MMORPG History ?

n00b

Loyal Freddie
Well i would like to know a little more about mmorpg history, first games, groundbreaking games and so on.
I am doing a work in school about MMORPG history and would like to know what happened in that scene between the years of 1995 to 2000. Any help is apreciated because i dont find anything by googling.
Thanks in advance.

Jesus christ almost forgot i was doing about all kind of online gaming like Quake, Counter Strike and so on, if you know anything about them i would love you long time :D

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Do some googling on MUDs and MUSHs, back before the fancy shmancy graphics days. Some of the earlier ones with nice GFX would be things like Meridian59.

Chilly

Balls of steel
first, there was the MUD! text based multiplayer dungeons like (iirc) nethack (although that might have had an awful gui - cant remember) things like StarMUD were very large but only text based (this was way back mid 90s I first heard about MUDS but they were around long before then, im sure, I was only a kid at the time)

ultima online was the first real graphical mmorpg I think to have any real success, and it was HUGE.

n00b

Loyal Freddie
great great keep this coming, love you guys :p

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Nethack wasn't/isn't a MUD, it's single player offline. The awful gui, well, tbh there isn't a GUI. There's an ascii display of the dungeon and just about every key does something different, but there is very little in the way of UI tbh.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
as far as i remember - there were moshes muds and moo's

n00b

Loyal Freddie
lets keep this at the years -95 to 2000, what was groundbreaking and new to online gaming those years ?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Well, you obviously have quake, and more importantly quakeworld with its (at the time) amazing netcode. Dreamcast may also be worth a mention, taking consoles online (properly) for the first time just at the end of the period you specify, and even have a MMORPG of its own in Phantasy Star Online.

n00b

Loyal Freddie
tohtori i wanna kiss you irl !! :worthy:

any info about FPS online games that came those years ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
nethack.jpg

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Ultima Online > all

It's what got me into MMORPG's although offline i did enjoy a nethack clone called Rogue.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Heh rogue was the original. That's why nethack style games are called 'rogue-likes'

Yaka

Part of the furniture
WPKenny said:
Ultima Online > all

It's what got me into MMORPG's although offline i did enjoy a nethack clone called Rogue.

same ere, that and quake = servral days in a week doing all nighters so much so that even me mum said i look like a drugie :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom