mmmkay so

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Wow well, have I ever been doing things wrong. I have, or rather, I had a glass cannon hota barb, for its level that is. I have been plugging along the game bored with basically everything. I have two chars, both 60 + some change and I just couldn't be arsed with the whole meta game at all. I've been in the chaos realms, got my arse handed to me and decided I couldn't handle the grind because it was dull as fuck and the drops are piss.

I started watching some vids to see how the mega nerds play and lo and behold it's vastly different to me and boy was I clueless I unashamedly can say. I've always soloed, and I have no real desire to get in to online play, let alone with a completly flawed barb as it turned out I had one. What I discovered from watching some vids is this:

My barb, while capable of dealing fairly large damage, isn't right for the game. He deals big damage but is hella hella hella slow. He had very inefficient fury generation, and I was making really poor use of the massive overpowering capabilities a barb can have, to the point where for example I'd say my 60/5 monk would very likely take the 60/35 barb out easy as can be. I had a defensive setup focussed on life for barb, with a slow but high DPS weap with massive %ages on crits and crit damage. On MP5 I have a fairly easy time but....it's....just...so....slooooow to grind.

Reading, or rather watching up heh I decided to change my build in to something more of a fury engine. I went the fairly cliché route of a whirlwind/hurricane barb with all the tested fury / life generators on. Also, I checked out some of the decent xp routes for acts 1/2/3, finding I liked 1/2 much more than 3. Did this do it for me? Unfortunately no: my weapon, a Skorn, was just too fucking slow to keep me interested in grinding as it would take multiple playthroughs of say...festering woods / fields of misery / northern + southern highlands to pop a paragon level, with 60/30 that is something like 50M xp so I was getting something like 17M xp an hour.

As of today, as I destructively decided to not write my end of semester presentation but to invest some hard won gold in the AH while that is still open to get a dual wield setup with both weaps having medium dps but with attack speed %ages as high as I could find them for the least possible amount of gold. Anyway, I ended up spending about 1.2M gold on the Bul'Kathos sword set and I was itching to see if the extra attack speed would do it. Turns out that it does, although it's currently touch and go as I have to learn a whole new style of playing (0_o). I have absolutely massive fury generation now, although it took me a while to work out how to keep WOTB running well. With enough mobs I can keep it going usually until the cooldown is over, if not after that, but I find that currently at MP5 I am killing mobs too quickly and thus need quite significant amounts of them to keep going. I worked out I got about 20M xp for 25~30 mins play at this level, so I am quite happy with the investment given that I am now making xp over twice as fast as I did before.

If anyone is interested, I've never played online with D3 and will have some time between 20th Jan and the first week of Feb. Let's see about a Freddygame or two and maybe grab some sweet lewts (fat chance tbh). Gissashout then gwaan dont be scared :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm up for that but I'd be starting a new character as I only bought D3 pre-crimbo and frankly Saints Row 4 is too awesome to put down.

TdC

derp herp I have no idea if that will work online, but hey ho roll up a char and play through the story a bit to get used to it. I'll power-level the shit out of you for a bit and who knows we may find some sweet lewts. At the least we'll get some xp in :D

TdC

let the world know that @MYstIC G and I played with each other last night. he gained 10 levels! :D

tbh it was a blast playing, and nice meeting the other guys too Gbacon :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
let the world know that @MYstIC G and I played with each other last night. he gained 10 levels! :D

tbh it was a blast playing, and nice meeting the other guys too Gbacon :)
More innuendo, huzzah! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom