Mmorpg Addiction

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
i think having small breaks, 1 or 2 days is a very good idea from daoc, constant play for weeks and weeks can make you ill. i read recently about a chinese mmorpg player who did a 20 hour session and died. :mad: so if you are feeling a bit wobbly, take a day off or something, when you come back you will feel alot better and in the mood for a rampage in the frontiers. i havent been on last couple of days coz i have been suffering from a rather painful migraine, feel better today tho and will be on tonight, curry in one hand sword in the other, ready to stamp on a few luris and kneecap a few trolls :cheers:

Asq

Fledgling Freddie
Painbringer said:
...i havent been on last couple of days coz i have been suffering from a rather painful migraine, feel better today tho and will be on tonight...
Lol... talking about a migraine keeping you from playing the game but returning as soon as you feel (slightly) better... addiction?? :p

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
hehe i won't be on for long, couple hours at most, and aye been addicted for the last 30 months :drink:

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
But wheres the Fing-lish? 2 posts in a row that are far too easy to understand - youve got to understand why we doubt you :p
he stopped drinking too ? lol

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
the day i decide to stay in and play daoc over going out with my m8s is the day i seek help its all about balanace i have no trouble seperating my rl and my pc i play daoc when i got nothin else better to do givin the choice ill always go out.

Karnat

Fledgling Freddie
Well ToA made most ppl play even more hardcore than they would have been before toa. At least i know i played loads more than what i did before and somehow i regret 2 have spent all that time with ToA and honestly if i knew now how time consuming ToA has been i doubt i would have bought the expansion. Saying this im really happy that im done with ToA and can concentrate on RvR with a bit less stress :)

The introduction of mls etc have made the game funnier imo tho i sure could b without shrooms and grapple.

The advice 2 take a couple of days break from DAoC from time to time is actually a great one.

But yes DAoC is addictive and if u cant cope with it then best is 2 sell the account or delete your chars.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I was definately addicted for a long while. I did chose to stay in and play instead of going out with irl friends and other things. TOA seems to have cured me. What actually did it was mid-TOA reading about Mythic already working on another PvE expansion to come out after Frontiers, plus the icky things in Frontiers. I couldn't face doing TOA knowing I would have to do it all again in a few months. I work full time and play 6 hours behind everyone else so it's hard enough to rvr much less do the crap that is TOA.
I think I am cured :) I lent my account to a cutie as a bbot/pf bot and I logged it in to make sure the payment went through ok. I didn't even feel...anything. I miss my friends and the fun that was fg rvr, but I think that time is gone, for me anyhow.

I am playing L2, but considering I log in for 2-3 hours maybe 5 days a week, I dont' feel addicted. I really don't have any passion for L2, it might be a good game someday but atm it's a pretty beta with alot of annoying people. :) When I get my own pet dragon, it might be a different story.

WoW doesn't appeal.

Btw strond, I found ciggies alot easier to give up than daoc :)

Tilda

chipper said:
the day i decide to stay in and play daoc over going out with my m8s is the day i seek help its all about balanace i have no trouble seperating my rl and my pc i play daoc when i got nothin else better to do givin the choice ill always go out.
I agree. As Yaruar said, for me daoc is a time filler. If I wasnt playing daoc, i'd be watching TV, playing tennis or hockey or something. I agree with chipper also, in that given the choice, i'll always go out.
Recently i've esed off my play time so I revise for exams more, but 10 hours a day is probably my limit, I cant revise for much more than that, and I find a session of DAoC helps me to relax after it.
DAoC is fun, and I do agree with some points in the article, however while its fun, I dont find myself sacrificing other parts of my life so I can play it.
However, I do like the friendlyness of DAoC, and I do enjoy talking to all my "friends" there. However I dont know how i'd handle meeting them, you have all these images in game of people from how they act in game, and then they totally change when you meet them irl, well atleast thats what I think may happen.

Missing you as ever stron :wub:
Have you considered Dragon Empires lots of the crew (Amb, Ali, Beeks and possibly Parl) as well as myself, are all looking at it very interestidly(sp!)
All exams being well might be down in Southampton in september! :eek6:

Tilda

swords

Can't get enough of FH
well tbh if it weren't for the guys i started playing with way back when (who i still play with today) i would have quit a long while ago.
TOA was a bitch i will agree as i was quite happy the way it was, i had the SC suit and i was on par with everyone else in rvr.
now im TOA'd etc and on par with the high level so i can log in and play when i fancy.

it'll be often cos its summer break and all but if the option to go to the pub came up etc i'd be out drinking so i doubt im addicted :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I was and continue to be addicted, but certain RL things have made me retire from the game. I catch myself thinking about logging in "just to check it out", but I have made a promise, not only to myself but to someone I cherish. Therefore, I must do my damnedest to remain strong and not fall for the temptation, but it is hard currently (I stopped playing only this past weekend). I'm sure it will get easier as time goes on.

A part of me hopes that I will be able to come back to the game in some months' time when I have broken the addiction, but the other part hopes I will have the strength never to play again. However, everyone must be allowed to have their hobbies, so if I was certain I could keep it at that, a part-time hobby that would not make me neglect other aspects of my life, I would think about returning sometime in the future. However, I have no way of knowing this and it currently feels far too risky. :(

Silverblast

One of Freddy's beloved
Sorry if I missed something, havent read through the replies as Im in a rush but I had to say this.
If you want to give up a game like daoc, dont just quit instantley, move on to a less addicitve/more time worthy game, look for a game which doesnt require you to play for long intervals of time, one which goes at YOUR own pace.
Over time, reduce the amount of play time per day, and have alot of fun with your RL in that time you just removed from you play time.
Eventualy this SHOULD trick your brain and remove the addict part of you :D.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
most people are addicted to tv, they come home from work and watch tv until they go to bed - whats the difference if i come home from work and play daoc until i go to bed?

at least i have some mental interaction with my addiction rather than the tv fans who just sit there goggle eyed at some trash.

(at least i interact with MY trash :p )

Ghaladriel

Fledgling Freddie
Moo said:
most people are addicted to tv, they come home from work and watch tv until they go to bed - whats the difference if i come home from work and play daoc until i go to bed?

Agree :drink:

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Quit for 2 months - just got back on the game - starting from scratch again. Played Call of Duty in between.

At least with DAOC my eyes dont hurt :wij:

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to stop with a game, better stop using the PC at all for the games then. Internet is the bad thing :p Like, you stop DAoC, but visit these forums, players talking, you get interested.. and bang.. ur activating your account.

Same with other games i think.. it's hard indeed. But a right balance should be possible for everyone.

Domain

Fledgling Freddie
Hello Strondor , how is going ? :) . I have find your post really good, cause it's full of importants thing sometimes we dont care.I am going to the answer here the question who we can read in the second link you posted in the main post, about quest to how to beat the addiction.I hope stron you read my answers :) maybe some people will scary with the answers or who knows, but i am not going to lie ,since this is a important and constructive post, very very helpfull.

Would you rather log into your online game than spend time with friends in person? - sometimes i prefered to play instead of going out ( cannot say here yes or no imo )

Are the majority of your friends gamers as well, who mostly get together for LAN parties to play games such as Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, or Diablo? - many friends are gamers , but we dont lan a lot, maybe 1-2 times per month ( cannot say yes or no here either imo )

Do you try to find ways of playing your online game when you're not at home? - no

Do you skip appointments, miss classes, or miss days of work because you're at a critical point in your online character's advancement or adventures? - no

Are you finding yourself flirting with those of the opposite sex in the game, to build a relationship, rather in person? - no ( danger here - this is a serious thingie, we all are in the danger to fall, because like humans we all can feel strong feelings, and when "thewub" starts nobody can stop it , i say this cause people i know fell in this and later they suffered hard )

Do you deny addiction to an MMORPG, but somehow still feel the need to play, or just keep your character and possessions updated (you may be masking it by pretending you're having fun)? - hm , dunno how to answer this question because i dont deny about addiction, but thingie is I only play to improve team play and rvr ( maybe this can be considered update ur char ).

Do you feel your heart racing as you control your character in a flee from danger? ...to save his or her virtual life? ...when stumbling upon some serious loot? - no

Do you feel a sudden rush of intense joy and relaxation after you safely manage to steal, pickpocket, or murder another character? - yes i feel ok after i have played well and feel angry when i dont do ok, maybe cause of my way of use the game.

Do you experience stronger emotions while in your online game than you do in real life? i dont undertand this well, but lets see , cry : never - angry : ye a lot when i dont play ok - laugh : if there is someone person who doesnt laugh anytime playing the game, plz QUIT ASAP!!!! - happy : ye, i feeled this many times when i saw players who quitted time ago and they started again for example ( i would be happy if strondor played again for example xD )

Ok done now with all the answer :) - plz dont flame too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom