Rant mini rant

Olgaline

FH is my second home
So this past weekend I travelled to Legoland with the family, and it was a great fun trip. But it got me thinking abit, see the thing is, we dont have a car, but latelty I've been thinking why the fuck dont we get one ?

Now I know It more expensive to own a car on the grander scale "insuranceses, weight taxations ect and so on....

But atm at least in Dk if you cut it down to expencese for a single trip, it becomes abit rediculouse, especially when the goverment says it wants to encourages you to use/take plublic transport.. :s

anywhoo the bottom line was that for this trip we spent 720kr (72£) for two adults on a return ticket [bus+train] had we taken/rented a car it would "in petrol cost us roughly 200kr [20£] on a return trip thats roughly 20ltr's for a 200km trip with two adults and a child. so it's calculated with 10-11km pr ltr petrol "fair" imo.

to add to that we've had a couple other trips around to visit family ect and since this vacation I've come to realize it would actually have been waaaaaay cheaper and a fuckload more practical had we retend a car for the week :s

so whats the fucking point in public transport ? "town busses not included" they are actually cheaper
Rant off,

Mey

Part of the furniture
This is why so many people don't want to to go to public transport!

realistically it just is not viable for many and owning / running a car is far cheaper in the long run, not to mention more convient.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
public transport, in the UK anyway, is a fucking joke.
For example, when I travel from bristol to kent, or vice versa, thats one train, underground in london and then another train. with my Student Rail card and book say two weeks in advance, that's £11.50 each way generally, sometimes £18 return which is pretty good i think. I stupidly thought I had my railcard over easter, when in fact I left it at home, the ticket checker bitch, said i'd have to pay for a new ticket... or i'd get thrown off ... £81, one way. There is no justification in charging £81 to go from bristol to kent, i could fucking fly to Ireland for 1p but get on a shitty train for that.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Aye, there's a whole "green campaign" or some such, help the economy of the city etc, PR bull going on around here too.

Use public transportation etc etc...save environment...help the economy or some such...

Yet, they keep upping the prices.

Mey

Part of the furniture
public transport, in the UK anyway, is a fucking joke.
For example, when I travel from bristol to kent, or vice versa, thats one train, underground in london and then another train. with my Student Rail card and book say two weeks in advance, that's £11.50 each way generally, sometimes £18 return which is pretty good i think. I stupidly thought I had my railcard over easter, when in fact I left it at home, the ticket checker bitch, said i'd have to pay for a new ticket... or i'd get thrown off ... £81, one way. There is no justification in charging £81 to go from bristol to kent, i could fucking fly to Ireland for 1p but get on a shitty train for that.

Just make sure you have your ticket in advance! christ, was running abit late so ran for the train rather than going the ticket machine/office. Phew I thought I made it! Go to find the train inspector to get a ticket (I was near the back where they are anyway)! Ask for a saver return (show student railcard).. You can't do that you have to pay full price on the train.. Now i can understand doing that for people who are trying to dodge faires, but ffs man I went and found you, told you why I hadn't got a ticket and you still charge me £50.. Twas a good job I had my debt cards with me..

I wouldn't mind if the trains were actually half decent.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I walk everywhere, it's pretty cheap that way! When I need to go long distances i blag lifts from unsuspecting kind hearted friends by convincing them they want to go where i'm going.

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
I walk everywhere, it's pretty cheap that way! When I need to go long distances i blag lifts from unsuspecting kind hearted friends by convincing them they want to go where i'm going.

Sounds like a plan :)

Oh btw can you drop me off in Vegas on your way through :D

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Just make sure you have your ticket in advance! christ, was running abit late so ran for the train rather than going the ticket machine/office. Phew I thought I made it! Go to find the train inspector to get a ticket (I was near the back where they are anyway)! Ask for a saver return (show student railcard).. You can't do that you have to pay full price on the train.. Now i can understand doing that for people who are trying to dodge faires, but ffs man I went and found you, told you why I hadn't got a ticket and you still charge me £50.. Twas a good job I had my debt cards with me..

I wouldn't mind if the trains were actually half decent.
It was cheaper for me to drive to work in london than it was to go by train before the congestion charge...
There is no such thing as a saver, student or any other form of discount if you work in a 9 to 5 job.
Because you laughably pay more on-peak (when the trains are full thus costing less to run) than you do when it is off-peak (when the trains are epty, thus costing more to run)
Public transport is nothing but a money grabbing monopoly for the most part

Olgaline

FH is my second home
hehe, aye but aflik the argument or rather reason for that price set is to gert poeple to travel during off-peak but tbh imo thats a sad excuse to raise the prices, to get the full potential of the highest amount of passengers. as when you've got to be in at work at 08am, your boss wont exactly be understanding of the fact that off-peak is cheaper now will he ?

but i can maybe see how it would make tho's who have a choice take the later train thus increasing the number of passengers pr train in the off peak hours.

but! wouldnt it make more sence to increase the number off trains during peak and lower it during off.peak to acommidate passenger numbers ? and thus level it out and have a fixed price no matter the time of day/night ???

but back to my origional rant, ;)
Tbh i wouldnt mind if the price was about the same as a car, or even maybe abit higher but these days, at least in Denmark it's gone heywire! and basicly we'r being bombarded with as Toht so well put it a load of green awareness bull! and at the same time they bloody bleed every once of blood out from our not yet cold bodies!

720kr for two adults for a 200km trip! "with seat reservations"

now just to proove my point lets imagine we drove down there in a real muscle car and a return trip actually cost us a full tank of gas, "usually thats about 40ltr" and lets take a max possible gas price of 11kr pr liter, so thats 40x11 thats 440kr "44£" thats 220kr pr person for the full trip! as opposed to 360 with public transport.

now this becomes even more rediculouse if you add 2 extra people to the car
so now you have a total of 440kr vs 1440kr

so tbh screw green awareness bullcrap! Olga's getting a car!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Public transport is one of those wonderful self shafting circles.

You don't have enough passengers to be able to run the service, so you put up the price. That means more people stop using it and so you need to put the price up again.

The ONLY way to run public transport successfully is via taxes. So everyone pays for the service to be run, then you can either use it for free or a tiny fraction of the running cost. I'd take the train to work every morning if it cost 10p or something like that amount. It actually costs over a pound, so I drive..

It really only makes sense if you can get everyone using it. The Tube in London works fairly well since you can use it to get round fairly quickly, there's enough people that use it that you can afford to run a train every 5 minutes. Out of London when you need to take 3 buses to get to your destination and can wait up to 40 minutes for each one to arrive it's simply not worth it. Especially when you can drive the same distance in 30 minutes more cheaply.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
buses in Perth Australia are actually free to get on within the city centre.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
And a student ticket in Sydney costs around £10 for a week for all buses, trains and ferrys within the city!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
busses are a fucking con.

my house to town is about a 3.5 mile journey and it costs 2.05 each way!!
i can get 15 miles off a litre of petrol and thats only (i say only, fucking hell) 1.10p a litre.

car is still cheaper even though it costs a fucking tonne.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I live in london and think the transport aint that bad. Without an oyster card it's a total con but with one, combined with the fact you can get the train without paying for most short journeys or walk means i don't ever end up paying too much.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
I live in london and think the transport aint that bad. Without an oyster card it's a total con but with one, combined with the fact you can get the train without paying for most short journeys or walk means i don't ever end up paying too much.

It works in places like London center because there's a crap load of people all wanting to go from A to B at time X.
As soon as you move away from a major city center your screwed, since there's probably only going to be 2 or 3 people wanting to make the same journey at the same time as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom