Mmorpg Addiction

strondor

Fledgling Freddie
As a player who chose to "take the red pill" about half a year ago (and who is still finding it VERY painful to maintain the willpower not to resume DAOC) I found the following research paper quite interesting: clicky

Anyone looking for help beating MMORPG addiction might like to try this : clicky (although, if your'e not religious {like me}, you'll want to ignore the "12 Steps" crap).

I'm posting this thread because i still consider many of you guys as good friends. Feel free to flame me (but do ask yourself why you are reacting so strongly). Feel free to ignore this too (as a 30 a day smoker i know what a pain-in-the-ass ex-smokers are!).

P.S. /big hug to everyone. :fluffle:
P.P.S. I appreciate i'll prolly become just as addicted to WoW when it comes out, but, hey.

Bellona

Banned
Hi mate :D

nice to hear from you, atm im going to stop myself, after having the worst exam results ever, and knowing that its my addiction to daoc that caused it, im going to quit daoc when next semester starts.

had one break that lasted 3 months a while back, but got back somehow :eek:

but this time, im pretty sure ill stay away, I dont want to risc my education over a online game, its certainly too much to loose for nothing :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i am addicted, half the time i dont even enjoy myself in daoc but then you get the highs like when you are outnumbered and win. for someone looking in from the "real world" that may sound sad but hey its how i get my online kicks. I have a job i have a house i have a wife, she understands that i play this game, actually early on in our relationship we discussed my gaming and she said she would never stop me doing it as its something i enjoy, my hobby. If you can find the balance between RL and online life then you are fine i think, though i have to agree, trying to give up daoc (or any mmorpg) is like trying to give anything up its hard and you do get "cravings" good one m8 for staying away so long, keep it up :)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Hard to call it really, in this day and age who is it to say whats healthy and what isn't? Smoking causes cancer but people still do it, jumping off tall buildings will leave you a crushed pile of goo but people still do it.

So really considering what will apparently happen to me if I keep playing online games I think i'll say to hell with it and roll a BD ;)

Yeah i'm probably addicted, and when the next 'big game' comes along i'll probably be addicted to that as well. Maybe people I consider friends ingame arn't actually my friends. But at the end of the day i'm the one choosing to play, i'm the one choosing to make those online relationships and if I screw it up (which thankfully i've yet to do - too much anyway :D) then i'll go with it, isn't that what being an adult's about afterall? Taking responsibility for your decisions and making the best out of what comes of them.

Happily addicted,
Archeon ;)

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
online gaming is a hobby!

and if RL would not be so boring i would try that maybe little harder
but atm im just looking new game to play 16h+/ day

and yes i have sometimes probs with daoc, its still damn good game, 1 of the best on market, but still wanna stay out from it because it has more negatives things than positive things when i look it, and when i find a game with more positive things will start to play it loads.

and peeps can research it what they wanna i dont care, when u get into online gaming then u know what it is and if u get kicks from it, why to stop?

its more cheaper than sitting at pub.
its more healthy than using drugs.

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
I would say Im not addicted as I always choose to go out with friends before playing, only play when I have nothing to do!

Nice to hear from you again Strondor

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
What nurtures me kills me, it's a translated latin expression.
The problem isn't really as complex as Nicholas Yee presents it though, so I'd like to simplify.

Addiction is very much about perspective, beeing addicted to a drug is a real damage because the toxins kill your brain, beeing addicted to a mmorpg/computers in general damages your social abilities but you remain healthy aslong as you eat well and sleep well.

Everything we enjoy has a little touch of addiction, my father enjoys playing golf, that's what he does on his spare time, that's what he talks about at work and that's what his friends like to talk about too. In a way they are all addicted because that's whats usually on their mind whenever they find some peace, though it doesnt damage them in anyway (maybe a golfboll in the head).

The dark side is the day you loose control and neglect the 3 simple things that keep you healthy, cause aslong as you're healthy nobody can tell you you're doing something wrong because you're enjoying yourself without damaging yourself.

So the simple 3 things are eating, sleeping and going to school/work.
Balance theese and you got nothing to worry about because you're making a concious choice whilst aslo controlling it.

Btw, you can cut out the school/work from the list if you're a rich brat that don't do anything, you deserve your symptoms then :b

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Fin said:
online gaming is a hobby!

and if RL would not be so boring i would try that maybe little harder
but atm im just looking new game to play 16h+/ day

and yes i have sometimes probs with daoc, its still damn good game, 1 of the best on market, but still wanna stay out from it because it has more negatives things than positive things when i look it, and when i find a game with more positive things will start to play it loads.

and peeps can research it what they wanna i dont care, when u get into online gaming then u know what it is and if u get kicks from it, why to stop?

its more cheaper than sitting at pub.
its more healthy than using drugs.

I spy with my little eye, someone who surely can't be the real finthevasta :D

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
Yes, that's so right, you do what makes you happy but do it in an orderly manner :b

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Having played table top role play for 2 decades and gotten frustrated over the lack of continuity in groups, rl issues from people, peoples working times, practical matters mostly, i found mmorpg a pleasant change from the problems asociated with table top rpg`s.

Having played computer games for even longer now, i got frustrated by the anti - social nature of computer games.

No more setting up dates that fit everyone etc. Just logging in and seeing who of the usual suspects is online.

Am i addicted ? Not more than with any other hobby i`ve ever had i think, it`s just the easiest and most convenient hobby i`ve had.

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
Muy, playing computer games is not a hobby, it's a way of life.
Be proud, gamer, we are the new generation that will cut the salaries for the people working in the music/movie industry, this is the silent data revoulution! :b

Now where did my sig go :/

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
It is me Kir actually =)

just cba to buy toa and play =)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Fin said:
It is me Kir actually =)
But wheres the Fing-lish? 2 posts in a row that are far too easy to understand - youve got to understand why we doubt you :p

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
taken from 1 of the site's mentioned:

What Can You Do Besides Play Everquest and Watch TV?

(submitted by Liz)

1. Talk to your signifigant other, and have an actual conversation.
2. Go outside for a walk.
3. Invite company over.
4. Go visit your Mom.
5. Go visit your brothers or sisters.
6. Go for a swim.
7. Go camping.
8. Read a book.
9. Go to a movie.
10. Cook a nice meal.
11. Play with your children. Take them to the park.
12. Clean the house.
13. Mow the yard.
14. Ask your S.O. if they can use some help.
15. Spend time with your children.
16. Wash clothes.
17. Go grocery shopping.
18. Rent a video.
19. Go to a concert.
20. Go to the gym.
21. Go to Church.
22. Volunteer to help.
23. Fix up the house.
23. Get another job, so you can pay all of your bills.
24. Play ball
25. Get a job
26. Do the dishes
27. Go mini golfing
28. Ride your bike
29. Go to a party with your “real” friends.
30. Take your kids shopping

25. Get a job

wtf ... thats pushing it to the limit i think

beta_rurik

Loyal Freddie
rewozz said:
The dark side is the day you loose control and neglect the 3 simple things that keep you healthy, cause aslong as you're healthy nobody can tell you you're doing something wrong because you're enjoying yourself without damaging yourself.

So the simple 3 things are eating, sleeping and going to school/work.
Balance theese and you got nothing to worry about because you're making a concious choice whilst aslo controlling it.

There are many more things to life that must be accomplished to keep you healthy than eating, sleeping and school/work. The three things you listed would be fine if we all lived in caves but not modern day life. If you ONLY did those three things, you would not be living a particular healthy life. Many people live like that and don't even realise the seperation and damage they are doing to themselves. I don't think you can summarise a healthy existence with sleeping, eating and working. That type of lifestyle is called being in denial. Time to move to Egypt. ;) hehe

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
for me games are what I do in my spare time. doac is a time filler for me, i enjoy it but rarely does it take precident over other things. Although my girlfriend might argue as she gets annoyed when i'm raiding or in groups and can't get up and make her tea ever half an hour.... I've sometimes played more, sometimes less, i'm quite happy to put on a dvd in the evening or watch telly or play games, no difference to me. I hold down a difficult job with long hours, a long term relationship and a wide social circle, and play.

Apathy

Loyal Freddie
I believe I really have quit DAOC. All I have to do now is break my addiction to eBay, where I buy DAOC accounts, play for a few hours and then sell them a week later for £5 profit.

Stay strong, Strondor! FOCUS!

a.

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
Addiction: being abnormally dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming.

The description is very vague, its hard to say where the line goes imo :b

strondor

Fledgling Freddie
Apathy said:
I believe I really have quit DAOC. All I have to do now is break my addiction to eBay, where I buy DAOC accounts, play for a few hours and then sell them a week later for £5 profit.

Stay strong, Strondor! FOCUS!

a.

Amagad! Apathy has become the Gordon Gecko of DAOC - Corporate raiding accounts, asset stripping and selling them on! I blame all globalisation on Apathy!

p.s. who will give me odds on whether Apathy can resist making a double-entendre on the phrase "asset stripping"!? :flame:

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
DAOC was a timefiller for me but since I noticed that I actually didn't play for fun anymore I kinda stopped playing. MMORPGs (or any other online game with no single player way) can be very addictive. And once you get started you really like the numerous people you meet (and some you don't like at all too) and chat a lot with em to feel somehow connected. And once you try to stop you actually start to miss the people more then the game (although many think it's the game that attracts em, don't confuse this with people who do enjoy the game).

Since I've played MMORPGS I hardly wanna go back to the singleplayer way. Only really good and fun single player games can grab my attention but at this stage the game market is kinda flooded with rts, fps games. And they differ mostly in units and appearance. Boring to put it simply.

And yes as so many I'm waiting for the next good MMORPG to get the gaming blood boiling again. And this most likely will be WoW as I'm very satisfied with the games blizzard made so far. Ow and also a thing you notice a lot is that people somehow wanna force their view unto other peoples about anything. Never forget it's you that decides what's fun, what's good, what's bad, cause you are the one who can make an own choice about something...

PS. Some people blame the game for failing tests, breaking up with girlfriends, but it's actually you yourself who needs to take control back. And I'm glad some people do notice that indeed. And no hard feelings cause MMORPGs can be very addictive!

Apathy

Loyal Freddie
strondor said:
p.s. who will give me odds on whether Apathy can resist making a double-entendre on the phrase "asset stripping"!? :flame:

No time for double entendres when I am busy whipping you for being naughty. :p

a.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
kirennia said:
I spy with my little eye, someone who surely can't be the real finthevasta :D
Pfft, can't be, the real Fin would not spell this well! :D

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
omg =)

okies, i think i been 2 souber the last few months

i try to stay out from the wagon more often then

and i know some1 hazed my old account here and i hope its deleted =)

what i need to say anyway to u that u dont understand me, huh =)?

2 days ago i was so close to buy toa, but then i didnt....
still waiting my beta test accepts from hmm, 10 games lol

while waiting i read here some

P.S. and i wanna be pacman master =)

strondor

Fledgling Freddie
Fin said:
omg =)

That's more like it - proper good ol' Finglish! :clap:

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Fin said:
omg =)

I just thought was strange cause your last posts were being extremely negative about DAoC flaming the DAoC community too :p Also I thought you were still old.fin so thought this was an imposter :D

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
sinse starting playing daoc single player games dont appeal to me atall, if i get a game like wc3 its straight to the multiplayer as single player is just missing sumthing.

fetwelvezz

Loyal Freddie
Yeah it's called multiplayer, it's the new thing everyone plays, or so I read in "Cool Guys Magazine".

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
beta_rurik said:
I don't think you can summarise a healthy existence with sleeping, eating and working.

You can, not with hamburgors/french fries tho.

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
The day you can type Y-E-S to quit an addiction i might consider daoc as a serious one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom