore. I think thats one reason you remember the number because if you make a mistake you had to start all over again...

Ive never remembered peoples birthdays etc as my memory isnt great to start with...and as I get older it's certainly getting worse!!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i can remember long strings of numbers pretty easily but ive got problems with remembering names, peoples faces and dates (even though i can remember numbers). when people come upto me and say "hey tris" most of the time i just play along and pretend i know who they are and agree to what ever they question me on.

i can also remember useless stuff like babs and when i recall those memories people around me dont know what im talking about, so for all i know i could of imagined it.

now i just need to remember to put the dates into my phone :(

Draylor

Part of the furniture
We had problems remembering things so we invented devices to do it for us.
We had problems remembering anything at all so we invented google.

Theres not alot of reason left to remember anything :D

TdC

I'm horrible at birthdays and faces/names. Also, my gf is forever prattling on about this or that celeb, and I never know who she means (but that is more from not being particularly interested in celebs heh).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its not that we're less intelligent, its that there is simply no need to remember things like this. We have devices that do it for us, so we can do other things.

Mind you, I've completely forgotten how to do joined up handwriting....

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm having trouble remembering stuff these days as well. Don't think it's anything to do with my mobile phone tho.......

:D

TdC

lol me too Tom. I can barely write or do sums in my head, but I can type blind+10finger stylee , program, operate complex machinery and play FPS games badly ;)

Bods, I have had a few incidents where I'd attributed it to other things, but that does pass after a while ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Sometimes i forget i've already typed a particular sentence. What's even weirder is that sometimes i forget i've already typed a particular sentence.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know my own mobile number even though I've been using it for 3 years, I have to ask my wife what it is if someone asks me for it. I don't know the reg number of my car either, or any car I've ever owned. I do remember my friend's number from when I was 8 though, 58403. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm having trouble remembering stuff these days as well. Don't think it's anything to do with my mobile phone tho.......

:D

You know, when you said that, this is the tune that entered my head:

http://tinyurl.com/2z4xbn

I'm sure you'll get it, others may not :D Just think about that bit where the Dude crashes his car :D

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm crap with phone numbers, but I could reel off plenty of numbers from a decade ago. I can, somewhat uselessly, remember the last 3 digits of a lot of current numbers but only because my phone displays the number for about 2 seconds before it switches to the contact name when someone calls. :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
more room for other stuff. I can now fill my head with movie trivia and prolog syntax.

leggy

Probably Scottish
10 years ago we only had to remember local numbers (i.e. without the area code as we knew that). Mobiles weren't quite so popular.

In the end it doesn't matter though. Memory isn't necessarily a function of intelligence.

Try remembering the important things and let your phone/PDA do the rest.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I always make it a point to memorise my girlfriends numbers. But many the time have i forgotten my phone, and asked a friend if I could borrow his so I could phone home, only to realise, rather embaressingly, that I cant even remember my home phone number.

Its only 8 digits long as well.

*sigh*

Plus after coming back from holiday once, I forgot my PIN code for my bank card. Had to spend the next 2 weeks walking to the bank to get money out manually until the new PIN arrived.

Am I suprised I got a C in Maths GCSE? No.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I've remembered all my static IP addesses when ever I got them, yet I can just about remember my mobile number. That's scary... Hell, I can remember the IP for the machine I used most in college.

Mobiles are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom