Minimum Ages for Licenses?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Hi, well recently i broke my shoulders badly & had to leave the british army. So now i'm on civi street, unemployed and kinda' fed up.

So i was in a world of my own one night, and come up with the idea of a Forklift License, but one problem i'm only 17. Could anybody possibly tell me the minimum age for these following licenses (I've tried google/ask jeeves etc)

Class 2
Class 1
Forklift
ADR (Hazmat/Hazardous)
Crane.

Forklift is the main one due to the fact i'm still a youngster, I think class 1 maybe 20-21 not sure about the rest. Well thanks for your time. ;)

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a mate who drives a fork lift at a whole salers, he had to wait till he was 18 to get his liscance, not sure on the exact class though as I think the larger counter balanced ones are a different liscance.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Ok thanks alot. I'm quite sure it's 17 for the smaller forklifts. None of those 4x4 all terrain military forklifts. Just the basic small ones for loading artics.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
You can join the army when you are 17 in the UK? Thats got to be against the UN convention on child soldiers. :eek7:

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Fana said:
You can join the army when you are 17 in the UK? Thats got to be against the UN convention on child soldiers. :eek7:

16 I think.

Feel free to tell me to fuck off Laddey, but I was just wondering how you managed to break your shoulders?

soze

I am a FH squatter
DVLA said:
Minimum ages for driving

At 21 - buses, large lorries with or without trailer, large road rollers and tracked vehicles.
Large motorcycles (unless meeting two year qualifying period earlier).

My company has a 21 limit on forklifts so they may be company specific, 21 is prolly cheaper insurance

Mey

Part of the furniture
UrganNagru said:
I've got a mate who drives a fork lift at a whole salers, he had to wait till he was 18 to get his liscance, not sure on the exact class though as I think the larger counter balanced ones are a different liscance.

Damn you Tom, you beat me too it!

Sorry to hear about your short career in the army btw :(

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:

can join when your 16, then after you hit 18 you have to stay for another 4 years. Till your 22. If you join at 18 you just have to join for 4 years.

I believe, i may have this wrong though.

Mey

Part of the furniture
I think your right 16 for training, 18 for active service (i.e going to war)

Again could be wrong.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cozak said:
16 I think.

Feel free to tell me to fuck off Laddey, but I was just wondering how you managed to break your shoulders?

Well, long story. Since I was 6 i've had Subluxing Shoulders (dislocating, loose ligerments(sp) holding my shoulder in) and over 9 weeks of training (out of 12 week intense course, devostated) the pressure built up, and tore my ligerments when i was doing a PT lesson and also cracked the socket joint. On my left shoulder it only tore a ligerment, so i lied abit. Then i had surgery and its ok now. Lifetime barr though.

You can join at the age of 16. As soon as you do your Oath of Allegeance (sp) at the age of 18 you're bound to a 28 day minimum contract for Basic Training. Once you leave basic you sign up to 4years or leave the army.

BTW anybody planning on joining its a f*cking great laugh in basic training.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
You can get your forklift licences (both counterweight and reach - you need to do both really) when you are 17. However most companies won't employ you to drive forklifts until you are 18 because of insurance. They may well give you work younger, just not to drive the forklifts.

Incidentally, depending on where you live if you go through Learn Direct you can get the Forklift licence training for free...and you can get both done within a month (although they generally won't take you until you are 17 and 6 mnths). They'll also put you in touch with emplyers. If you're anywhere near Birmingham let me know and I can get you fixed up. Good luck :)

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Can join the TA at a younger age than 16 I think.

Just a bit of a brag: America's Special Forces are trained to the standard of the UK's basic infantry. \o/

The Welsh are > UK basic and IRA just own. Scots are just fucking nutters so I don't think they can be judged.

I want to go play with guns and wear laser vests so I can shoot people :D Sniper ftw.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Laddey; go learn a trade man. I know school isnt for everyone and you may want to do something "real" like building or plumbing, and there is alot of work in the trades and due to our strong economy which isnt slowing down for quiet some time you can be in a strong finiancial position doing a cool job in a few years.

Its something to consider.

Sorry to hear your army career didnt work out as you planned.

Tilda

A friend of mine started plumbing at 16, he's learning loads while i'm still at uni! :D

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Laddey said:
Well, long story. Since I was 6 i've had Subluxing Shoulders (dislocating, loose ligerments(sp) holding my shoulder in) and over 9 weeks of training (out of 12 week intense course, devostated) the pressure built up, and tore my ligerments when i was doing a PT lesson and also cracked the socket joint. On my left shoulder it only tore a ligerment, so i lied abit. Then i had surgery and its ok now. Lifetime barr though.

You can join at the age of 16. As soon as you do your Oath of Allegeance (sp) at the age of 18 you're bound to a 28 day minimum contract for Basic Training. Once you leave basic you sign up to 4years or leave the army.

BTW anybody planning on joining its a f*cking great laugh in basic training.

Jesus that sounds nasty mate :/

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I advise signing up to a college course in something you are interested in to be quite honest.
17 isnt really old so you got pleanty of time to brush up on new skills rather than go to a job with limited prospects (no offence to fork lift driver peoples).
Take up a trade thats currently in short supply and go frelance if you cant think of anything such as plumbing. electrician etc etc.

Most important advise, go see your local career's advisor, nearly every town has one its a free rescource funded by your local council use it, thats what its there for and they WILL know alot more than anyone here can advise you and more importanltly know where the labour shortages in your area are (unless by some chance your local careers adisor is reading this post : O )

I went to them and the lady i was assigned to was brilliant, i started a job and was only allowed fay release to finish my course, i didnt want to just leav eit but my college at the time refused to let me do it part time. She found me a new college and even pulled a few favours to get me enrolled on a full time course but let me attend day a week.

Just my 2 cents

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
I advise signing up to a college course in something you are interested in to be quite honest.
17 isnt really old so you got pleanty of time to brush up on new skills rather than go to a job with limited prospects (no offence to fork lift driver peoples).
Take up a trade thats currently in short supply and go frelance if you cant think of anything such as plumbing. electrician etc etc.

The problem is finding a course you want and getting on it - most plumbing and electricians courses are full / have a long waiting list. The forklift licence can be gained in a month, can earn you up to £10/hr once you get a little experience and can tide you over while waiting to get on a more substantial training course (which I agree is worth going for). So it's well worth doing for someone who doesn't have something lined up at the moment. Plus it's something that can always be used if you find yourself out of work - just sign up with an agency and with the reach & counterbalance licences (not many people have both) you will always be able to find something to tide you over.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Bracken said:
You can get your forklift licences (both counterweight and reach - you need to do both really) when you are 17. However most companies won't employ you to drive forklifts until you are 18 because of insurance. They may well give you work younger, just not to drive the forklifts.

Incidentally, depending on where you live if you go through Learn Direct you can get the Forklift licence training for free...and you can get both done within a month (although they generally won't take you until you are 17 and 6 mnths). They'll also put you in touch with emplyers. If you're anywhere near Birmingham let me know and I can get you fixed up. Good luck :)

That sounds sweet. I'm going to the job centre in an hour and see what they say.

my dad's been a class 1 driver for 11 years, i've been on the road with him abit. So what i'm planning on doing is getting something to tide be over til i'm 21, put in for my HGV License and it pays for itself within a month or two.

The problem with trades/aprentices is that they're full, with a massive waiting list and so on. Plus i want my own haulage company with 'Sturdy Haulage' on the side of the trailers ;) We can all dream can't we :)

And the Irish army (can't remember the exact name) where the first into iraq. That's what the corporals said in basic anyway :p mean't to be well trained. Then again they also said the British Army is the best army in the world, due to the best discipline.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry to hear the news about the army dude :(

Can't give you much advice myself as not got much clue about HGV license's etc..
All I can say is that if Bracken offers you some extra cash to dress up as a goat - don't do it !!!

Laddey

FH is my second home
rofl.

Well found out, age 17 is minimum age, 378 quid + VAT. So £404 quid. I start on the 26 June ( a month on friday ) and it's kinda' hard to fail it. Only the biff's fail it!

Marc

FH is my second home
aye, learn a trade. Personally id go for plumbing. There is a huge shortage of good plumbers in the uk. Mate of mine whos tax return I do, earned £64k last year from plumbing and he says its easy.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Haggus said:

The Welsh are > UK basic and IRA just own. Scots are just fucking nutters so I don't think they can be judged.... Sniper ftw.

You want to perhaps rephrase that? The IRA are a terrorist organisation that have killed hundreds of people over the years and planted so many bombs I doubt anyone knows where each one was any more.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Gamah said:
Nevermind I'm sure you'll pass the second time :<

lol ok. I'll past first time. I'm confident etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom